JC/ changing my subject combi- please help

90rankpoints

Reaction score
hi!

i'm a retainee in JC and im planning to change my subject combi.
i'm in a dilemma over whether to drop to h1 math OR h1 chem...my previous combi was BCME. (im dropping bio entirely and switching to lit)

kinda wanted to take h1 chem because there's no practical and fewer content, but h1 math seemed tempting since i like to do amath.

im planning to either take liberal arts (yale nus) or computer science in future. i have no interest in taking medicine, law or dentistry. which is more advisable for me to drop?

p.s i got A1 for both A/E math and A2 for chem for o levels.

FinalFrontier

Reaction score
hi!

i'm a retainee in JC and im planning to change my subject combi.
i'm in a dilemma over whether to drop to h1 math OR h1 chem...my previous combi was BCME. (im dropping bio entirely and switching to lit)

kinda wanted to take h1 chem because there's no practical and fewer content, but h1 math seemed tempting since i like to do amath.

im planning to either take liberal arts (yale nus) or computer science in future. i have no interest in taking medicine, law or dentistry. which is more advisable for me to drop?

p.s i got A1 for both A/E math and A2 for chem for o levels.

If you got A1 in E and A Maths, then you should be ok in Maths. Then A levLel Maths shouldn't be too difficult. Chem is the easiest of the 3 science subjects, I'd suggest Chem over Maths only if you scored A1 in Chem at O levels since you aren't interested in Medicine and Dentistry.

really_noob

Master Member
Reaction score
Take H2 Maths. H1 Chem is fine.
My argument is if you don't have H2 Maths, you can't take a lot of engineering/science courses in uni. You can only take humanities/social sciences/law etc - which people with H2 Maths also can take.

2bladeftw

Take H2 Maths. H1 Chem is fine.
My argument is if you don't have H2 Maths, you can't take a lot of engineering/science courses in uni. You can only take humanities/social sciences/law etc - which people with H2 Maths also can take.

But isn't there bridging math modules in uni?

Also, many of those poly background ppl who ended up in engineering courses in uni don't have h2 math background.

really_noob

Master Member
Reaction score
But isn't there bridging math modules in uni?

Also, many of those poly background ppl who ended up in engineering courses in uni don't have h2 math background.

Even with bridging courses, can you catch up with the people who took H2 Maths, trained in all those topics and formulas for 2 years? All in a span of 3 months?
Bridging course will put you at the same level as the H2 students in terms of theoretical knowledge but no matter how they will be more experienced in applying those knowledge.

To begin with, you must be able to make it past the selection process to get into engineering courses with only H1 Maths. Not having H2 Maths when applying to an engineering course might already put you at an unfavourable position in the competition for places.

I've not heard of my FASS friends who did Sciences at A levels having to convince NUS FASS to take them in because they didn't have H2 History or whatever humanities.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.