EA8100

tek888

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I am currently on M1 fibre broadband with Asus AC1200G+ router. Recently, the router seems to be unstable. DL and UL speeds dropped below 70Mbps and need to reset the router to get back to normal speeds.

Am planning to get a Linksys EA8100 on carousell but read that this router is bundled exclusively with Starhub broadband.

Anyone knows if EA8100 have any compatibility issues with M1 broadband?

Thank you in advance!

jiangxue

Reaction score
don't think there will be internet compatibility issues but if your devices don't support DFS you may have issues.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I am currently on M1 fibre broadband with Asus AC1200G+ router. Recently, the router seems to be unstable. DL and UL speeds dropped below 70Mbps and need to reset the router to get back to normal speeds.

Am planning to get a Linksys EA8100 on carousell but read that this router is bundled exclusively with Starhub broadband.

Anyone knows if EA8100 have any compatibility issues with M1 broadband?

Thank you in advance!

the router itself can be used on any providers, except singtel due to some vlan stability, which i'm unsure if it has been fixed.

also, the partnership between linksys and star hub for ea8100 is just for the marketing tactic to boost sales, as such you won't find ea8100 being sold on the shelves.

tek888

Reaction score
the router itself can be used on any providers, except singtel due to some vlan stability, which i'm unsure if it has been fixed.

also, the partnership between linksys and star hub for ea8100 is just for the marketing tactic to boost sales, as such you won't find ea8100 being sold on the shelves.

thanks bro. that's good to know. I have been looking at EA8100 because there are many people selling this router on carousell. and the prices are very reasonable too.

Hope to get one and hook it up ASAP as my home internet is crawling now.

tek888

Reaction score
General feedback from ppl I know are, this router’s range is fairly short and the wifi is highly unstable, prone to disconnection. YMMV.

I see, thanks for the headsup bro. :)

Yes, I just read some related issues here too https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...-forum-320/issues-linksys-ea8100-5948574.html

Actually I am on the 1Gbps plan with M1 and I don't really need a very good router like ac2600. The Asus AC1200G+ served me well for the last 3 years before giving some problems recently.

Am thinking of upgrading to a faster router also to get a higher 5GHz ceiling...currently the AC1200G+ limits to 800Gbps++.

So perhaps AC1750 or AC1900 router suffice. Any recommendation bros??

- Dlink DIR-868L?
- Asus AC68U?
- TP Link c7, c8, c9 AC1750
- Dlink DIR-859?

Range is important to me. I remember years back when I was using the old Asus N56U router, it had trouble reaching my furthest bedroom. Mine is a small apartment so I don't use mesh or repeater. My current AC1200G+ can reach the last bedroom no prob.

Thanks for the advice

gld998

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Yes, I just read some related issues here too https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...-forum-320/issues-linksys-ea8100-5948574.html

Actually I am on the 1Gbps plan with M1 and I don't really need a very good router like ac2600. The Asus AC1200G+ served me well for the last 3 years before giving some problems recently.

Am thinking of upgrading to a faster router also to get a higher 5GHz ceiling...currently the AC1200G+ limits to 800Gbps++.

- Dlink DIR-868L?
- Asus AC68U?
- Dlink DIR-859?

Range is important to me. I remember years back when I was using the old Asus N56U router, it had trouble reaching my furthest bedroom. Mine is a small apartment so I don't use mesh or repeater. My current AC1200G+ can reach the last bedroom no prob.

Thanks for the advice

Just get
Option 1 - 1x Linksys EA8100 and one DIR-868L (try to get new) or
Option 2 - 1x Linksys EA8100 and recycle your AC1200G+

and a set of powerline (D-Link DHP-701AV - $59 at challenger now). Put one in room and one in hall.

There are tons on how to configure in youtube to configure as access point. You can also recycle your AC1200G+ as access point

I been using EA8100 as my main router for pass 3 months.. so far no problem. Better the dlink 868l and Asus ac87u for sure. Quite stable.

Last edited:

kashix

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

- Dlink DIR-868L?
- Asus AC68U?
- Dlink DIR-859?

Thanks for the advice

I will recommend ac68u, this model well known for stability and good range. Was using the ac68u before upgrading to my ac86u.

tek888

Reaction score
thanks bros for all the advice. I will do some more reading up this weekend before deciding which router to buy. Definitely need to change the router. Tried flashing the BIOS and also played with the settings like 80MHz channel for 5GHz, firewall, etc...but connection speeds still very low.

did a direct connection with LAN and the speeds are good. So router definitely got prob.

jiangxue

Reaction score
I would say skip the 868L. Wifi isn't that great on that router (I used to have one when I was with SH).

Of your list I would recommend the C9. Tried before and it works quite well though I hate the design but price is cheap.

Asus.... hit or miss - when it works, works damn well, but if it has issues.... pain to troubleshoot.

gld998

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I would say skip the 868L. Wifi isn't that great on that router (I used to have one when I was with SH).

Of your list I would recommend the C9. Tried before and it works quite well though I hate the design but price is cheap.

Asus.... hit or miss - when it works, works damn well, but if it has issues.... pain to troubleshoot.
I was a fan of c9 except this router have WiFi 5ghz issues, I have running 3x previously 1xV1, 1xV2 and 1xV5, plus the stock firmware is utter dismay and alot features lock. 5ghz is important only if u stream 4k content or hardcore gaming.

Sent from Old Man Pressing On For Retirement using GAGT

tek888

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just an update. I managed to buy a brand new DIR-868L and quickly hook up to my home broadband. Only did the quick setup for the wifi networks and go. I haven't had time to play around with the settings yet...so now everything is in default.

Immediately I see my wifi speeds back to normal. Also the range is quite good, can reach my last bedroom no prob at all.

So far, I am quite happy with it...will spend some time to tweak the settings and see if there's any improvements.

again, thanks to all for your advice. very helpful.

vaxvms

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks bro. that's good to know. I have been looking at EA8100 because there are many people selling this router on carousell. and the prices are very reasonable too.

Hope to get one and hook it up ASAP as my home internet is crawling now.

u must know why ppl are selling this

but if using 1 router at home just for internet purpose ,no harm low-ball the seller
sure got 1 will sell...maybe free delivery too

vaxvms

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just an update. I managed to buy a brand new DIR-868L and quickly hook up to my home broadband. Only did the quick setup for the wifi networks and go. I haven't had time to play around with the settings yet...so now everything is in default.

Immediately I see my wifi speeds back to normal. Also the range is quite good, can reach my last bedroom no prob at all.

So far, I am quite happy with it...will spend some time to tweak the settings and see if there's any improvements.

if it meet ur needs, router=good

just like some say red telco good,s ome say green good, etc ....u use it than u know who is good as if whole block only u on red telco cfm super good

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

DIR-868L is a good & reliable router as i am using 2 sets for 3+ years.

Should there be any issue you may consider to update to the latest firmware.
> DIR-868L Firmware updates
Please read the instruction in the Notes within the zip file.

Arandalo

Master Member
Reaction score
Just get
Option 1 - 1x Linksys EA8100 and one DIR-868L (try to get new) or
Option 2 - 1x Linksys EA8100 and recycle your AC1200G+

and a set of powerline (D-Link DHP-701AV - $59 at challenger now). Put one in room and one in hall.

There are tons on how to configure in youtube to configure as access point. You can also recycle your AC1200G+ as access point

I been using EA8100 as my main router for pass 3 months.. so far no problem. Better the dlink 868l and Asus ac87u for sure. Quite stable.

In what way is EA8100 better than dlink 868l? Currently using the latter and would like to know the real world differences thanks!

gld998

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In what way is EA8100 better than dlink 868l? Currently using the latter and would like to know the real world differences thanks!

Wider coverage. No more dead spots. Faster as well.

tek888

Reaction score
DIR-868L is a good & reliable router as i am using 2 sets for 3+ years.

Should there be any issue you may consider to update to the latest firmware.
> DIR-868L Firmware updates
Please read the instruction in the Notes within the zip file.

thanks bro

Finally found some time to update the BIOS and also tweak the router settings. don't see any difference in performance so far. But it is always good to flash to the latest BIOS....thanks for providing the link. very useful

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.