The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

peaceheart

Banned
Reaction score
There are many brands in the market for now, listing just a few(that i am more familiar with) over here.

Brands e.g.

Essilor crizal Transitions-2++
Hoya HVLL Sensity 2++
Zeiss Duravision Photofusion 28+
Shamir Transitions-2++

For these brands, there are also Sub/Sister brands, e.g. Hoya has Pentax/Stellify, Zeiss has AO. Thus there are more ''budget'' kind of transition lenses too around the market.

Prices are based on ball park figure of RRP and 1.50 Index.
AO is still around? Cos my regular shop no longer carry it, thot this brand close shop

nicng2204

Reaction score
There are many brands in the market for now, listing just a few(that i am more familiar with) over here.

Brands e.g.

Essilor crizal Transitions-2++
Hoya HVLL Sensity 2++
Zeiss Duravision Photofusion 28+
Shamir Transitions-2++

For these brands, there are also Sub/Sister brands, e.g. Hoya has Pentax/Stellify, Zeiss has AO. Thus there are more ''budget'' kind of transition lenses too around the market.

Prices are based on ball park figure of RRP and 1.50 Index.

Thanks! What do you think of Crizal Transitions? Are they worth the money?

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score
what's the difference between:
1. crizral sapphire uv
2. crizal drive

confused

crizal sapphire uv is essilor newest coating
seen a couple and it looks nice.

crizal drive is a coating more suited for people who drive as the coating is aimed to block out glare from streetlights and headlights (but very subjective)

in short. they are 2 different coatings :)

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score
AO is still around? Cos my regular shop no longer carry it, thot this brand close shop

I'm not too sure if they still carry it but i rarely hear people asking about it as well. most likely being replaced already...

crizal brand or not, transitions double up as a sunglass albeit not very dark.
it gives extra protection from uv and provides comfort under the sun.
what is worth to me might not be what is worth to others :D

ToshibaPortege

Reaction score
Good Afternoon and Happy New Year,

Have you tried emailing the oakley suppliers/website regarding the availabilty?
Also do you have a picture of the nose area to let us see how it looks like??

Thanks GANGSTERKIA and Happy New Year.

What about -75x15 & -75x170?

I'm thinking of going back to the same shop, they now have promo package using kodak lens.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks GANGSTERKIA and Happy New Year.

What about -75x15 & -75x170?

I'm thinking of going back to the same shop, they now have promo package using kodak lens.

E.g.
-1.00/-0.75X15

1st)-1.00/ 2nd) -0.75 3rd x15

1st)(myopia/Hyperopia) 2nd)astigmatism(shan guang)
3rd) Astigmatism Angle

Sounds good! If there is a promo package and you are comfortable with them, just support them if possible!

nicng2204

Reaction score
I'm not too sure if they still carry it but i rarely hear people asking about it as well. most likely being replaced already...

crizal brand or not, transitions double up as a sunglass albeit not very dark.
it gives extra protection from uv and provides comfort under the sun.
what is worth to me might not be what is worth to others :D

Yeah I think transitions are worth the money. I'm wondering if Crizal is worth the money compared to like generic brandless transition lenses. Are Crizal lenses really more scratchproof?

hereiam7788

Master Member
Reaction score

Photochromic lens are worth it especially in country like lion city.

since it has almost all-day sunlight outdoor, change in darkness of lens really help to reduce glares.

It makes a convenience of not having two pairs of eyeglasses.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think transitions are worth the money. I'm wondering if Crizal is worth the money compared to like generic brandless transition lenses. Are Crizal lenses really more scratchproof?

My recommendation is to wait til their Crizal Sapphire UV coating official launch. The new coating is more scratch resistance. There will never be scratch proof lenses even for glass lenses unfortunately..

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score

Depending on the usage of the Transition lenses. If you use it like 1-2 hours outdoors and the rest indoor in a day then probably not worth.

Transition lenses are temperature sensitve and UV sensitive(we know this point already), thus if you go to countries which are colder, they actually turn even darker than what you see in Singapore. Downside is when you take photo, cannot see your eyes.

However if you want your lenses to turn dark while in the car, then you can look towards the ExtraActive series for the transition. Those do turn dark when you are in the car. Or my favourite go-to sunglass is the fitover. Best for the purpose but only aesthetically unappealing to majority.

Transition lenses does not give you extra UV-protection as your basic lenses already has that(normal multi-coating), it is more to give you more comfort and relief from the glare of the sun.(do correct me if i am wrong but i believe this is the case)

Hope this helps!

KingOfSbw

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi all, i got a quote of about S$250 for a high index 1.6 Crizal Transitions.
Is the price ok ma?
Or i can get even cheaper prices?

Edit: got another quote from a neighbourhood optical shop...$3xx
Told me the rrp is $410..really must do some research le

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT

Last edited:

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi all, i got a quote of about S$250 for a high index 1.6 Crizal Transitions.
Is the price ok ma?
Or i can get even cheaper prices?

Edit: got another quote from a neighbourhood optical shop...$3xx
Told me the rrp is $410..really must do some research le

Hi,

Basic stock lens for transition are grey and graphite green. It cost 260 for basic 1.5 index lens(RRP)

250 for 1.6 transition is not a bad price. RRP is 310(pricelist).

3++(probably not discounted yet as maybe they afraid customer just want to check price and compare so never give you the full discounted price)

410 is when you are either(power out of the normal range e.g. astig more than 200) OR else the colour you want are the more premium colours e.g. brown, sapphire(blue),amethst(pinkish), amber(brown/yellow) or emerald(more green).

Hope this helps!

KingOfSbw

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Basic stock lens for transition are grey and graphite green. It cost 260 for basic 1.5 index lens(RRP)

250 for 1.6 transition is not a bad price. RRP is 310(pricelist).

3++(probably not discounted yet as maybe they afraid customer just want to check price and compare so never give you the full discounted price)

410 is when you are either(power out of the normal range e.g. astig more than 200) OR else the colour you want are the more premium colours e.g. brown, sapphire(blue),amethst(pinkish), amber(brown/yellow) or emerald(more green).

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the information!

nicng2204

Reaction score
My recommendation is to wait til their Crizal Sapphire UV coating official launch. The new coating is more scratch resistance. There will never be scratch proof lenses even for glass lenses unfortunately..

Thank you for your advice. I was quoted a price of $180 for "generic brandless transition lenses" and crizal and zeiss transitions for their RRP. Was in a dilemma whether to get the brandless ones.

I ended up getting the 1.6 Crizal transitions for $310, but they had a $50 discount off next purchase if I spent >$300 which I used to offset the frame price, so effectively I got the lenses for $260.

I read that transitions last about 2 years. Does that mean after that they lose their photochromic properties and become regular clear lenses?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your advice. I was quoted a price of $180 for "generic brandless transition lenses" and crizal and zeiss transitions for their RRP. Was in a dilemma whether to get the brandless ones.

I ended up getting the 1.6 Crizal transitions for $310, but they had a $50 discount off next purchase if I spent >$300 which I used to offset the frame price, so effectively I got the lenses for $260.

I read that transitions last about 2 years. Does that mean after that they lose their photochromic properties and become regular clear lenses?

Nope, dont worry.

It just means that it will not turn as dark after 2 years and also the lens will look slighter yellower when you look through it. Just slightly, most wouldnt notice it unless you are more sensitive to vision.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.