AFTERSHOCK PC - Now featuring Nvidia 10 series graphics cards!

lifeishard

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Go check out Lenovo y740...if you customise to 2070 max q...it is cheaper than aftershock slate 15 with Max q by a little bit.

Just placed my order and it has shopback 7% discount. Will monitor if shopback really gives me that much of a cashback...

cara.1988

Reaction score
Go check out Lenovo y740...if you customise to 2070 max q...it is cheaper than aftershock slate 15 with Max q by a little bit.

Just placed my order and it has shopback 7% discount. Will monitor if shopback really gives me that much of a cashback...

yes, aftershock this year dissapointingly expensive. Even razer blade 15 not much more ex for say 2070 vs 2070

chiaRH

Reaction score
The new 'more powerful' fans are kinda cool tho. Will have to wait for real user reviews before we can see if its simply a hot mess like the Prime 15 was.

i think clevo's problem on the past is more on the heatsink/venting but any progress is still good

im personally definitely not 100% upgrading anytime soon because while GPU is now turing, the CPU is still stuck on coffee lake and that 8750H is one hot processor which I doubt anything slimmer than a Asus G700 series or MSI GT can ever adequately cool.

Reaction score
The new 'more powerful' fans are kinda cool tho. Will have to wait for real user reviews before we can see if its simply a hot mess like the Prime 15 was.

I'm hoping for the same reviews as you do. That being said, the only justification for such new fans are:
- To cope with the new thermal specs of the RTX Mobility GPUs that utilizes variable TGP instead of the fixed TGP used in Pascal Mobility GPUs and earlier, meaning the power draw of the GPUs built inside depends on how much power the game played needs from the GPU itself, hence the base TGP of 80w for RTX2060-2080 with the upper TGP limit differentiating the three.
- To increase the airflow of the chassis for more efficient cooling, given the P96 chassis's narrow vapour chamber (which makes the entire notebook 19.9mm thin in the first place), again demanded by the more powerful RTX GPUs built inside, while keeping the noise to barely-audible levels (a Nvidia requirement for ALL notebooks that includes a Max-Q Spec GPU as the main graphics driver), as such the only things that can mitigate the higher TGP requirements are the fans and heatsink, as well as the materials of the chassis used.

In addition, the reveal of the SLATE (P960ED)'s internals on Aftershock's FB page only confirms the PRIME-esqueness of its design, right down to the placement of the three upgraded "Crystal Moulded Fans" in a 2+1 (single twin fans + single solo fan) formation, twin fans cooling the RTX GPU with the solo fan cooling the Coffee Lake-H CPU. In actuality, SLATE is basically a reworked PRIME with RTX and upgraded to cope with the new demands of the RTX GPUs, with a bigger battery to boot, in fact both "siblings" of the RTX Notebook Chassis, the P96 (SLATE) and the yet-to-be-released here PB5 (a likely S-Series successor) both have been reworked upgrades of their predecessors.

And speaking of the unreleased PB5 Chassis, German Clevo Builder XMG Schenker have "leaked" the possible interesting specs (in bold) of this P65 Successor (they sell that as the XMG Pro 15 2019 model) on their site too, for those who prefer the more functionally-flexible P65-based S-Series chassis.
- 15.6" Slim Bezel 144Hz FHD Display with G-Sync
- 2x m.2 2280 SSD via PCIe x4 interface with RAID 0/1 support
- 1x 7mm HDD/SSD bay
- GPU Options: RTX2060 6GB (PB50ED-G) or RTX2070 8GB (PB50EF-G) Notebook GPU
- Precision Glass Touchpad with Fingerprint Reader (same as the P96/SLATE 15)
- Per-key RGB Lighting Keyboard (same as the P96/SLATE 15)
- 2x USB3.0 Type-A (1x powered port), 1x USB3.1 Gen 2 Type-A, 1x USB3.1 Gen 2 Type-C, 1x USB3.1 Gen 2 Type-C with Thunderbolt 3, both Type-C ports are mDP-capable
- 1x HDMI 2.0 and 1x MiniDP 1.4
- 1x Combi Audio Port (which can plug in Smartphone-use headsets) and 1x 2-in-1 Audio Port, on the left side of the chassis.
- Dimensions: 359 x 257.8 x 29.9 mm, Barebone Weight: 2.5 kg with battery pack (slightly thicker than P650HS-G sold here as S-15 with GTX1070 Notebook GPU)
- Battery: 66WHr removable Li-Ion battery (via screw-accessible Service Lid)
- Power Adaptor: 180w for PB50ED-G (RTX2060), 230w for PB50EF-G (RTX2070)

In summary, the TRULY rebuilt from the ground up PB5 Series takes what's already successful with the P65 and revamps it with new hardware to cope with the RTX Notebook GPUs, and given the larger vapour chamber it possesses, up to a FULL Notebook RTX2070 can be installed inside. One interesting thing to note about this PB5 chassis is the re-arrangement of literally all of their I/O ports due to the inclusion of the quad air vents (compared to the dual air vents on the P65 chassis) which sees airflow coming out of the rear and side vents on both sides, as opposed to the left side and right rear-end for the P65. This new chassis is design-wise a smaller but thicker re-design of the P65 Chassis made possible by the 15.6" slim bezel display, with a number of I/O ports shifted to the rear of the notebook, resulting in no more than 3 I/O ports on each side of the notebook with the rest re-located to the rear of the chassis. According to XMG Schenker, units based on this chassis should be made available in March 2019 for actual order and assembly. So we may expect a release here around the time IT Show 2019 (7-10 March) comes up, should Aftershock decides to bring this chassis over here.

Last edited:

MGeaR356

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys thinking of buying the slate 15 with 2060 rtx.. Can check if the screen is matte or glossy? Cannot stand my Lenovo e585 matte screen ips and decided to sell and buy a gaming laptop.

From what I read in last few pages that slate 15 not so good? But then the current cny promo with 16gb 2060 rtx is priced around 23xx...a bit hard to find such price..

lifeishard

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys thinking of buying the slate 15 with 2060 rtx.. Can check if the screen is matte or glossy? Cannot stand my Lenovo e585 matte screen ips and decided to sell and buy a gaming laptop.

From what I read in last few pages that slate 15 not so good? But then the current cny promo with 16gb 2060 rtx is priced around 23xx...a bit hard to find such price..

it is already very hard to find a glossy screen gaming laptop.

sKeLeToN

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I’m also considering either the Slate 17 or MSI’s GS75, which I’m thinking the latter should be much more ex...any comments on which you think should be more value for $ (on paper atm)?

chiaRH

Reaction score
I’m also considering either the Slate 17 or MSI’s GS75, which I’m thinking the latter should be much more ex...any comments on which you think should be more value for $ (on paper atm)?

Aftershock lets you pick the customisation and calculate the subtotal

You can config a spec identical in CPU and GPU to the MSI model and see how the price differs

One thing for sure, thin and light laptops like MSI GS or Gigabyte Areo are never priced for value, they have a huge premium in price for that slim form factor alone. Even though the market now has so many slim models it looks like there's not really any price competition going on.

LionPlushie

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I ordered a bigger battery from hongkong for Apex 15 laptop on 4th Jan.

gk5cn-00-13-4s1p-0 15.2V, 4 cell laptop battery arrived today. Shipping was quick.

https://i.imgur.com/g6PdMX6.png[img]

[B]Specs[/B]

3 Cells vs 4 Cells
[I]Voltage[/I]: 11.4 vs 15.2
[I]mAH[/I]: 4100 vs 4100
[I]Wh[/I] 46.74 vs 62.32
+33% more power.
cost: Not worth it.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/QuQ9enB.png[img]

Compared to the original battery (3 Cells), 4th cell takes over the 2.5" Slot in the Apex 15. Since I am not using the 2.5" slot, I can fill it up with the bigger battery.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/4IM6XzL.png[img]

When placing the new battery, I had to fold and hid the SATA cable under the 2nd m.2 SSD slot.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/JpSWSKa.png[img]

Finally, laptop feels complete with 2* m.2 SSDs and the big battery.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/5L1RUFG.png[img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/0BPbDGD.png[img]

Charging and Switching on works. Going to test full cycle and report back how long it can last surfing web and gaming.

3 Cell batt - Gaming, 45 mins (100% to 10%). Surfing net, 2:45.
4 Cell batt - Gaming, 75 mins (100% to 10%). Surfing net, 3:50.[/QUOTE]

Does this void warranty?

Feel like hooting the APEX 15 and hoot this as well.

You mentioned the cost isn't worth? But I see the gaming bumped up from 45 minutes to 75 minutes feels quite worth tho.

LionPlushie

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
they had a FB post earlier i think, give it some time for the site to update with all the product models

UPDATE: seems theyre up now, we officially have the clevo p96 machines in aftershock those are the slim max q ones, still waiting to see whether aftershock will bring in the PB series that have the non maxq 2070 to replace the s17R.

Also the tongfang machines (apex) have yet to transition to RTX

Was poking around Aftershock website and saw that APEX-15 does have the options for 2060 and 2070 MaxQ now.

Wonder if which is more worth? I think 1060 -> 2060 is a no brainer since it is only 100+ more expensive with a quite impressive improvement from what I read from those review when they compare 1060 vs 2060. But the 2070 MaxQ need to see if they did anything to the clockspeed not, AFAIK those Prime-15 MaxQ is a bit slower when compared to the rest of the MaxQ out there? At least in the past.

chiaRH

Reaction score
if comparing current gen GPU with their pascal equivalent, 2060 definitely has the most improvement (about 40% I heard) over its predecessor, supposedly way more than how much improvement the 2080 and 2070 achieved and should be able to achieve 1080p 60 fps even when running at high settings. The older 1060 might only be able to hit that target on medium settings or on games that are very well optimised.

Psycovirus

Reaction score
Does this void warranty?

Feel like hooting the APEX 15 and hoot this as well.

You mentioned the cost isn't worth? But I see the gaming bumped up from 45 minutes to 75 minutes feels quite worth tho.

Ya, for $120~, I don't feel like its an upgrade. The gaming time increased but the gaming performance is **** on either battery. I was playing Yakuza 0, not a very intensive game. While plugged in, I get 70-90 FPS. When unplugged, it was 40s to 50s fps...

Not exactly the kind of gaming experience I want. I rather find a power point and plug into it.

narkizy

Reaction score
Ya, for $120~, I don't feel like its an upgrade. The gaming time increased but the gaming performance is **** on either battery. I was playing Yakuza 0, not a very intensive game. While plugged in, I get 70-90 FPS. When unplugged, it was 40s to 50s fps...

Not exactly the kind of gaming experience I want. I rather find a power point and plug into it.

Did you force the laptop to use the Dedicated GPU for gaming while unplugged? By default windows will use the iGPU to run games/intensive tasks while unplugged to save power, so that would explain lower fps.

Perhaps you could force the dgpu to be used while unplugged and see the battery life for more accurate results

LionPlushie

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Wa. Like that I think I better ask if Aftershock warranty is still valid after the battery change. If not I will just leave it plugged in when gaming.

Better still ask if they can change for me for me to "keep" the warranty.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Laptop screens are generally matt, at least this is what I noticed nowadays. I believe laptops are mobile, and a glossy screen is certainly not that great when bringing it outdoors due to reflection.

MGeaR356

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Laptop screens are generally matt, at least this is what I noticed nowadays. I believe laptops are mobile, and a glossy screen is certainly not that great when bringing it outdoors due to reflection.

Hmm think I will wait for Lenovo y540 to be release then buy.. 2060gtx sounds good.. Y740 too expensive

Psycovirus

Reaction score
Did you force the laptop to use the Dedicated GPU for gaming while unplugged? By default windows will use the iGPU to run games/intensive tasks while unplugged to save power, so that would explain lower fps.

Perhaps you could force the dgpu to be used while unplugged and see the battery life for more accurate results

I am sure it is running on my GTX 1060. The problem is that the max battery power draw is very low compared to when plugged into a 150W brick. The CPU/GPU is power limited and only runs at 2.2Ghz cpu/1000~ MHz core instead of usual 3.9Ghz cpu/1680 MHz core on the plug and that causes the drop in performance.

mudxblood

Master Member
Reaction score
Can anyone advise the difference between the Apex 15 and Slate 15? Which is better in terms of cooling? I play Dota and BF V

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am sure it is running on my GTX 1060. The problem is that the max battery power draw is very low compared to when plugged into a 150W brick. The CPU/GPU is power limited and only runs at 2.2Ghz cpu/1000~ MHz core instead of usual 3.9Ghz cpu/1680 MHz core on the plug and that causes the drop in performance.

Isn't it normal for laptops to throttle when running on battery? I believe even those ultra low power laptops throttle when running on battery for the sake of preserving battery life. While you can try to force it to run at full speed by selecting maximum performance, I suspect the logic is baked into the BIOS, so I am not sure if that will be effective. If the battery have to discharge at 150W, it will also likely overheat.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.