View Single Post
Old 14-02-2019, 10:27 PM   #1
it_geek
Master Member

New to RAM overclocking

Hi all =)

Quite a while back, I posted a thread about an aging computer that I had. I decided to just change out the RAM and it was determined to be the cause of the BSODs. Turns out the corsair ram was the most problematic and I decided to pop it over to convergent systems and try my luck. We will see how that goes as I have a 8 week waiting window. In addition, a faulty SATA cable completely halted the detection of hard drives and it has been replaced.

Now, I have obtained 4 x 2GB Kingston HyperX 1066MHz DDR2 RAM to keep this rig running.

At 1.8V and a 5-5-5-18 timing it runs only at 800MHz.

Problem is, I do want to learn how to safely overclock without destroying the RAM or my MB.

Which values should I adjust? The GIGABYTE MB is exceptionally flexible to modify every single parameter so I don't really know which to start with.

See this guide here from page 40 onwards.

Which value should I change first? I obviously have to modify the timing to 5-5-5-15, but what about the voltages? Should I only change the DRAM voltage to 2.2 or 2.3V? What about the core and termination voltages? What about the channel specific voltages? I also read somewhere that the North Bridge voltage must be changed also... but by how much is a question that remains unknown.

Also, I am only using the stock heatsink for this RAM, is it necessarily to get an additional cooler if I am intending to overclock the RAM?

Specs for this computer are available in my previous thread (link in the first sentence...)

Appreciate everyone's help here, then perhaps I am more ready to overclock future more powerful rigs. I am learning how to overclock for training first.

Last edited by it_geek; 14-02-2019 at 11:00 PM..
Processor
Core i7-720QM
Mainboard
Lenovo W510 4391-A72
Graphics Card
NVIDIA Quadro FX880M
Memory
16GB PC3-10600 1333MHz Kingston ValueRAM
Display
15.6" 1920 x 1080 2 point touchscreen
Storage
1TB Seagate SSHD (Internal) + 2TB Seagate Firecuda SSHD (via eSATA)
Optical Storage
Panasonic/Matsushita LC-20N DVD-RW
Casing
W510
PSU
Lenovo 135W AC Adapter
Audio
Conexant 20585 SmartAudioHD
OS
Windows 10 Pro x64 (1709)

it_geek is offline   Reply With Quote