Forced from cable TV to fibre TV by Starhub

Shadowz1984

Reaction score
Need the advice from the bros here. Currently I am holding on to the Cable TV box which comes free with the cable broadband I subscribed few years back. I did not subscribed to any of their tv package, so they didn't charge me any cost for the tv box till now. However I change to fibre broadband 1 year plus back.

Right now with their termination of cable services in Jun, my question is currently I am watching the mediacorp channels through the cable tv box, will I still be able to do that after Jun?

Or is there a way for me to change the cable tv box to their fibre tv box without any cost/or minimum cost? I don't intend to subscribe to their tv package. Look forward to any kind advice. Thanks

Paul Lee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Right now with their termination of cable services in Jun, my question is currently I am watching the mediacorp channels through the cable tv box, will I still be able to do that after Jun?

Or is there a way for me to change the cable tv box to their fibre tv box without any cost/or minimum cost? I don't intend to subscribe to their tv package. Look forward to any kind advice. Thanks

No. Of cos won't be able to receive FTA (Free to Air) channels after cable TV cease.

If you only want to receive FTA channels, then all you need may be a cheap antenna (if your TV is relatively new and is Digital TV ready)

If its an older TV then you will need to get a set top box to watch FTA channels.

You can get one from the major electronic shops like BEST, Harvey Norman, Courts etc.

Or get a cheap one online. This is a good thread to refer to >> https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/house-displays-226/cheap-dvb-t2-stb-prc-5890904.html

There's no way around it.

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
yo, anyone had problem login to hub id?

my hub id is email format.
than it keep logout

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Need the advice from the bros here. Currently I am holding on to the Cable TV box which comes free with the cable broadband I subscribed few years back. I did not subscribed to any of their tv package, so they didn't charge me any cost for the tv box till now. However I change to fibre broadband 1 year plus back.

All Fibre TV are Pay TV. You pay to watch. No free fibre TV. Same as cable TV, you are paying. Now is just move from cable to fibre TV. Same price as cable TV.
It is yes, you can watch free to air if you switch from Cable TV to fibre TV with a TV channels package. To be sure please call 1633 to ask them.

Last edited:

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Once the cable network ceased the cable STB (Set top box) would be useless as unable to have signal to watch any channels.

Free usage of their STB on whether via Cable or Fibre would depend on their offer to you.
They could extend for another short term period even on Fibre as all these are based on their discretion.

Hence you can either contact them to find out more OR wait for letter when cable network about to cease if they provide what sort of package offer to you then.

Btw which dept (manager) offer this free STB to you at that time.
As each dept would able to provide on any extension of their service to individual customer.

Twiddlebug

Reaction score
Hi would like to check if anyone subscribed to Starhub TV go? My house does not have structured cabling done and was considering to use an old ipad to link up to TV.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi would like to check if anyone subscribed to Starhub TV go? My house does not have structured cabling done and was considering to use an old ipad to link up to TV.

Not sure what you mean by Starhub TV go and to use old ipad to link up to TV.

If you mean Starhub Go which only requirement is internet access.

For Starhub Go Streaming Box which is an Android TV (OEM) box and connection can be either wired or wireless with internet access.

Using iPad &or mobile phones to access Starhub Go is not an issue via wifi.

However Starhub Fibre TV STB (Set Top box) required wired connection to Fibre ONT Port-2 and cannot be mixed with internet access (via ONT Port-1).

And with Starhub TV subscription and Starhub Go (VAS) you can watch your subscribed channels (not all) on mobile devices or computer browser.

Twiddlebug

Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by Starhub TV go and to use old ipad to link up to TV.

If you mean Starhub Go which only requirement is internet access.

For Starhub Go Streaming Box which is an Android TV (OEM) box and connection can be either wired or wireless with internet access.

Using iPad &or mobile phones to access Starhub Go is not an issue via wifi.

However Starhub Fibre TV STB (Set Top box) required wired connection to Fibre ONT Port-2 and cannot be mixed with internet access (via ONT Port-1).

And with Starhub TV subscription and Starhub Go (VAS) you can watch your subscribed channels (not all) on mobile devices or computer browser.

I am looking at the Starhub GO app =:p

Thinking of keeping only 1 Fibre STB which is near my fibre termination point , then other TV just use the Starhub GO app and project ipad to tv to escape the cabling issues.

I guess need to check with Starhub on the channels I (or rather the kids) are interested in. Thanks!

darkarn

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just got my family to shift to fiber TV from cable TV too! Best part is don't need to do all the data point and trunking stuff

Some notes about the process:
0. I am writing this from customer viewpoint, please consult Starhub if still unsure

1. To avoid the trunking stuff, need to use EOCC. (see: http://www.starhub.com/personal/sup...arted/ethernet-over-coaxial-for-fibre-tv.html). Basically you are reusing the coaxial wiring for your fiber TV but the source of TV signal will be from your ONT instead of the SCV point. Check the link to see if you qualify for this first.

This should cost the same as doing the trunking; if you are supposed to get free data point (e.g. package deal), this should be changed to free set of EOCC adapters instead. YMMV though

2. Try to request this during the sign-up process. Show them the link above if they are unsure. If not, you will have to make a few calls to get them to reschedule appointments as different personnel are needed for different setup configuarations (e.g. data trunking people != those who can do EOCC) e.t.c. (I found out about this only after signing up, had to make a few calls e.t.c.)

3. Try to locate your SCV point (it should look like a brown/beige box labelled as "SCV" and/or there should be some coaxial cables connected to a coaxial splitter) in advance. This should be near your circuit breaker.

Reason being that for EOCC, Starhub needs to disconnect your SCV point from the SCV network serving your neighbourhood; last thing you want is your signal being spread to the neighbourhood after installing EOCC :s13:

Idea here is to cut down on the time needed on installation day; just tell onsite staff where it is and they should be able to do the rest.

They will during this time, ask you to turn on your cable TV while they remove the connection. If this is successful, you should not be seeing cable TV anymore and they would verify this onsite too

4. If you are unsure and/or your SCV point is in some kind of false ceiling somehow (which is in my case, had to use up additional day), let them know during sign-up too as they may need to arrange for two appointments. One for the "wire man" that can help locate and climb up to those false ceilings, another for the actual EOCC equipment. (If they can do all in one appointment, go for that obviously :D )

5. Prepare an additional power socket for the "master" part of the EOCC equipment near your ONT since it needs power from its power adapter. It may run hot so be sure to give it space to spread the heat out (i.e. don't put it in enclosed area)

6. For the "slave" part of the EOCC equipment, you do not need the power socket unless the onsite staff tell you to do so. Reason being is your new TV setup box will have USB ports at its back and that can be used to power the "slave" part of the EOCC equipment (they will have their own USB cables too)

7. Barring any issue, all of these should be done in about 1 hour, starting from replacing ONT (if needed), installing "master" part of EOCC beside the ONT, replacing TV setup box (if needed), to installing "slave" part of EOCC

This should be it I guess :)

Last edited:

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am looking at the Starhub GO app =:p

Thinking of keeping only 1 Fibre STB which is near my fibre termination point , then other TV just use the Starhub GO app and project ipad to tv to escape the cabling issues.

I guess need to check with Starhub on the channels I (or rather the kids) are interested in. Thanks!

You can login to Starhub Go either via mobile app or website with your Hub ID to see all the subscribed channels and to see those channels you want are available or not.

Since Starhub Go as VAS would be $2 /month for TV subscriber.

Most Starhub TV channels are available in Starhub Go channels.

ChromeCast is able to use for Starhub Go App to cast to TV.

Refer > What is Starhub Go - for more info

Twiddlebug

Reaction score
Just got my family to shift to fiber TV from cable TV too! Best part is don't need to do all the data point and trunking stuff

Some notes about the process:
0. I am writing this from customer viewpoint, please consult Starhub if still unsure

1. To avoid the trunking stuff, need to use EOCC. (see: http://www.starhub.com/personal/sup...arted/ethernet-over-coaxial-for-fibre-tv.html). Basically you are reusing the coaxial wiring for your fiber TV but the source of TV signal will be from your ONT instead of the SCV point. Check the link to see if you qualify for this first.

This should cost the same as doing the trunking; if you are supposed to get free data point (e.g. package deal), this should be changed to free set of EOCC adapters instead. YMMV though

2. Try to request this during the sign-up process. Show them the link above if they are unsure. If not, you will have to make a few calls to get them to reschedule appointments as different personnel are needed for different setup configuarations (e.g. data trunking people != those who can do EOCC) e.t.c. (I found out about this only after signing up, had to make a few calls e.t.c.)

3. Try to locate your SCV point (it should look like a brown/beige box labelled as "SCV" and/or there should be some coaxial cables connected to a coaxial splitter) in advance. This should be near your circuit breaker.

Reason being that for EOCC, Starhub needs to disconnect your SCV point from the SCV network serving your neighbourhood; last thing you want is your signal being spread to the neighbourhood after installing EOCC :s13:

Idea here is to cut down on the time needed on installation day; just tell onsite staff where it is and they should be able to do the rest.

They will during this time, ask you to turn on your cable TV while they remove the connection. If this is successful, you should not be seeing cable TV anymore and they would verify this onsite too

4. If you are unsure and/or your SCV point is in some kind of false ceiling somehow (which is in my case, had to use up additional day), let them know during sign-up too as they may need to arrange for two appointments. One for the "wire man" that can help locate and climb up to those false ceilings, another for the actual EOCC equipment. (If they can do all in one appointment, go for that obviously :D )

5. Prepare an additional power socket for the "master" part of the EOCC equipment near your ONT since it needs power from its power adapter. It may run hot so be sure to give it space to spread the heat out (i.e. don't put it in enclosed area)

6. For the "slave" part of the EOCC equipment, you do not need the power socket unless the onsite staff tell you to do so. Reason being is your new TV setup box will have USB ports at its back and that can be used to power the "slave" part of the EOCC equipment (they will have their own USB cables too)

7. Barring any issue, all of these should be done in about 1 hour, starting from replacing ONT (if needed), installing "master" part of EOCC beside the ONT, replacing TV setup box (if needed), to installing "slave" part of EOCC

This should be it I guess :)

Just curious how many STB you have at home? The link is saying its suitable for homes with 1 STB?

Shadowz1984

Reaction score
All Fibre TV are Pay TV. You pay to watch. No free fibre TV. Same as cable TV, you are paying. Now is just move from cable to fibre TV. Same price as cable TV.
It is yes, you can watch free to air if you switch from Cable TV to fibre TV with a TV channels package. To be sure please call 1633 to ask them.

I am not paying for the cable tv box actually. I signed up starhub cable broadband around 4 years ago and that time they were offering the cable tv box for free. They waived off the rental fee. I didn't subscribe to their tv package. They do have a few channels that you can watch for free. Since then, I didn't pay a single cent for the cable tv box even when I change my broadband to their fibre broadband.

Shadowz1984

Reaction score
Once the cable network ceased the cable STB (Set top box) would be useless as unable to have signal to watch any channels.

Free usage of their STB on whether via Cable or Fibre would depend on their offer to you.
They could extend for another short term period even on Fibre as all these are based on their discretion.

Hence you can either contact them to find out more OR wait for letter when cable network about to cease if they provide what sort of package offer to you then.

Btw which dept (manager) offer this free STB to you at that time.
As each dept would able to provide on any extension of their service to individual customer.

It was a bundle promotion by starhub back thrn about 4 to 5 years ago. Basically when you signed up for the cable broadband, they give you the cable tv box with the monthly rental fee waived. Not compulsory to subscribe to their tv package, so I just watch the free channels they have.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It was a bundle promotion by starhub back thrn about 4 to 5 years ago. Basically when you signed up for the cable broadband, they give you the cable tv box with the monthly rental fee waived. Not compulsory to subscribe to their tv package, so I just watch the free channels they have.

Well you can ask them or wait for the letter when cable network cease.

Both Singtel & Starhub do provide such services to fibre customers on free STB (Set top box) without any subscription & rental.

Currently my bro is given this free STB to watch local/free channels when he is subscribed to Singtel fibre broadband.

Recently read somewhere, someone was provided free Fibre STB without any subscription from Starhub, but not sure on the detail.

Not sure how they do the selection on customers for free STB and not sure for how long on usage/term.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am not paying for the cable tv box actually. I signed up starhub cable broadband around 4 years ago and that time they were offering the cable tv box for free. They waived off the rental fee. I didn't subscribe to their tv package. They do have a few channels that you can watch for free. Since then, I didn't pay a single cent for the cable tv box even when I change my broadband to their fibre broadband.
I see, i think that is their free Preview Channels with the box. I suggest you call 1633 to ask.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Probably similar to my StarHub, it is called StarHub TV Lite in my case, free as part of my conversion to Fibre broadband from previous Cable broadband back in 2014 or 2015. Digital voice was also connected to the big cable box but I had terminated the digital service last year when recontract. They still keep the StarHub TV Lite for me.

Not so sure if there will be any new things to replace the free channels. Anything is a bonus to me. Previously a tenant liked to watch 第一财经 and some other channels. But now none of the tenants is watching TV.

Last edited:

darkarn

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just curious how many STB you have at home? The link is saying its suitable for homes with 1 STB?

One STB currently. The staff say if want to expand to two or more, need to call them and see how

It seems possible to use one master with many slave EOCC units and therefore more than one STB but don't take my word for it. Already the EOCC units I was given look significantly different from the one from the website

Paul Lee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
One STB currently. The staff say if want to expand to two or more, need to call them and see how

It seems possible to use one master with many slave EOCC units and therefore more than one STB but don't take my word for it. Already the EOCC units I was given look significantly different from the one from the website

If you are only using one STB, why do you have to use EOCC? Is the FTP more than 2m from your TV?

Or do you mean your STB is located in one of the room and you use EOCC to bridge it over the cable TV network?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you are only using one STB, why do you have to use EOCC? Is the FTP more than 2m from your TV?

Or do you mean your STB is located in one of the room and you use EOCC to bridge it over the cable TV network?

http://www.starhub.com/personal/sup...arted/ethernet-over-coaxial-for-fibre-tv.html

The above shows a scenario that the STB is located in the room and not near to the FTP/ONT.

Is it also good for two STB cases? Seems not good enough. The FAQ says that "Lastly, this solution is suitable for homes with only 1 set-top box."

Paul Lee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The above shows a scenario that the STB is located in the room and not near to the FTP/ONT.

Is it also good for two STB cases? Seems not good enough. The FAQ says that "Lastly, this solution is suitable for homes with only 1 set-top box."

Yes. I know about that scenario. Just trying to confirm if that was the case for bro darkarn.

Frankly, I dun understand the restriction that Starhub imposed on their EOCC solution. eg 1 STB, HDB flat of certain age etc.

In theory, there should not be any restriction and even the older flat cable network should be good enough, and with more than 1 STB (at least from the little I read about EOCC, there do not seem to be any issues.)

So either Starhub not confident about implementing the EOCC solution or there are some other issues/limitations that we are not aware of.

But it is basically Starhub's loss. I'm sure there are people like me who will be prepared to accept the EOCC solutions for multiple STB without trunking. Since it's not an option, we will just terminate CableTV and give up on FibreTV.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.