Running pace

s7460597

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I use a running pouch belt for my smart phone and small change. Can run hands free.

darr

Reaction score
thanks for ur reply

i'm doing laborious work mainly.. got quite muscular arms..

the numbness come n go... sometimes ok sometimes really very numb.

yes.. shaking my arms n fingers does help.

so... when running, need to swing the arms? I'm holding my phone when running usually..
those phone arm band i bought don't feel comfortable :(

Arms motion is important to sustain running pace. The shakin is just temporary to ease the discomfort during running. I swing my arms in all manner to maintain pace, for example I straighten my arms and fast swing in small angles to generate more cadence for momentum when running uphill (prevent slowdown) but bent my elbows forward and swing less for more stability when going downhill (prevent speedup).

Muscles are generally stiff, need to work them for more flexibility so the nerves don’t get so compressed. Do weights also for repetitions instead of max effort only. Over time the muscle fibres will be more flexible but still retain form. Foam rolling also helps a lot. It eases the muscle knots and reduces the ‘stickiness’ of the fascia tissues surrounding the muscles. Whether stiff muscles, muscle knots or fascia is the main culprit varies among individuals but all helps. For example i have slipped disc so I have a persistent numbness shooting down my left leg into the toes all the time, I can only ease it doing core and foam rolling.

I also hold my phone when running cos i use app to track manual laps. I buy those women armbands so I can strap to my palm. Just don’t buy pink lol.

Dystopia

Reaction score
runningshoesguru.com/2013/04/running-arm-swing-your-secret-weapon/

thank u

n thanks all for the replies

i don't have any arm band now.... existing one don't fit my heavy n big phone + don't feel comfortable over my arm.... feels tight.. like wearing smart 4...
already order another bigger arm band.. hope it will fit better..

music with running feels better for me.. kill two birds with one stone..
can exercise and listen to songs ... two activities together at same time is good.

anyway... just hope the numbness is not from any heart issue...

am not obese or overweight..
1.70m @ 67kg... just lose 4 kg over the past few months from running..exercising...dieting..

still drinking beer occasionally.. doing low carb mainly..
sometimes really anyhow eat..
but definintely no extra additional processed sugar.. aka sweets

natas

Reaction score
Slow jogger with pace of 7 for 5km. I lost near to 10kg after almost a year of jogging n gym.

I dun control my diet but also dun indulge into fatty, sweet, junk food. Most of my lunch is out in hawker, I choose what I fancy at that moment while most dinner, mum cooks. Weekend, my family chooses the food to eat, KFC, MC, pizza, etc. I am a weekend, beer drinker.

Happy with my pace, distance, body build, weight, (71-72kg, height 175cm) and still eat as normal. :D

darr

Reaction score
Slow jogger with pace of 7 for 5km. I lost near to 10kg after almost a year of jogging n gym.

I dun control my diet but also dun indulge into fatty, sweet, junk food. Most of my lunch is out in hawker, I choose what I fancy at that moment while most dinner, mum cooks. Weekend, my family chooses the food to eat, KFC, MC, pizza, etc. I am a weekend, beer drinker.

Happy with my pace, distance, body build, weight, (71-72kg, height 175cm) and still eat as normal. :D

Exactly.

Health is important but I still must enjoy food. Munching broccoli at every meal, eating endless nuts, totally no sugar, no fried food. Not my idea of healthy living.

Many times i come across ‘success’ stories of people who kept their weight off by totally avoiding junk food, eating very selective food, not eating much during social gatherings...etc. I can never understand, what are they living for :s11:

To me, everything should do in moderation, to enjoy bits of everything. Even running for hours, if not scenic ones, is not my idea of meaningful time spent either.

THEMIKOS

Reaction score
This post is certainly very encouraging.. i hope to lose 10kg like u and yet enjoy the lifestyle that i have like eating whatever i like.

darr

Reaction score
I was trying the run-walk-run (RWR) method yesterday. Earlier I was planning to just do a trail walk on the Kent Ridge-Telok Blangah-Mt Faber loop and find a spot to read a book.

It's nothing fancy (it's no different from interval running) but was introduced by Jeff Galloway to have a more disciplined approach to the walk-breaks. Normally we run till we need to slow down, or walk as long as we feel like. The RWR guides you to fix to a routine of running only during the run phase (regardless how energetic you are even when the run phase is up), and to run when the walk phase is up.

The ratio of run-walk duration varies based on your running pace. The run-walk ratio can be estimated by your 5k running pace and magic mile time. For my 3-5k pace of 4:45-5:15, I chose run:walk ratio of 150s:30s at the start, 120s:30s at 3-8km, 90s:30s at 8-10km, 60s:30s at 10-15km. I chose more frequent breaks as the distance increase as I am not an endurance runner, and I was also carrying a fairly heavy backpack of stuff (book, water, food, phones...)

Regardless the ratio you picked, some important points are:
- no matter how energetic you feel, stop the run when your chosen run time is up (otherwise you will feel tired faster downstream).
- do not walk longer than 30s (else difficult to pick up running pace).
- do not walk at too slow or too fast pace (9-11min/km feels about right).

I think it is worth trying out this method, as it's physically less strenuous and yet doesn't slow down your overall timing, and depending on the ratio and pace you picked, you can end up with faster timings. Another bonus is the constant changes in the heart rate between the run-walk pacing can help to build up your surge capacity.

With the RWR, I managed a similar timing of just over an hour for the hilly terrain as compared running a flat and fairly shaded 10km route. This is a big difference because I was carrying a load, running over hilly terrain, and very hot cloudless day. My achievements were:
- I estimated 20min faster timing than if I ran segments until tired, which is normally 1hr 30min.
- I hardly feel tired at the 5km mark when doing the Mt Faber loop and running the Henderson Bridge on the upslope at 6km mark. I would be panting and hardly running otherwise.
- I still can run at the 9km mark when going up Kent Ridge from Hort Park. Otherwise I would already be walking.
- My heart rate never went above 150 and during the walks went down to 130.
- The joints hardly ache, which I think is much healthier method to run in the long haul.

Give it a try. It's less strenuous for my old bones...

natas

Reaction score
To me, everything should do in moderation, to enjoy bits of everything. Even running for hours, if not scenic ones, is not my idea of meaningful time spent either.

Depends on individual opinion on "healthy". As long they live with their own "healthy" food and dun come n bother me on my diet, I am fine with them. These ppl seldom want to ask them out for meal cause they will say can only eat this n that. :D

This post is certainly very encouraging.. i hope to lose 10kg like u and yet enjoy the lifestyle that i have like eating whatever i like.

Exercise regularly and rightly, weight will go down slowly. Dun always say no time, tired... just do it. I started with 400m (no joke) then slowly increment till now, 5 km easily. Occasionally, I will go for 7-8km as I target 10km by this year.

Last edited:

Beta_Tester

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
My 2 cents based on my research and personal experience.

Shin area pain. Likely cause is poor running form in particular over striding. Are you heel striking? I had same problem until I changed my running form. There's lots of YouTube videos on how to improve your running form. Need time to change.

Running distance. Suspect it's due to vo2 max capacity or lack of. Need to slowly build up. Suggest using a 'couch to 5k' app. Follow the getting schedule which is 3 times a week.

After decades of inactivity, started running 2-3 years ago. At that time I couldn't even run 100 metres before being breathless. I'm using a 5k to 10k app. Now I can run longer but am still super slow. I'm way older than you guys.

I guess so, likely be running form. I am trying to clock 3 days of running per week since i will be free for the next 1 month odd before work starts. The app looks really good.

Adding static exercise on the days i dont do the runs.

Plus i am eating better these days. Hopefully it last. lol.

Thanks.

darr

Reaction score
I was trying the run-walk-run (RWR) method yesterday. Earlier I was planning to just do a trail walk on the Kent Ridge-Telok Blangah-Mt Faber loop and find a spot to read a book.

It's nothing fancy (it's no different from interval running) but was introduced by Jeff Galloway to have a more disciplined approach to the walk-breaks. Normally we run till we need to slow down, or walk as long as we feel like. The RWR guides you to fix to a routine of running only during the run phase (regardless how energetic you are even when the run phase is up), and to run when the walk phase is up.

The ratio of run-walk duration varies based on your running pace. The run-walk ratio can be estimated by your 5k running pace and magic mile time. For my 3-5k pace of 4:45-5:15, I chose run:walk ratio of 150s:30s at the start, 120s:30s at 3-8km, 90s:30s at 8-10km, 60s:30s at 10-15km. I chose more frequent breaks as the distance increase as I am not an endurance runner, and I was also carrying a fairly heavy backpack of stuff (book, water, food, phones...)

Regardless the ratio you picked, some important points are:
- no matter how energetic you feel, stop the run when your chosen run time is up (otherwise you will feel tired faster downstream).
- do not walk longer than 30s (else difficult to pick up running pace).
- do not walk at too slow or too fast pace (9-11min/km feels about right).

I think it is worth trying out this method, as it's physically less strenuous and yet doesn't slow down your overall timing, and depending on the ratio and pace you picked, you can end up with faster timings. Another bonus is the constant changes in the heart rate between the run-walk pacing can help to build up your surge capacity.

With the RWR, I managed a similar timing of just over an hour for the hilly terrain as compared running a flat and fairly shaded 10km route. This is a big difference because I was carrying a load, running over hilly terrain, and very hot cloudless day. My achievements were:
- I estimated 20min faster timing than if I ran segments until tired, which is normally 1hr 30min.
- I hardly feel tired at the 5km mark when doing the Mt Faber loop and running the Henderson Bridge on the upslope at 6km mark. I would be panting and hardly running otherwise.
- I still can run at the 9km mark when going up Kent Ridge from Hort Park. Otherwise I would already be walking.
- My heart rate never went above 150 and during the walks went down to 130.
- The joints hardly ache, which I think is much healthier method to run in the long haul.

Give it a try. It's less strenuous for my old bones...

Gave the RWR a try yesterday morning on a flatter route. I ran from Alexandra Canal to Decathlon Kallang yesterday to see some of the trail run equipment (even if nothing interesting, I would still save $6 petrol lol). The route was 15km. I never ran that distance before. It started warm (28deg at 9am) but shot up to 31deg when I on the 7km mark reaching the Marina Barrage area and had to break my rule of resting more than 30s to cool down sufficiently in the open sun. I took 45s breaks.

My initial ratio was 120:30, then changed to 60:30 once it gets hotter, and 45:45 or 30:30 when under the sun along the Marina Barrage, changed back to 60:30 once there's more shade along the Kallang side.

My overall pace is just under 6:00 and a estimated 10k of 56min+. I think it's not bad for a 10k under the sun. The last time I ran a 10k was 1hr 10min a year ago. RWR works very well for me, and I have zero aches (except for the calf aches still persisting from the 7k hill repeats last Sat....)

This coming Fri morning I will use RWR on a 15k/21k Macritchie trail, using the Kalenji 10L running backpack I bought immediately after trying it out at the store. The pack is so so comfortable! Totally worth the $55, 1/4 of those crazy expensive UD and Salomon...

s7460597

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Doesn't have to be running to lose weight. Best to choose something which is most enjoyable as it should be sustainable over time. Need to make it a habit.

Beta_Tester

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I from can't run. Now.. Using the app. I can do 3.25km in 30mins? I think quite a feat but can do much better. I took more rest than app asked.

Any tips to improve ah. I also think my breathing technique not so good.

Thanks

bendi85

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys if you all have difficulties running, why not try HIIT?
Just 15mins per session 3 times a week.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.