Chasing the Northern Lights - Iceland

D-aN_09

Reaction score
Just got back from Iceland. Weather is terribad, almost raining everyday, couldn’t get to see the Northern Lights, the Ice Cave was also closed. At least we got to glacier hike...

ctstalin

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Was the accident preventable?

Maybe I should be more specific on the route I am taking for better advise on which insurance to take. I am goin for 6 days, touring around golden circle, fludir, then klaustur in end March. Looking at a 4x4 kia sportage currently

Yes it was preventable. It was my fault :(

But you never know :o

Posted from PCWX using ONEPLUS A5000

winningeleven

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, can anyone advise on the car insurance? Which to buy?

For blue car rental, there is the 1) ash and sand coverage 2) full coverage which covers the deductible fully. The 2nd one is very expensive though

The 2nd more expensive option is not available when I was there in 2016 and 2017. Even it have. I don't think I would buy. For SAA insurance. I bought it for my 2017 trip. I guess that is not really required unless there is some strong volcanic eruption which no one knows.

RyanJ

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

For blue car rental, there is the 1) ash and sand coverage 2) full coverage which covers the deductible fully. The 2nd one is very expensive though

If you have a premium credit card and/or travel insurance check for coverage as well.

If u r intending to drive to places like Landmannalaugar pls get all the fullest possible coverage. Even then I am sure it does not cover fording rivers. Offhand the ring road around Iceland is quite ok except Westfjords - seriously bad roads. That was from a visit a handful of years ago .

( But in the context of winter / northern light chasing , these areas are out of bounds anyway )

Last edited:

djr81

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just came back.. i brought all the insurance they have to have 0 excess.

The weather there is damn interesting, is very different in all the other countries i drove. It can just rain, sun, cloudy, snow, clear sky, rain, strong wind and it just repeat randomly :s22:

Morning drive to Jökulsárlón, next moment the road close cant drive back to vik.. close due to very strong wind... wind jin strong 1st time ever feel such strong wind like can blow me off..

Driving also very interesting, suddenly foggy and then strong wind blowing all the sands in 1 direction and etc.

So if dun wan headache just spend abit more on insurance coverage

:s22:

saffronsatire

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Most people spend two nights in Mývatn? Deciding if I should spend two nights in Mývatn or one more night in Reykjavík.

What about South Coast and Westman Islands? Two nights too?

Planning stage and things are still very vague. If this trip goes ahead, I will land in the morning of Day 1, drive out of Reykjavík on Day 2 and drive back to Reykjavík on Day 9. Flying out only on Day 10 afternoon.

I'm probably going late may to early june. Not really a northern lights trip.

Last edited:

winningeleven

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Most people spend two nights in Mývatn? Deciding if I should spend two nights in Mývatn or one more night in Reykjavík.

What about South Coast and Westman Islands? Two nights too?

Planning stage and things are still very vague. If this trip goes ahead, I will land in the morning of Day 1, drive out of Reykjavík on Day 2 and drive back to Reykjavík on Day 9. Flying out only on Day 10 afternoon.

I'm probably going late may to early june. Not really a northern lights trip.

End May/ early june and u have a long daylight hours. 10 days to travel whole ring road is doable. I did it in less than 8 days

Just make use of your arrival day to explore Reykjavik.

Day 1 -Reykjavik
Day 2 -South west
Day 3 -South west-South
Day 4 -South
Day 5 -South east
Day 6 -east
Day 7- north east
Day 8- north west
Day 9 - Drive back to South west
Day 10 - Reykjavik

Just a rough guide . Should able to cover most of the attractions in iceland.

I like waterfalls, Hengifoss, Hraunfossar and haifoss are a MUST see.

Luffyace

Reaction score
Hi, it's possible to book everything through tour to cover all the attraction and plane crashed location and how much is the price difference compare to car rental? Do I have to book tour for The glacier hike?

djr81

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You will save more on car rental...
But if u dun like to drive and plan then go by tour lor...

By renting car u just pay for the
- car rental
- petrol
- parking fee

With car rental is easy to move around base on your own timing. Iceland weather is unpredictable so if this attraction you going weather not good you can go to the other 1.

Most of the attraction is free and public can access. So no point paying more to the tour company and some of the attraction will take half day to full day just for 1 attraction. If you drive you can go more locations in 1 day.

Quite easy to drive in iceland not many cars.

Hi, it's possible to book everything through tour to cover all the attraction and plane crashed location and how much is the price difference compare to car rental? Do I have to book tour for The glacier hike?

Luffyace

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the replies and the informations. For the glacier hike is it possible to access and do it without the tour?
I saw the online tour pricing was 561 sgd 😅

You will save more on car rental...
But if u dun like to drive and plan then go by tour lor...

By renting car u just pay for the
- car rental
- petrol
- parking fee

With car rental is easy to move around base on your own timing. Iceland weather is unpredictable so if this attraction you going weather not good you can go to the other 1.

Most of the attraction is free and public can access. So no point paying more to the tour company and some of the attraction will take half day to full day just for 1 attraction. If you drive you can go more locations in 1 day.

Quite easy to drive in iceland not many cars.

djr81

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That 1 better do with tour.. at least they got a guide to move u around.. but if u just want to take photo and not the hike .. you can go by yourself...

Thanks a lot for the replies and the informations. For the glacier hike is it possible to access and do it without the tour?
I saw the online tour pricing was 561 sgd 😅

winningeleven

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Plane crash location need to hike/walk 4km one way from the nearest car park. Dont think there is a tour group has the privilege to drive there.

Unless u cant drive. No need to engage tour group to visit majority of attractions.

for Glaciers hike , probably u need guides to bring u . Dont mess with nature by yourself.

I been iceland and yet i didnt think of doing the above 2.

if u really want to save $$$. u can go to Svinafellsjokul. U cant walk on glaciers but is one of the nearest u can walk along side and view.

djr81

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There is 1 tour group use ATV and fatbike..

I think is better then walking.. i give up on the plane trip cuz travelling with kids..

Plane crash location need to hike/walk 4km one way from the nearest car park. Dont think there is a tour group has the privilege to drive there.

Unless u cant drive. No need to engage tour group to visit majority of attractions.

for Glaciers hike , probably u need guides to bring u . Dont mess with nature by yourself.

I been iceland and yet i didnt think of doing the above 2.

if u really want to save $$$. u can go to Svinafellsjokul. U cant walk on glaciers but is one of the nearest u can walk along side and view.

winningeleven

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There is 1 tour group use ATV and fatbike..

I think is better then walking.. i give up on the plane trip cuz travelling with kids..

To some , is a must go. but for me, i wont waste my time , especially the long walking part to get there. Yes it along the way to vik and I prefer Dyrhólaey

Same as blue lagoon. is not a MUST for me.

djr81

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To some , is a must go. but for me, i wont waste my time , especially the long walking part to get there. Yes it along the way to vik and I prefer Dyrhólaey

Same as blue lagoon. is not a MUST for me.

Same..due to the long walk...give up...

but blue lagoon is buey pai lah..lucky my kids love it...

saffronsatire

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
End May/ early june and u have a long daylight hours. 10 days to travel whole ring road is doable. I did it in less than 8 days

Just make use of your arrival day to explore Reykjavik.

Day 1 -Reykjavik
Day 2 -South west
Day 3 -South west-South
Day 4 -South
Day 5 -South east
Day 6 -east
Day 7- north east
Day 8- north west
Day 9 - Drive back to South west
Day 10 - Reykjavik

Just a rough guide . Should able to cover most of the attractions in iceland.

I like waterfalls, Hengifoss, Hraunfossar and haifoss are a MUST see.

haha i'm still considering to stay a night in Akureyri or 2 nights in Mývatn.

1) did you guys go till the west fjords and Snæfellsjökull National Park?

currently (very vague) plan is to drive from reykjavik to Borgarnes then Skagafjörður. staying at Siglufjordur.

2) would i have time to stop by Snæfellsjökull?

3) should i drop the westman islands? and move my plans down and stay around Snæfellsjökull for D2?

D1 - Land @ 0835, collect car - blue lagoon & reyjkavik
D2 (hotel: Siglufjordur)
• Begin the Ring Road drive by heading for Borgarnes
• Skagafjörður
D3 (hotel: Akureyri or Mývatn??)
• Drive the Tröllaskagi Peninsula
• Stop in Siglufjörður and Akureyri
• Spend the evening heading to the Mývatn lake area
D4 (hotel: Mývatn)
• Mývatn area
• Húsavík port town
D5 (hotel: Seyðisfjörður)
• To the Eastfjords
• Dettifoss falls
D6 (hotel: Höfn)
• Along the Eastfjords to the southeast
• Vatnajökull National Park
D7 (hotel: near Vik)
• South Coast sights
D8 (hotel: near Vik)
• Westman Islands day trip
D9 (hotel: Reykjavík)
• Golden Circle highlights en route to Reykjavík
• Thingvellir National Park
• Geysir
• Gullfoss waterfall
D10 - depart @1750

anywhere i don't need so much time that i should amend my itinerary? thanks.

Last edited:

ctstalin

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
haha i'm still considering to stay a night in Akureyri or 2 nights in Mývatn.

1) did you guys go till the west fjords and Snæfellsjökull National Park?

currently (very vague) plan is to drive from reykjavik to Borgarnes then Skagafjörður. staying at Siglufjordur.

2) would i have time to stop by Snæfellsjökull?

3) should i drop the westman islands? and move my plans down and stay around Snæfellsjökull for D2?

D1 - Land @ 0835, collect car - blue lagoon & reyjkavik
D2 (hotel: Siglufjordur)
• Begin the Ring Road drive by heading for Borgarnes
• Skagafjörður
D3 (hotel: Akureyri or Mývatn??)
• Drive the Tröllaskagi Peninsula
• Stop in Siglufjörður and Akureyri
• Spend the evening heading to the Mývatn lake area
D4 (hotel: Mývatn)
• Mývatn area
• Húsavík port town
D5 (hotel: Seyðisfjörður)
• To the Eastfjords
• Dettifoss falls
D6 (hotel: Höfn)
• Along the Eastfjords to the southeast
• Vatnajökull National Park
D7 (hotel: near Vik)
• South Coast sights
D8 (hotel: near Vik)
• Westman Islands day trip
D9 (hotel: Reykjavík)
• Golden Circle highlights en route to Reykjavík
• Thingvellir National Park
• Geysir
• Gullfoss waterfall
D10 - depart @1750

anywhere i don't need so much time that i should amend my itinerary? thanks.

skip blue lagoon and go myvatn nature bath :o

winorlose

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My friends told me last week was the strongest northern lights.. was anyone there?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.