Lenovo A485 with no hard disk cage...

moveman69

Reaction score
I recently bought the Lenovo Thinkpad A485 and I am really satisfied with my purchase. Will do a mini review after CNY.

However, just minutes ago, I received my DDR4 16 GB ram from Amazon and decided to open up to install it. To my unsuspected surprise, I realized my A485 did not come with the Hard Disk Cage for future installations of 2.5" SATA SSD. Although I did not choose to have that option in my First Hard Drive selection during the purchase, I always thought I should be receiving the empty cage.

Am I suppose to receive the cage and did Lenovo cheap out on me? Any bros out there who have an A485 can verify?

Here are some pics of my internals

A proper internals with the hard disk cage that I found online

My A485 Internals

Empty...

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Think if you didn't choose HDD, there won't be the cage.
But you can check with Lenovo for it.
You may have to pay for it.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I recently bought the Lenovo Thinkpad A485 and I am really satisfied with my purchase. Will do a mini review after CNY.

However, just minutes ago, I received my DDR4 16 GB ram from Amazon and decided to open up to install it. To my unsuspected surprise, I realized my A485 did not come with the Hard Disk Cage for future installations of 2.5" SATA SSD. Although I did not choose to have that option in my First Hard Drive selection during the purchase, I always thought I should be receiving the empty cage.

Am I suppose to receive the cage and did Lenovo cheap out on me? Any bros out there who have an A485 can verify?

https://i.ibb.co/mRnNdrV/We-Chat-Screenshot-20190130153047.png

My A485 Internals
https://i.ibb.co/4KbQXDt/1.jpg

Empty...
https://i.ibb.co/q9SC635/2.jpg

Sometimes it could be removing unnecessary items in the package may due to transportation &or final cost saving.

The missing item should be the bracket holding the storage drive.

Refer to > A485 User Guide - page 104 Replacing the internal storage drive

Rock-kun

Reaction score

You think companies give people things for free?

Also, you will never be able to install a 2.5" SATA drive in this unit. Lenovo removed the proprietary SATA cable that connects to the mainboard as well. So got cage also pointless.

And before you rant, this is very common practice. Acer goes one step further; a unit sold or configured without a 2.5" drive ships with a different board that removes the physical connector entirely.

kangdi

Reaction score
When I ordered my Thinkpad E585 configured with NVMe SSD, it was shipped with the 2.5" drive cage, dummy 2.5" drive and SATA-Mobo ribbon cable installed in the laptop.

cheesey

Reaction score

My A485 Internals

Empty...

It's normal for A485.

U need to order with the sata or m2 option in order to have the proper cage n ribbon connectors for these drives.

Slowdown

Master Member
Reaction score
Best that you write to Lenovo Customer Services at sgcs@lenovo.com and check with them. Don't bother to call the hotline. They will also ask you to email to the same address.

wtfh4x

Master Member
Reaction score
Best that you write to Lenovo Customer Services at sgcs@lenovo.com and check with them. Don't bother to call the hotline. They will also ask you to email to the same address.

Oh wow they still have the same useless phone line from when I dealt with them in 2016. Do they at least reply the emails on time now?

Slowdown

Master Member
Reaction score
Usually a response after two or more working days. So far all my email was responded. Just need to be patient.

Oh wow they still have the same useless phone line from when I dealt with them in 2016. Do they at least reply the emails on time now?

moveman69

Reaction score
I called the hotline and got a staff (Name him Agent W first, will name and compliment him once settled) understanding that it does not make sense for consumers to be denied the chance to have the option to install a drive down the road despite not having chosen to purchase one from Lenovo in the first place.

Initially he told me to call their eCommerce team and I find that the person picking up the call was very irresponsible and bochap in his job. He first told me that it was not his department responsibility (despite handling order delivery issues like wrong config, etc) and redirected me to the technical support department (where I came from) but Agent W and I agree that if no parts were faulty, there is nothing the technical support team can do.

Anyway I will wait for more response from Lenovo before updating here. My stand is simple: I paid for the laptop, I expect the laptop to be functional as per described in user manual (did mention inside can use a 2.5" or M.2 2280 SSD). I chose not to pay for first hard drive option = I am not going to enjoy the benefit of having extra storage on top of the default 128GB M.2 2242 SSD.

moveman69

Reaction score
When I ordered my Thinkpad E585 configured with NVMe SSD, it was shipped with the 2.5" drive cage, dummy 2.5" drive and SATA-Mobo ribbon cable installed in the laptop.

The cheaper e485 has it :s13:

Funny thing... the ecommerce guy said E series is low-end series, so also dont have the 2.5" bracket if never choose at the point of purchase... hmm seems like a taichi king to me

moveman69

Reaction score
You think companies give people things for free?

Also, you will never be able to install a 2.5" SATA drive in this unit. Lenovo removed the proprietary SATA cable that connects to the mainboard as well. So got cage also pointless.

And before you rant, this is very common practice. Acer goes one step further; a unit sold or configured without a 2.5" drive ships with a different board that removes the physical connector entirely.

Thanks for the reply but I agree to disagree with you bro. I am not ranting here, just trying to find out if any bros here have the same issue as me and had it resolved. If no bros here have the same issue i'm going through, I'd just have to be the first and stand up for my rights as a consumer and have this thread become a source of reference for future bros who may encounter the same issue.

End of day, rant so much, no action taken to resolve the issue, whats the point?

Last edited:

cheesey

Reaction score
I called the hotline and got a staff (Name him Agent W first, will name and compliment him once settled) understanding that it does not make sense for consumers to be denied the chance to have the option to install a drive down the road despite not having chosen to purchase one from Lenovo in the first place.

Initially he told me to call their eCommerce team and I find that the person picking up the call was very irresponsible and bochap in his job. He first told me that it was not his department responsibility (despite handling order delivery issues like wrong config, etc) and redirected me to the technical support department (where I came from) but Agent W and I agree that if no parts were faulty, there is nothing the technical support team can do.

Anyway I will wait for more response from Lenovo before updating here. My stand is simple: I paid for the laptop, I expect the laptop to be functional as per described in user manual (did mention inside can use a 2.5" or M.2 2280 SSD). I chose not to pay for first hard drive option = I am not going to enjoy the benefit of having extra storage on top of the default 128GB M.2 2242 SSD.

Well, as u said "I chose not to pay for first hard drive option = I am not going to enjoy the benefit of having extra storage on top of the default 128GB M.2 2242 SSD", this is no lenovo fault.

Overseas peeps who bought the A485 without the choosing the first hard drive option also got an empty slot, i dun really know what u kpkb about?

moveman69

Reaction score
Well, as u said "I chose not to pay for first hard drive option = I am not going to enjoy the benefit of having extra storage on top of the default 128GB M.2 2242 SSD", this is no lenovo fault.

Overseas peeps who bought the A485 without the choosing the first hard drive option also got an empty slot, i dun really know what u kpkb about?

I think you may have misunderstood me. What I am biting on with Lenovo is that the extra price quoted by Lenovo on their wesbite for the first hard drive option should be for the DRIVE itself and not for the capability of the laptop to support a drive.

Do you have evidence to substantiate your claims for overseas peeps having the same issuetoo? Please share it here if you have them.

Last edited:

cheesey

Reaction score
I think you may have misunderstood me. What I am biting on with Lenovo is that the extra price quoted by Lenovo on their wesbite for the first hard drive option should be for the DRIVE itself and not for the capability of the laptop to support a drive.

Do you have evidence to substantiate your claims for overseas peeps having the same issuetoo? Please share it here if you have them.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T480-Storage-doubts/td-p/4035226

Both A485 & T480 shares the same exact chassis.

moveman69

Reaction score

Thanks for the link. Seems like our overseas friends are experiencing this shyte from Lenovo as well. Rather surprised that nobody has raised it to Lenovo as although I acknowledged that this may be universally done, but that does not make it universally correct to do so.

I would have no issues if they explicitly state it during the point of purchase as it would definitely have an influence on my final decision.

Anyway Agent W from Lenovo Technical Support is looking into my case now. Fingers crossed that something can be done.

cheesey

Reaction score
Good luck n hope Lenovo will do u good.

I know abt the missing Sata/M2 cage bcos i'm planning to buy the A485 too n had been doing research on it.

All in all, A485 is a good deal but for those who r getting 1, remember to factor in the first hard drive option of either sata or m2, for future ease of upgrading.

moveman69

Reaction score
Good luck n hope Lenovo will do u good.

I know abt the missing Sata/M2 cage bcos i'm planning to buy the A485 too n had been doing research on it.

All in all, A485 is a good deal but for those who r getting 1, remember to factor in the first hard drive option of either sata or m2, for future ease of upgrading.

Another twist of the tale to add more drama...

I was quoted $347.97 (NVME Bracket only, without any drive, excluding GST ) by their authorized service partner ServLink Technology Resources Pte Ltd. Even if you take out the onsite labour cost (which is a ridiculously high $ 150.00 when even my IT noob gf can install on her own, excluding GST) the empty bracket is still quoted at $ 104.18 + $ 93.79 = $197.97 (excluding GST). As of 01 Feb 2019 at 2.20pm local time, a 256GB option + bracket is asking for SGD 180.

I officially sent in a complaint email and inside it, I sarcastically asked them if they were helping me build up to a wonderful CNY by furnishing the bracket with Swarovski crystals and that the cable is made with the highest grade of copper for the faster and more reliable connection and pending their reply.

Below is the mind-blowing quotation sent to me by their authorised partner

* STRICTLY NO CANCELLATION FOR CONFIRMED ORDERS = If anybody were to make payment for this absurd quotation, I will also say the same and maybe add in thank you for your patronage.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.