Digital TV (DVB T2) Consolidated thread VI

dexter9898

Reaction score
Hi,

Off hand i cannot remember the brand. I will check and update again. My parents applied for the free setup box via community centre, then they send someone down to install.

Now the setup is like this:

Recorder > setup box > tv

It used to be:

Tv point > recorder > tv.

Under the old setup, the recorder can be use to record other channels while watching live tv on a different channel.

I somehow cannot seem to replicate this on the new digital box.

If you are using the M1 (New Media Solutions) set-top box, the composite output is copy-protected. You will not be able to use your VHS/DVD/HDD recorder to record anymore.

If you die die need to reuse your recorder, get another set-top box online (like K2) which do not protect it's composite output.

Setup will be something like below:
Indoor Antenna -> K2 set-top box ->Composite out (Yellow/Red/White)-> Recorder-> HDMI/AV cables-> TV set.

Remember to set your recorder to record via AV/Video input as the analogue tuner inside is useless.

Last edited:

dexter9898

Reaction score
Just curious, Anyone knows why is there Ch U SD transmitted on T2 airwaves?

In 2014, Ch U was not upgraded to transmit in HD yet. In the same year, government started giving out free set-top box to low income families. Scare those ah gong and ah ma don't know how to manual scan for the new Ch U service on Ch35, so retain Ch U (SD)

It will be removed by this year. :s12:

P R N D

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just to ask.

Can i bring my parents ic and imda letter to BEST denki to get $100 off on new TV purchase?

Sent from Mercedes-Benz E250 using GAGT

dexter9898

Reaction score
Just to ask.

Can i bring my parents ic and imda letter to BEST denki to get $100 off on new TV purchase?

Yes, but your purchase must include one indoor antenna. Eventually only can get $70 off your TV.

P R N D

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes, but your purchase must include one indoor antenna. Eventually only can get $70 off your TV.

I visit BEST denki website said free antenna.

So i can get 100 off, with the my parents ic and iMDA letter right?

kne33xYl.jpg

dexter9898

Reaction score
I visit BEST denki website said free antenna.

So i can get 100 off, with the my parents ic and iMDA letter right?

kne33xYl.jpg

You better check in-store. If the free antenna is not approved by IMDA, you still need to get one more antenna approved by IMDA. Rigid rules :s13:

P R N D

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You better check in-store. If the free antenna is not approved by IMDA, you still need to get one more antenna approved by IMDA. Rigid rules :s13:
I don't think BEST denki will give antenna that does not work.

Serve no purpose.

gobbie

Reaction score
If you are using the M1 (New Media Solutions) set-top box, the composite output is copy-protected. You will not be able to use your VHS/DVD/HDD recorder to record anymore.

If you die die need to reuse your recorder, get another set-top box online (like K2) which do not protect it's composite output.

Setup will be something like below:
Indoor Antenna -> K2 set-top box ->Composite out (Yellow/Red/White)-> Recorder-> HDMI/AV cables-> TV set.

Remember to set your recorder to record via AV/Video input as the analogue tuner inside is useless.

Thanks for the advice! I just got time to check the recorder n it’s setup. You are spot on as the recorder is using analog tuner to program the channels.

Based on your recommendation to get the k2, does this method allows recording another tv channel while watching live tv at the same time?

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! I just got time to check the recorder n it’s setup. You are spot on as the recorder is using analog tuner to program the channels.

Based on your recommendation to get the k2, does this method allows recording another tv channel while watching live tv at the same time?

all digital set top box and digital tv come with built in digital recorder, you just need to plug in a thumbdrive or usb harddisk.

no point to keep the old analog recorder, unless you ultimate objective is a library of mouldy vhs tapes.

k2 has ant-in and ant-out, so you don't have to buy another antenna, just buy the $20 box will do.

gobbie

Reaction score
all digital set top box and digital tv come with built in digital recorder, you just need to plug in a thumbdrive or usb harddisk.

no point to keep the old analog recorder, unless you ultimate objective is a library of mouldy vhs tapes.

k2 has ant-in and ant-out, so you don't have to buy another antenna, just buy the $20 box will do.

I totally understand, but my old age parents like to record one whole day worth of shows (last i know at least 80-90 recorded shows inside), then slowly see lol.

Moreover they like to watch one channel and record another at the same time.

Which is why the old analog recorder works so well for them, now all digital, sort of mess up their daily routine. So i asking around for expert advice.

ahger_2311

Reaction score
Hi. I will like to ask, when you watch channel 8 on digital tv, it’s considered live tv right? Is there any subtitles on it? Mine seems to have no subtitles sia

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi. I will like to ask, when you watch channel 8 on digital tv, it’s considered live tv right? Is there any subtitles on it? Mine seems to have no subtitles sia

most likely you forget to turn it on, and you can select english, chinese or other languages/

chuppachop

Reaction score
In 2014, Ch U was not upgraded to transmit in HD yet. In the same year, government started giving out free set-top box to low income families. Scare those ah gong and ah ma don't know how to manual scan for the new Ch U service on Ch35, so retain Ch U (SD)

It will be removed by this year. :s12:
IC, thx for the update ..... In HK or even nearby Malaysia, Digital TV means more new Digital TV channels ...... Only in SG, no new channels , every thing status quo in terms of channel count, hiaz.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I totally understand, but my old age parents like to record one whole day worth of shows (last i know at least 80-90 recorded shows inside), then slowly see lol.

Which is why the old analog recorder works so well for them, now all digital, sort of mess up their daily routine. So i asking around for expert advice.

if you have 2 set top boxes, you can view one channel and record another channel.

you can treat the set top box as recorder. it is easier to playback the recording on set top box compared to old analog recorder.

of course, old people are slow in learning new things, so you may have to guide them for many days, until they got used to the new remotes.

dexter9898

Reaction score

People forget that before the digital TV era, TV has one in-built analog tuner and recorder also has one in-built analog tuner therefore they work independently.

If you need to watch and record at the same time, then u need to upgrade to digital TV and a set-top box for recording.

dexter9898

Reaction score
May I know how do you turn on the subtitles? Is it through the antenna or?

You using New Media Solution or Draco set-top box? Just press the sub.T or subtitles button on your remote control.

Not all programs have subtitles, and some are already burnt into the video. Check the program info to see if subtitles are available.

dexter9898

Reaction score
IC, thx for the update ..... In HK or even nearby Malaysia, Digital TV means more new Digital TV channels ...... Only in SG, no new channels , every thing status quo in terms of channel count, hiaz.

Singapore have about the same number of FTA channels compared to MY. Suria, Vasantham, Ch U and OKTO are all not operating 24 hours anyway. Plenty of air-time to slot in more shows during non-prime time.

There is also the Toggle Red button on LG and Sony TVs, Toggle app on Samsung TV, & even Chromecast. Due to modern lifestyle, viewers can watch all the old programs on demand via internet, no need another channel like HK just to broadcast all the old programs.

ahger_2311

Reaction score
Mine is only Funke antenna on Lg smart tv.. just bought the tv less than 2 weeks ago.. I can’t find subtitles option sia

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.