Stolen credit card help

fishofearth

Reaction score
Hi
My wallet got stolen 2 months ago when I was working in USA.
I only realized it when DBS sent me a sms at the 22nd transaction that was made on my dbs esso card.
At the next minute after I realized this, I called up dbs immediately to report fraudulent transaction and cancel the card. At which point I did not know the scale of fraud yet.
After which I immediately logged a report with the building that I was in and asked to see the cctv footages. Unfortunately the office was going through a renovation phase and there was no cctv available.
Following that I made my way to the police station is US to report the theft.
On the way to the police I was call Uob and Chase to cancel my cards with them. While doing so, I recieved a notification from citibank that a transaction was made on my citibank card. I called citi immediately and reported fraud as well. Citibank cso told me they will cancel the card and reverse all transactions immediately. There was 4 transaction on my citi card total amount to about sgd 1k.
About an hour later, the dbs cso called me back and told me that a total of 22 transactions made on my stolen dbs card, the largest being above sgd 1k, which was the transaction that triggered the sms from dbs. At this point I had no idea how much was any of these transactions.

After the police report was made in US I travelled that night back to Singapore and when arrived, went to the police station at changi to make another report. This was as per the advice of dbs cso.

Then there was no news from dbs for a number of weeks. I was last told that the case would be investigated by dbs and they would call me back on it.

A few weeks later I recieved the statement from dbs and the fraudulent transactions totalled sgd 10k. I immediately called back dbs to check on the last investigation, the cso said she need to check and would help me apply temporary credit for this. Also around the same period, I recieved citibank statement and the fraudulent charges were all credited as per citibank cso saying these were not my liability.

About 6 weeks from the lost , a csm called me and asked me to submit the police report etc to her so she can fwd them for investigation

About 2 months from the whole thing, dbs called me back and told me they are willing to offer me a 30% discount on the fraudulent charges and I was liable for 70% of them as theses were secured transactions (still don't understand when did credit card became secured lending?) also they said the 30% offer is out of goodwill. I disputed this and was told they will relook.

A week later the conclusion is the same.

Throughout the conversation with dbs, i felt that the csm was trying to drive the conversation towards which my wallet was stolen because I left it all around. Initially I did not understand why she kept repeating that point. After I learned of their first conclusion I went to read up on abs tncs and realized there was a clause that says cardholder is liable if they were grossly negligent. I tried to explain it to the csm when she called back, but am not sure if she gets the point. I tried to protect my belongings by keeping it out of plain sight in a not easily accessible spot. Nonetheless my office was searched all over and hence my wallet stolen

Tldr: I understand that my liability is sgd 100 for lost/stolen card. I am not sure how dbs can conclude otherwise and make their own conclusion. Was wondering if anyone had anything similar and any advice for this.
Thanks

vbhelper

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
when u lost ur wallets, why u didn't inform the bank immediately?

fishofearth

Reaction score
when u lost ur wallets, why u didn't inform the bank immediately?

I was in a series of meetings. The moment I realized my wallet was lost was when I received the dbs alert. Which I immediately called dbs.
So I did inform the banks at the moment of loss

fr33d0m

Master Member
Reaction score
I was in a series of meetings. The moment I realized my wallet was lost was when I received the dbs alert. Which I immediately called dbs.
So I did inform the banks at the moment of loss

You did not realize your wallet was stolen until SMS came while your office was searched all over? Is it kind of gross negligence?

What did you think you lost?

nokiatech

Reaction score
What was the (estimated) timeframe between u losing yr wallet and when u received the DBS SMS alert ?

fishofearth

Reaction score
You did not realize your wallet was stolen until SMS came while your office was searched all over? Is it kind of gross negligence?

What did you think you lost?

I don't think so? I did tried to keep my wallet secured in my cabinet and went for a workshop/meeting in the morning.
I didn't realize the theft has occurred because I didn't need my wallet to attend a meeting.
My office is a controlled access environment.

fr33d0m

Master Member
Reaction score
I don't think so? I did tried to keep my wallet secured in my cabinet and went for a workshop/meeting in the morning.
I didn't realize the theft has occurred because I didn't need my wallet to attend a meeting.
My office is a controlled access environment.

It is negligence to me that you knew your office was compromised, but you did not realize that you lost your wallet until DBS SMS.

In another way, if there was no DBS SMS, it would take you even longer to realize you lost your wallet after you knew your office was searched all over.

fishofearth

Reaction score
It is negligence to me that you knew your office was compromised, but you did not realize that you lost your wallet until DBS SMS.

In another way, if there was no DBS SMS, it would take you even longer to realize you lost your wallet after you knew your office was searched all over.

Sorry maybe I was confusing. But I was unaware that the theft has happened in my office and definitely no idea that the office was compromised.
If I knew about any of it. I would be able to stop the theft from happening right?

fr33d0m

Master Member
Reaction score
Sorry maybe I was confusing. But I was unaware that the theft has happened in my office and definitely no idea that the office was compromised.
If I knew about any of it. I would be able to stop the theft from happening right?

I think I used the wrong word, "while". Sorry for confusion.

You could know after the fact. So you might not be able to stop it.

It is important that you knew it after SMS.

zumaba

Reaction score
By default is $1000, need to call in n special request to $1

okay, unaware for the loss, ..., too troubesome to call in to change the alert to $1...

then anyone can just shake legs and leave all issues to the banks? lol

Last edited:
Reaction score
Did you call the bank bro? They can stop the CC immediately and trace back if there are spendings that are not yours.

juxtaposition

Reaction score
For me even got charge less than $1 by some fishy merchant, I also JJYY n demand new cc to be issued n reverse the charge.

But now the amount is huge so....

okay, unaware for the loss, ..., too troubesome to call in to change the alert to $1...

then anyone can just shake legs and leave all issues to the banks? lol

swordspirit

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Good to highlight is that there is no option to change the alert to $1 in the ibanking for DBS (others to confirm). You had to call in to change it.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.