Compact tripod for travelling

Beefsteak

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm a totally newbie to photography.
And considering getting a tripod and bringing it along for my travels especially when I travel solo.
Currently looking around for a tripod which is compact and light enough to be carried in a backpack. Don't need a high end one because I will only use it when I'm travelling.
Budget probably about the range of $100 to $150 or less

Currently using a compact m4/3 camera. Pan GX85

Need some advice and recommendations from experts here.
Thanks.

Last edited:

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What camera are you using ?
Without this info, how to recommend ?

hacktic

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
how about a Joby gorrilapod...quick setup just need to find a firm standing structure to attach to.

setting up/taking down a tripod is quite cumbersome. 3 legs quick release or turns....by the time u set up, maybe that photo opportunity is over
a monopod with legs is faster but usually not stable

lightweight = carbon fiber and they will cost you.

hacktic

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i've previously used a yunteng 288...very versatile fast to set up but gets flimsy as height increases...so weight it down or support the legs with your bag if you do get it. u dont want your camera crashing down
value for money ballhead...very fluid for video panning

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You must also take into account the lens you will be using.

fongwk8

Reaction score
Otherwise you can look at another brand: Sirui. I've been using this brand for quite a while. I think its value for money though.

chiaRH

Reaction score
best recommendation is to visit those stores that sell tripod and try to hands on and mount your camera onto their display unit to see how it feels, you may learn one or two things that helps your purchase decision, ESPECIALLY the weight cos different people have different comfort zone on how heavy they can comfortably lug around for travel.

eg. last year i bought a sirui t-025x from tk foto at plaza singapura, found that the ball head that comes with the tripod is kind of troublesome to use cos the quick release plate doesnt have the flip out handle for you to turn the screw(the tripod even gives you a allen key to turn it) so i got a separate ball head to mount

For your camera size it also depends the lens used as they can be a huge factor in the total weight. Some tripods like the cheap Yunteng ones imo are better for smartphone mounting as they are really so light that supporting a mirrorless camera may be less stable.

Beefsteak

Master Member
Reaction score
I realised those compact and light tripod are usually of shorter height.
So it means you have to bend down your body to look through your viewfinder right?
Guess it's something I have to sacrifice if want light weight and portability for travel.

fongwk8

Reaction score
I realised those compact and light tripod are usually of shorter height.
So it means you have to bend down your body to look through your viewfinder right?
Guess it's something I have to sacrifice if want light weight and portability for travel.

Even for the same height tripods, you can choose to have a 3-segment tripod leg, or 4, 5-segment tripod legs... The more segments, means the tripod will be more compact (but weight still same same). The cons of having more segments is that you might suffer from stability (if a very strong wind come blowing). Price wise, the number of segments also about the same.

fongwk8

Reaction score
I'm looking at Sirui now. May I know which particular model are you using?

My model obsolete liao (I bought it since 2012, and still using it now). You can drop by TK Foto @ Plaza Singapura to try out the Sirui tripods.

I see a trend that more tripod makers are introducing a tripod-monopod 2-in-1 thingy, where you can detach 1 leg from the tripod and use as a monopod. These are more expensive. So you really have to see what are your needs and buy appropriately.

Beefsteak

Master Member
Reaction score
My model obsolete liao (I bought it since 2012, and still using it now). You can drop by TK Foto @ Plaza Singapura to try out the Sirui tripods.

I see a trend that more tripod makers are introducing a tripod-monopod 2-in-1 thingy, where you can detach 1 leg from the tripod and use as a monopod. These are more expensive. So you really have to see what are your needs and buy appropriately.

Your tripod able to extend up to eye level?
I saw one. Sirui T-025X carbon fiber but expensive about $180. Suppose to be the lightest and most compact. But can only extend up to max 130cm which seems quite short.

hacktic

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

i use a Q666..there are lotsa variant (makers) for it

fongwk8

Reaction score
Oh ya... If you're into photography (and don't see yourself quitting photography within the next 5 years), please invest in a carbon fibre tripod... Now I'm stuck with my heavier aluminium tripod liao... Every time I go hiking with it, I cannot forget about the aluminium weight vs carbon fibre weight...

kanchiko

Reaction score
got anything budget anot

Oh ya... If you're into photography (and don't see yourself quitting photography within the next 5 years), please invest in a carbon fibre tripod... Now I'm stuck with my heavier aluminium tripod liao... Every time I go hiking with it, I cannot forget about the aluminium weight vs carbon fibre weight...

hawthorne

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Gitzo traveler series 0 or series 1.

Always buy the best u can afford. I bought many cheaper tripods in the past, finally bit the bullet to get a Gitzo and never looked back since.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.