Lastest S$ Deposit updates - Part 3

xiaonajia

Reaction score
Want to ask fellow edmw...why need to be so concerned about SDIC 50k limit?

Has there ever been cases when SDIC had to step in because bank collapse, exclude great recession in 2008+?

If park money in FD above 50k with reputable or government-backed/state banks with good rated assets, whats the risk and what's MAS guideline in terms of getting our money back for foreign banks if they fail?

If risk is low, why be so concerned about 50k SDIC limit?

lzydata

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Try liao say maybank td offer 2.05.

So if 100k meaning the safer direction is 100k put 2 person so 50k each right? So worst scenario sdic will cover right?

Tia

Well technically the overall interest earned with the 2.05% promotion will be less because Maybank requires that you place at least 10% of the FD amount in a savings account that earns 0.1875% pa (up to $50k). For the interest return I would say the 2.00% pa promotion is better.

https://info.maybank2u.com.sg/promotion/deposits-banking/isavvy-td.aspx

And I agree with xiaonajia that usually we don't need to worry about SDIC coverage particularly with big banks such as Maybank. Maybank is one of the domestic systemically important banks designated by MAS. Aka "too big to fail"? But also subject to more supervisory measures and capital requirements.

In addition, SDIC coverage is going up to $75k per person per bank in April.

havetheveryfun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Want to ask fellow edmw...why need to be so concerned about SDIC 50k limit?

Has there ever been cases when SDIC had to step in because bank collapse, exclude great recession in 2008+?

If park money in FD above 50k with reputable or government-backed/state banks with good rated assets, whats the risk and what's MAS guideline in terms of getting our money back for foreign banks if they fail?

If risk is low, why be so concerned about 50k SDIC limit?

some ppl r just super paranoid.. if u have elderly parents or relatives you should understand.. some of them are very scared of seeing just a digit in their bankbook, scared bank never update their passbook etc and so on..

some ppl can even say SSB is not safe even though is government guaranteed. becuase the government owe big debts due to investments not doing welll and need money (?????????????)

but never say never though.. lehman brothers was also thought to be too big to fail back then..

Last edited:

tiertime

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
always dun hv to worry until something happens, ultimately own decision and blame no one else when such things happen

Mr.Canberra

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
but never say never though.. lehman brothers was also thought to be too big to fail back then..

always dun hv to worry until something happens, ultimately own decision and blame no one else when such things happen

As the Hokkien saying goes, "If you sway, rear bird also can fly away."

AAA rating government bonds I also don't trust 100%. We just have to diversify our risks into different currencies to hedge and protect purchasing power.

Too big to fail is a scam. :s13:

archcherub

Reaction score
Well technically the overall interest earned with the 2.05% promotion will be less because Maybank requires that you place at least 10% of the FD amount in a savings account that earns 0.1875% pa (up to $50k). For the interest return I would say the 2.00% pa promotion is better.

https://info.maybank2u.com.sg/promotion/deposits-banking/isavvy-td.aspx

then like that the current OCBC $110 NTUC voucher for every $10,000 FD (mut hold for 6mths) is better mah.... abt 2.25% pa

wah interest rates keep going up, and the best deal is barely 2.25%

hwarzoner

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi guys for those who got like 500K cash and afraid of bank run so you guys spread to more than 10 banks for the 50K SDIC protection ?

ixora2007

Reaction score
Can share the URL?

Can see this promo on ocbc website but when I click for more details, it keeps going back to same page.

Go down to the branch n ask, you need to sign a form there no matter u open a new account or use existing account. It is ending by this month.

yongsaver

Reaction score
hi guys for those who got like 500K cash and afraid of bank run so you guys spread to more than 10 banks for the 50K SDIC protection ?

u can joint name with your loved ones...that is 100k protection. then just 5 banks will do. if u cannot find a loved one you can trust,...do PM me,..:s13:

for that kind of cash, best to buy wholesale bonds. not only possible to get 5% coupon,...sometimes lucky can enjoy capital gains also...:D

i used to waste time and literally money putting money in FDs...:s22:

OCBC Bank

Suspended
Reaction score
Can share the URL?

Can see this promo on ocbc website but when I click for more details, it keeps going back to same page.

Go down to the branch n ask, you need to sign a form there no matter u open a new account or use existing account. It is ending by this month.

Hi both,

The Terms & Conditions for the promotion can be found here: https://www.ocbc.com/personal-banki...assets/pdf/passbook-statement-cny-tnc2019.pdf

Do note that the promotion will end on 31 January 2019. If you are interested, do visit our branches as soon as possible.

If you have further questions, do drop us a private message. We will be here till 8pm.

Otherwise, you could also call our hotline at 1800 363 3333.

^DG

sesame246

Reaction score
Hi both,

The Terms & Conditions for the promotion can be found here: https://www.ocbc.com/personal-banki...assets/pdf/passbook-statement-cny-tnc2019.pdf

Do note that the promotion will end on 31 January 2019. If you are interested, do visit our branches as soon as possible.

If you have further questions, do drop us a private message. We will be here till 8pm.

Otherwise, you could also call our hotline at 1800 363 3333.

^DG

hi,
ending 31 Jan or 28 Feb?

extract from your T&C:
The Promotion commences on 2 January 2019 and ends on 28 February 2019 or such date(s) as may be determined
and notified by OCBC Bank in its sole discretion (“Promotion Period”).

Also, i experienced this nightmare of OCBC sending the vouchers via registered mail using SingPost, It took me almost 3 weeks to retrieve the lost mail. possible to consider Qexpress or a letter to redeem it at NTUC etc..?

OCBC Bank

Suspended
Reaction score
hi,
ending 31 Jan or 28 Feb?

extract from your T&C:
The Promotion commences on 2 January 2019 and ends on 28 February 2019 or such date(s) as may be determined
and notified by OCBC Bank in its sole discretion (“Promotion Period”).

Also, i experienced this nightmare of OCBC sending the vouchers via registered mail using SingPost, It took me almost 3 weeks to retrieve the lost mail. possible to consider Qexpress or a letter to redeem it at NTUC etc..?

Hi there,

Due to overwhelming response, the promotion will end on 31 January 2019.

Thank you for your feedback. We will share it with the relevant department for their review. However, at the moment, all vouchers will be sent via registered mail using SingPost.

^DG

Hulky8

Reaction score
As the Hokkien saying goes, "If you sway, rear bird also can fly away."

AAA rating government bonds I also don't trust 100%. We just have to diversify our risks into different currencies to hedge and protect purchasing power.

Too big to fail is a scam. :s13:

Govt bonds you don’t trust ?
So tell me how do you hedge in different currencies ?

SKenny

Banned
Reaction score

Just buy govt Tbills.

One year at about 2% interest. It is 100% guaranteed by the govt. :s12::s12:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.