View Single Post
Old 01-02-2019, 04:16 PM   #183
chowhong

There are many industrial standards and each country is entitled to choose from the one to go, just like 2G (GSM vs CDMA), 3G, and 4G in terms of mobile network.

If IMDA says MoCA standard is not adopted in Singapore, I myself will not buy MoCA adapters. Anyway, just my personal preferences.
Then prepare to pay more for your starhub TV and broadband for laying additional ONT if you have any as i have seen through the setup for 1 home that uses the new fibre TV, it is not as simple as you think.

At first i thought it to be simple, later on, i check the diagrams then i woke up from my sleep. It is not simple.

Example:

The older type of the houses 1990s and before, have their ONT near to the TV or their corridor which wont be an issue and those that have collected their keys (Tampines greenridge) - their entire house is networked up using Cat 6e data cable which wont be an issue.

Now the real thing, for those in between these 2 eras, their ONT is usually near to the power switch board with a network port which links to the living room network port.

If you had fibre broadband and fibre TV, here is the tricky part.

From the ONT, port 1 is for your fibre broadband and you will think that you can share right. Wrong, you cant share the network between fibre broadband and fibre TV. So they will ask you to plug it in to port 2 which they will configure solely for the TV.

Issue here is that you only have 1 data port that connects the living room to your box.

Solution: There are a couple of them that i find be able to work it out.
1) Converting your RJ11 ports to RJ45 ports (data networked)
2) Using a MoCA solution which converts your existing coaxial cable into ethernet line

For those who are unsure of how starhub's fibre TV and fibre bradband works in your home.
chowhong is offline   Reply With Quote