Reaction score
Stock Portfolio value: $452K
Emergency Funds: $11k
SSB: $10k
Warchest: $32k
Networth: ~$505k (debt-free) :s12:

Jan%2B2019%2BCDP%2Bpg1.JPG

Jan%2B2019%2BCDP%2Bpg2.JPG

Wow. You still working or doing your own business now?

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ya, but for the majority of us, money is never enough because of lifestyle inflation. Once we r earning much more, we tend to spend more or pick up finer things in life.

thats actually not the case. Read "Millionaire Next Door" for more details. Most millionaires surveyed by the authors are very frugal and do not spend lavishly.

The latest edition has just been released, very interested on its findings, whether any changes in spending habits. Waiting for library to have a copy...

TabascoSauce

Master Member
Reaction score
Ya, but for the majority of us, money is never enough because of lifestyle inflation. Once we r earning much more, we tend to spend more or pick up finer things in life.

Not for me. My income rose by more than 30% over the past few years, but my total expenditure remains more or less the same. In fact, I think I’m spending less after accounting for the increase in income tax expenditure.

cook123

Reaction score
In my case, the bulk of the spending goes towards the children
Tuition at TLL and fees for their other interests come to 30-40k pa on average

madtari

Master Member
Reaction score
Good traits spotted! I also don't spend much myself and I don't go for lavish dining/spending. However, I'm probably not as disciplined as you guys... Occasionally I will still splurge on overseas trip, treats for me and my family etc. As my income double, triple, I tend to be spending more liberally, especially on kids items & education. 1hr Heguru cost me $80. If I'm still earning like only 3k per month, no way I will want to spend this kind of money. That's what I meant by lifestyle inflation. It is not as if I am splurging all my extra income. Nett nett I'm still saving more as my income grows, but so do my spending. That's the point I was making. :)

EDIT: Oh ya, how can I forget the biggest lifestyle inflation... buying a car!

thats actually not the case. Read "Millionaire Next Door" for more details. Most millionaires surveyed by the authors are very frugal and do not spend lavishly.

The latest edition has just been released, very interested on its findings, whether any changes in spending habits. Waiting for library to have a copy...

Not for me. My income rose by more than 30% over the past few years, but my total expenditure remains more or less the same. In fact, I think I’m spending less after accounting for the increase in income tax expenditure.

Last edited:

Toni90

Reaction score

These people don’t have higher income lah. They only get more saving.

cook123

Reaction score
To jump ahead of most pple, one would prob need both
Ie have higher income as well as higher savings

focus1974

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Our education plays an important role as well. My parents have been telling me since young to study hard, chase paper, get a good job etc. In a way they r right... cos hiring managers make their hiring decisions based on meritocracy (or connections)... they don't hire someone just bcos they r in hardship or they sympathise the job applicant. End of the day, they have an obligation to the company/organisation to hire good and suitable employees (based on cv and interview). There aren't too many not-for-profit or charitable organisations/companies around u know.

How do you explain the countless CECAs working in IT sector or the banks.
How about the pinoys everywhere in offices... doing entry level jobs and even mid level managerial ...

They got there by meritocracy? You mean our graduates cannot compete with them?

havetheveryfun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Our education plays an important role as well. My parents have been telling me since young to study hard, chase paper, get a good job etc. In a way they r right... cos hiring managers make their hiring decisions based on meritocracy (or connections)... they don't hire someone just bcos they r in hardship or they sympathise the job applicant. End of the day, they have an obligation to the company/organisation to hire good and suitable employees (based on cv and interview). There aren't too many not-for-profit or charitable organisations/companies around u know.

yes.. but what happens when everyone is told to study hard, chase paper, get a good job... it just means that following this norm is not going to work anymore in the future if everyone is doing the same thing.. and it is beginning to show now.. getting a degree is not even enough nowadays... after studying for 10-20 over years, still get told to "upgrade" and "upgrade" until you die... boring and stupid life...

tats why it is not hard to see why youngsters sometimes would rather prefer to drive grab/phv or do other things and use that income to do something better/ something else rather than climbing the corporate ladder.. not everyone has the ability or discipline to continuously upgrade themselves to be always ahead of others.. thats why some accept their fate n just work in certain jobs like bus drivers, f&b or retail staff where there may not be as much room to climb..

Gitaro

Reaction score
Congrats! May I know your work background? Like did you get into senior management or was it some high flying finance career or something?

I am not a senior manager lah. Just doing my small time consulatncy business.

ahboy82

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
A lot of fch ppl like dividends warrior, tabascosauce here. All earning high pay, saving lots.

Sometimes u c le really will feel very emo.

:(

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.