2.0 & 2.1 speaker discussion thread IV [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amon86

Reaction score
Is there any issue with using wharfedales 220 etc as nearfield? What about monitor audio bronze ? Too big?

Thanks

Will be using for desktop

You can consider q acoustics 3020 or 3020i if you are in budget, those sounds not bad for it's pricing and is easy to drive, no fussy on amp as well....q acoustics internal cable using QED cables so pairing with QED speaker cables is nice enough

Last edited:

zephyr11

Master Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^

i think all quite personal pref, i've heard some bright speakers, but to other people it is perfect and superb. what i like might also not be what people like, darker notes, more musical, some people must feel the BOOOOOM from the bass.
also depends what you are using it for, like proper listening, background music, watch movies, technically all use different types. also depends on space you have, how much you want to spend.

so if you ask me, it's best to test and try and learn what you like, and what you don't. most bookshelves should be up for simple/basic functions (general listening, background music).
if want can go to shops and test, usually certain brands do certain types of notes, some do stronger bass, some put more attention to mids and highs.

nautilus

Master Member
Reaction score
Hmm, is the Naim's prat due to its high current? Aka same kind of thing as Onkyo's HCPS (high current power supply) ?

Naim’s PRAT is mainly due to their excellent power supplies in their equipment. Their watts are way more powerful than it is as it’s able to swing transients due to its power reserve.

Naim 40 watts can easily sound better than some low end manufacturers 150 watts.

boredddddd

Reaction score
Hello guys, any recommendations for a 2.0 or 2.1?

From what I read from reviews/discussions online, general recommendations in the order of increasing pricing are;

Edifier e10 (~$100)
Creative Gigaworks T40 ($150 from their online store)
Logitech Z623 (~$200 from qoo10)
Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Audioengine A2+ (~$400 from qoo10)
Audioengine A5+ (too high, out of my league)

Though I suspect I'm reading of these speakers because they are paid reviews and you guys have a better idea of what is the current best value-for-money...

I don't have a fixed budget, I consider myself mainstream and not too discerning of sound since where it comes to IEMs, the $30 KZ ZSTs from china is very decent to me. Not keen in 5.1s since I don't have too much space to work with. I'm pretty much noob to this, survived on a pair of XMinis since 2011, and they are still working well to this day, though very rugged and the rubber surface is quite sticky.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, any recommendations for a 2.0 or 2.1?

From what I read from reviews/discussions online, general recommendations in the order of increasing pricing are;

Edifier e10 (~$100)
Creative Gigaworks T40 ($150 from their online store)
Logitech Z623 (~$200 from qoo10)
Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Audioengine A2+ (~$400 from qoo10)
Audioengine A5+ (too high, out of my league)

Though I suspect I'm reading of these speakers because they are paid reviews and you guys have a better idea of what is the current best value-for-money...

I don't have a fixed budget, I consider myself mainstream and not too discerning of sound since where it comes to IEMs, the $30 KZ ZSTs from china is very decent to me. Not keen in 5.1s since I don't have too much space to work with. I'm pretty much noob to this, survived on a pair of XMinis since 2011, and they are still working well to this day, though very rugged and the rubber surface is quite sticky.

For music or games?
Usually 2.0 are ideal for music.
2.1 wise they are more suited at games and movie.
The woofer will be able to produce low frequency like rumble, earthquake and etc. Much accurate than 2.0.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think all the speakers mentioned have already existed long enough for non-paid reviews to outnumber paid reviews...

But non-paid reviews are just as dangerous because 1) People are usually upgraders so they are previously using something lower price and the new purchase is the first time they own something higher price so everything sounds good to them and they have no idea how it compares, and 2) Buyer remorse / "My baby is the best" effect leading to favorable review, and 3) Bandwagon effect, a few times I have bought products that are absolutely bullcrap but nobody cares when I inform them because it is just one negative opinion from a hater versus lots of good words from people who mostly probably haven't even heard the product before. Yes I'm talking about you, China IEMs.

boredddddd

Reaction score
For music or games?
Usually 2.0 are ideal for music.
2.1 wise they are more suited at games and movie.
The woofer will be able to produce low frequency like rumble, earthquake and etc. Much accurate than 2.0.

Hello there! I do all games/music/movies, pretty everything. I am probably more inclined towards an all-rounder 2.0 because I believe I have to start managing desk space if I do go for a 2.1.

5star_pundit

Banned
Reaction score
My 2.0 edifier setup

PC --> optical cable --> edifier S1000db --> HD600

3LJrn2Y.jpg

Processor
AMD Ryzen 1700X | EK-Supremacy EVO
Mainboard
MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic
Graphics Card
MSI GTX1080 Gaming X | EK-FC1080 GTX TF6
Memory
Adata XPG Spectrix D40 2400mhz 2x8gb
Display
Acer XB271HU
Storage
WD Black NVMe 512Gb SSD
Casing
Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900
PSU
Enermax Platimax DF Platinum 1200w
Audio
Edifier S1000db | Sound Blasterx AE-5 | Sennheiser HD600
OS
Windows 10​

Cheese Steak

Reaction score
Should I get the edifier r2000db or the mackie CR5BT. Max Budget around $300. Currently using the swans M10. I had those for around 5 years.

lxXXxl

Master Member
Reaction score
slightly off topic, but those speakers that come with bluetooth built-in, do they tend to have latency issues? Or is case by case, so have to be wary when selecting speakers?

xuan87

Reaction score
currently using a Creative katana, which is great for gaming and movie watching, but not as good for music. So want to get a small 2.0 speakers to also fit under my monitor.

Was planning to get the Audioengine A2+, I had one before, it was pretty good, and the price is quite cheap, especially for used units.

But saw someone else recommended the JBL Control 2P over the A2+, which is around the same size and cheaper. Anyone has experience with these speakers?

Reaction score
finally system is UP, will take pic when I tidy up.

All used :
Monitor Audio MR2 ( selected as it's front ported ) slight toe-in
Audiolabs 8000A ( A class ) existing 9 ( Volume @ laptop 75, Vol @ amp 8 o clock )
SDAC + O2 ( O2 for headphones ) existing
Spotify Premium
Accessories : all recycled , Belden, Kimber Kable etc.

Let it run in first.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.