[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SyncGuy

Reaction score
Hehe.... I just SSH into my 918+ for some tweaking and rebuilt 10 x8TB Raid 5 in 0.5 days..

It went from estimated ~3777mins to ~400-ish minutes..

You all should really try it too..

phayze

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
U should quickly upgrade to RAID 6. 10 HDD with RAID 5 no joke. Any bit error during rebuilding will lose all your data.

Hehe.... I just SSH into my 918+ for some tweaking and rebuilt 10 x8TB Raid 5 in 0.5 days..

SyncGuy

Reaction score
U should quickly upgrade to RAID 6. 10 HDD with RAID 5 no joke. Any bit error during rebuilding will lose all your data.

Oh.. I was from Raid 6 and then I figured not to waste space coz I have unlimited backup in the cloud. But I understand and appreciate your concern, bro! Thanks!

Raid 5 for me is just in case 1 fails, still have small chance I don't need to redownload everything from my cloud backup; happened to me when I upgraded hardware.. took me like 2 weeks to redownload ~50Tb of data. LoL!

existential_reality

Reaction score
Thanks is it something like this where the guy pushed the write speed to 300 MB/s? I wonder if its possible to set it using the interface instead of having to SSH into the kernel. When I expand the volume again next time I'll give it a try. Anyway now that disk with the IO issues is reporting perfect :s13:

https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?t=121532

ghgan1

Reaction score
I remember the newer DSM update allow you to set the raid resync speed from the GUI under storage manager. Thus ssh is no longer necessary.

Thanks is it something like this where the guy pushed the write speed to 300 MB/s? I wonder if its possible to set it using the interface instead of having to SSH into the kernel. When I expand the volume again next time I'll give it a try. Anyway now that disk with the IO issues is reporting perfect :s13:

SyncGuy

Reaction score

Yes, but that isn't the full one..

The following link is the full one, which I only did Tip #1 - #3:

https://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-raid-increase-resync-rebuild-speed.html

SyncGuy

Reaction score
I remember the newer DSM update allow you to set the raid resync speed from the GUI under storage manager. Thus ssh is no longer necessary.

You are right on the GUI options but it only speed up a tiny bit more.. Whereas the SSH route is significantly more.. I'm serious! I was stunned..

tarui04

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I need 1 more hgst 8tb for my 1618+ but now hgst is no more... How then?

uplinkhack

Reaction score
Need a simple and reliable NAS, just for shared file storage at home. Don’t need any media functionality. Don’t want any access from internet. Needs to be on 24/7. Backup monthly to external HDD via USB3.0.

Planning to go for below, any comments?

DS218j
4TB IronWolf
4TB WD Red
RAID1

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
J series is entry level, go for DS218 for faster write speed.
As for HDD, get Toshiba 7200rpm will do.
Your requirement very similar to mine except I don't need 24x7.

fi5hbone

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah. If Synology just go for HGSTs or Toshibas.

Although I understand that HGST has been bought over?

cstanhwz

Master Member
Reaction score
HGST HDD like difficult to get locally now (since bought over by WD). Even if can get, the shop said only 1 year warranty is provided. In the end, went for WD Purple since I use for IPCam recording.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.