AMD Ryzen NB Discussion| Lenovo Thinkpad E495/E595/T495/X395 Well-rounder performance CPU + GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, considering this for light office use - mainly school work. Is this laptop’s (E585) wifi card that bad?

Any guides to replacing it?

TIA :)

Its not that bad to be honest, but really depends on your expectations. I have been using it for more than a week now and I have no issues with the WIFI performance.

saddams wife

Reaction score
Hi, considering this for light office use - mainly school work. Is this laptop’s (E585) wifi card that bad?

Any guides to replacing it?

TIA :)

Dear Bro. Please refer to the following youtube for T480. The back cover design is quite similar (only difference is two hinge design for T480 vs one hinge design for E585 but it doesnt make a difference in terms of taking it off ). The video also shows how to disconnect your wifi card + 2x antennae.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHBuyu_Dy3k&t=0s&list=PLh-0uGGKu6gsJn3YZu5dZUKnFHplFzrQL&index=13

I agree with forummer watzup_ken that the stock wifi card is quite ok. For me, i chose to replace it because i like to sit in a windy part of my house that happens to be a dead spot and also wrong placement choice for my router which i dont intend to correct anytime soon.

Last edited:

Slowdown

Master Member
Reaction score
I am running CPU-Z and under Graphics tab inside the Memory section it says my memory size is only 256mb. Is that correct? I am having E585 with Ryzen 7 with Vega 10 graphic.

I am unable to play Gear of War 4 and I am getting error GW410. It says my memory is only 0.2gb and cannot play the game.

Last edited:

altzer

Reaction score
Yeah, I get that too. But I doubt switching to USD make a difference. Credit card companies typically don't offer a favorable FX rate.

Generally, it's better to pay in USD and take the credit card foreign currency transaction fee + VISA/Master fee (total about ~3+1%) than to pay in SGD with dynamic currency conversion (check their conversion rate against google or whatever). Especially true if you're using miles cards that give you bonuses for foreign currency transactions.

If you're using debit cards or credit cards that give cashback <3-4%, you might want to consider using something like youtrip (load SGD, convert in app to forex, pay with forex) to avoid those fees. There are quite a few of those cards around these days, so you can shop around to see what you like.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Generally, it's better to pay in USD and take the credit card foreign currency transaction fee + VISA/Master fee (total about ~3+1%) than to pay in SGD with dynamic currency conversion (check their conversion rate against google or whatever). Especially true if you're using miles cards that give you bonuses for foreign currency transactions.

If you're using debit cards or credit cards that give cashback <3-4%, you might want to consider using something like youtrip (load SGD, convert in app to forex, pay with forex) to avoid those fees. There are quite a few of those cards around these days, so you can shop around to see what you like.

I agree with you when it comes to buying from Amazon or Newegg. In terms of IHerb, I don't see a big difference in terms of buying with SGD. Which is why I switched from USD to SGD when buying from iHerb.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am running CPU-Z and under Graphics tab inside the Memory section it says my memory size is only 256mb. Is that correct? I am having E585 with Ryzen 7 with Vega 10 graphic.

I am unable to play Gear of War 4 and I am getting error GW410. It says my memory is only 0.2gb and cannot play the game.

Unfortunately you can't change the memory dedicated to the iGPU here. It is dynamically allocated. Also can it run GOW4? On the desktop variant, I am sure it can run at low settings, but on this ultra low power APU, it may not be playable.

halocast

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

i think its dynamic?

max is 2gb?

unsure of this. :s13:

halocast

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyway the latest gpu drivers from amd doesn't seem to have much difference in terms of bug fixs.

still awaiting the drivers from amd that they say will release..

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

GOW4 need 2GB of VRAM which unfortunately means need a dedicated graphic card to run it.

Slowdown

Master Member
Reaction score
Sian x 100. I bought this game for fun last year. Only played it for a short while on my son's desktop. Was planning to built a ryzen rig but decided to buy E585 instead. Now the money put into this notebook is no longer worth it. I thought I can play some games on the notebook. Just a causal gamer.

GOW4 need 2GB of VRAM which unfortunately means need a dedicated graphic card to run it.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sian x 100. I bought this game for fun last year. Only played it for a short while on my son's desktop. Was planning to built a ryzen rig but decided to buy E585 instead. Now the money put into this notebook is no longer worth it. I thought I can play some games on the notebook. Just a causal gamer.

Certain games iGPU won't be able to handle/support it so need a
dedicated graphic card.

halocast

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Can play, just not the gfx intensive ones..

:s12:

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

u should have done your research properly.

nevertheless, u can always sell it off to fund for your Ryzen Rig instead :)

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

It will run some games, but realistically, it is a 15W APU, so I won't expect it to run as well as what you read for the desktop variants with significantly more power to share for both the CPU and GPU.

So assuming that the memory is not an issue, I believe it will also be a stuttering mess for this game.

frizee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Its not that bad to be honest, but really depends on your expectations. I have been using it for more than a week now and I have no issues with the WIFI performance.

Thanks bro, my router is pretty near where I usually work. :)

Dear Bro. Please refer to the following youtube for T480. The back cover design is quite similar (only difference is two hinge design for T480 vs one hinge design for E585 but it doesnt make a difference in terms of taking it off ). The video also shows how to disconnect your wifi card + 2x antennae.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHBuyu_Dy3k&t=0s&list=PLh-0uGGKu6gsJn3YZu5dZUKnFHplFzrQL&index=13

I agree with forummer watzup_ken that the stock wifi card is quite ok. For me, i chose to replace it because i like to sit in a windy part of my house that happens to be a dead spot and also wrong placement choice for my router which i dont intend to correct anytime soon.

Thanks, very helpful and useful video! Yep probably won’t replace us for now since my workspace is pretty much covered.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks bro, my router is pretty near where I usually work. :)

Then it should not be a problem. For me, I am quite close to the router when using it at home. And if I do bring it out, it connects to my phone for WIFI, which will also be near.

maleman

Reaction score
I read the starting of this thread in July 2018 have $200 discount. Now cny 2019 also have $200 discount. When I was placing order after 10pm, discount changed to $250. Sweet..... Decided to order one set.

Slowdown

Master Member
Reaction score
Do you want to share with us which model and configuration that you ordered.

I read the starting of this thread in July 2018 have $200 discount. Now cny 2019 also have $200 discount. When I was placing order after 10pm, discount changed to $250. Sweet..... Decided to order one set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.