The Watch Thread - Part 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed.YEO

Banned
Reaction score
...doesn't seem serviceable like Sistem 51..
20190215_535b5f543a74e34407b5VqTh4WfG9SAt.jpg

后蓋可以開。這次的上鏈陀在錶盤正面。

cyrenic

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
20190215_535b5f543a74e34407b5VqTh4WfG9SAt.jpg

后蓋可以開。這次的上鏈陀在錶盤正面。

But the movement is based off the Sistem 51 which I recall was not designed to be serviced.

I guess they could adopt a movement replacement approach.

yeerk009

Reaction score
Hi guys, just wanted to share my bad experience buying a Breitling Navitimer from watches of Switzerland (paragon outlet). Recently purchased this piece before CNY. I'll try my best to keep this short.

Purchased this luxury piece from their outlet the Friday before CNY. Within a few days, I realized that the watch was running super fast (gaining 5 secs everyminute), contacted the outlet and they told me to bring it down to the Breitling service center myself to get it checked out.

I took my own time off work to travel down to the service center (which was only open during weekdays working hours) and the service center said that the watch had an out of position hairspring, which was usually caused by excessive winding or hard knocks to the watch, all of which was not typical of a new watch. I am certain I did not cause any of this. They said after repairing it will be 'as good as new' but repair time takes 2 weeks.

Also, service center noted some "fine lines on the caseback, bezel, clasp and case", which they said was typical for any watch put on display - this i'm not so angry about i guess.

Hearing this I was pretty pissed and frustrated at the authorized dealer for selling me such a product which was admittedly defective in the first place. The authorized dealer said that they are looking into it but it's been a couple of days and still no reply.

My question here is what would you do if put in a similar situation? Right now the problem is fixable but will take 2 weeks and it should be 'as good as new' as informed by the breitling service center. But is it really logical for me to pay so much money to the AD to buy a watch that is defective and take my own time to bring it to service myself? Should a refund be in order? What other forms of recourse would you seek?

Let me know your thoughts, thanks!

cyrenic

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Every watch, no matter how expensive, has a chance of being a lemon. It's hard to say when the problem was introduced, and difficult to determine who was the cause - could very well be Breitling, rather than WoS.

I'm not sure it is reasonable to expect the retailer to be able to check every sold watch to ensure that it is running on time.

But was the discount substantial? Did you get a display set with higher discount (since you don't seem fazed by the fine lines?)? Actually, why didn't you ask the retailer if they can give you a new piece right away if there's stock, if it's clear that you did not cause the problem?

That said, my caveat is that I've never purchased any luxury piece from a retailer, all of mine are second hand pieces so not sure if they would swap out a piece for you.

Last edited:

yeerk009

Reaction score
Every watch, no matter how expensive, has a chance of being a lemon. It's hard to say when the problem was introduced, and difficult to determine who was the cause - could very well be Breitling, rather than WoS.

I'm not sure it is reasonable to expect the retailer to be able to check every sold watch to ensure that it is running on time.

But was the discount substantial? Did you get a display set with higher discount (since you don't seem fazed by the fine lines?)? Actually, why didn't you ask the retailer if they can give you a new piece right away if there's stock, if it's clear that you did not cause the problem?

That said, my caveat is that I've never purchased any luxury piece from a retailer, all of mine are second hand pieces so not sure if they would swap out a piece for you.

Haha, thanks for your reply.

No, I did not receive a discount that was substantial (it was only about $100 cheaper than what other ADs quoted me). Reason I am not fazed by the fine lines is because I could not visually see them during my inspection and the service center told me that it is a pretty normal case for almost all watches sent to them. Not sure how that holds up, but given the other issue I had with the watch (i.e it not keeping time), this seems to be the least of my problems and I decided to let it go.

The issue now is that the model I purchased is out of production, as it was the one with the older logo from Breitling. Breitling has offered a replacement for the model with the new logo which I did not accept as I personally did not find it that appealing.

That said, Breitling has offered to service the watch to a good working condition. My question is whether you all think this is an acceptable resolution to the issue? To me, I am inclined to think that a newly purchased watch should not require servicing so soon. If I had known during the time of purchase about this issue, I would not have purchased it. Is it too unreasonable to ask for a refund or should I just accept this resolution and let it go? :/

Anyways, the main point throughout all of this is to highlight the fact that the Paragon WoS AD has remained largely silent and unhelpful about this issue, and there was no meaningful communication to me whatsoever (at least, from my point of view), which is just poor after-sales service. Breitling has been the one proactively reaching out to me to keep me updated and to offer potential solutions.

yamakazi51

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, just wanted to share my bad experience buying a Breitling Navitimer from watches of Switzerland (paragon outlet). Recently purchased this piece before CNY. I'll try my best to keep this short.

Purchased this luxury piece from their outlet the Friday before CNY. Within a few days, I realized that the watch was running super fast (gaining 5 secs everyminute), contacted the outlet and they told me to bring it down to the Breitling service center myself to get it checked out.

I took my own time off work to travel down to the service center (which was only open during weekdays working hours) and the service center said that the watch had an out of position hairspring, which was usually caused by excessive winding or hard knocks to the watch, all of which was not typical of a new watch. I am certain I did not cause any of this. They said after repairing it will be 'as good as new' but repair time takes 2 weeks.

Also, service center noted some "fine lines on the caseback, bezel, clasp and case", which they said was typical for any watch put on display - this i'm not so angry about i guess.

Hearing this I was pretty pissed and frustrated at the authorized dealer for selling me such a product which was admittedly defective in the first place. The authorized dealer said that they are looking into it but it's been a couple of days and still no reply.

My question here is what would you do if put in a similar situation? Right now the problem is fixable but will take 2 weeks and it should be 'as good as new' as informed by the breitling service center. But is it really logical for me to pay so much money to the AD to buy a watch that is defective and take my own time to bring it to service myself? Should a refund be in order? What other forms of recourse would you seek?

Lemon law still apply?

Spartanz.

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

No, I did not receive a discount that was substantial (it was only about $100 cheaper than what other ADs quoted me). Reason I am not fazed by the fine lines is because I could not visually see them during my inspection and the service center told me that it is a pretty normal case for almost all watches sent to them. Not sure how that holds up, but given the other issue I had with the watch (i.e it not keeping time), this seems to be the least of my problems and I decided to let it go.

The issue now is that the model I purchased is out of production, as it was the one with the older logo from Breitling. Breitling has offered a replacement for the model with the new logo which I did not accept as I personally did not find it that appealing.

That said, Breitling has offered to service the watch to a good working condition. My question is whether you all think this is an acceptable resolution to the issue? To me, I am inclined to think that a newly purchased watch should not require servicing so soon. If I had known during the time of purchase about this issue, I would not have purchased it. Is it too unreasonable to ask for a refund or should I just accept this resolution and let it go? :/

Anyways, the main point throughout all of this is to highlight the fact that the Paragon WoS AD has remained largely silent and unhelpful about this issue, and there was no meaningful communication to me whatsoever (at least, from my point of view), which is just poor after-sales service. Breitling has been the one proactively reaching out to me to keep me updated and to offer potential solutions.

a refund is definitely not possible buying from ADs , if u look at yr receipt there is a statment mentionging goods sold are not refunable and exchangeable.

u could try push for a exchange but its highly unlikely since u bought it before cny and there are signs of wear and tear.

i have been in yr situation before, brand new watch being send to service centre to be rectified , and service center ends up messing up watch by scratching the dial and introducing dust into watch.

in my opinion, u could only sent it to the service centre but make sure u do a thorough check before leaving. but dont expect it to be in a brand new condition after servicing.

yeerk009

Reaction score
i have been in yr situation before, brand new watch being send to service centre to be rectified , and service center ends up messing up watch by scratching the dial and introducing dust into watch..

Wow :O that sounds pretty bad.

Spartanz.

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wow :O that sounds pretty bad.

for yr info, it was also a breitling bought from WOS paragon and i sent to Melchers service centre like u.

i have other watches with quality issues too.

my personal opinion is as much as possible try to avoid sending a watch in for servicing as much as possible.

there is always a chance that once a watch is open, more issues might come up. dust in dial, scratch on hands , dials , scratch on case etc , chrono hands not aligned etc.

try monitioring yr watch for few more days and see if u can live with it.

fabiaN__

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I would ask for an exchange. But not sure if can get. Haha

yeerk009

Reaction score
for yr info, it was also a breitling bought from WOS paragon and i sent to Melchers service centre like u.

i have other watches with quality issues too.

my personal opinion is as much as possible try to avoid sending a watch in for servicing as much as possible.

there is always a chance that once a watch is open, more issues might come up. dust in dial, scratch on hands , dials , scratch on case etc , chrono hands not aligned etc.

try monitioring yr watch for few more days and see if u can live with it.

Wtf...this is the same case as me. So you didn't pursue the issue any further or escalate it to anyone after realizing that they didn't service your watch properly? :O

**** now i'm more inclined towards getting my bank to dispute the transaction and charge it back if they do not give me a refund haha. Really liked the watch though :l

Spartanz.

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wtf...this is the same case as me. So you didn't pursue the issue any further or escalate it to anyone after realizing that they didn't service your watch properly? :O

**** now i'm more inclined towards getting my bank to dispute the transaction and charge it back if they do not give me a refund haha. Really liked the watch though :l

refund is definitely not possible if thats what u want.

they might do a exchange but u already mention there are signs of exterior wear and tear which makes it even harder.

if it really bothers u then service it but make sure u do a detailed check.

cyrenic

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Meaning, you are asking for partial refund?

That's not fair la, since they sold you a piece with official warranty, and Breitling is taking responsibility. Breitling also offer to let you have a new piece on the spot, but it didnt suit your needs.

In my view, just get Breitling to extend your warranty by 2 weeks. You are not worse off in the end.

Not sure what the retailer could do, as I did say earlier that you do get lemons. Even AP has issues with this, as other bros here have shared before.

cyrenic

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Charge back for the watch and you keep it?

Not simple. If I'm the credit company, with the amount involved, it won't be easy on your end. I don't think you have a case here tbh.

What is the dispute based on? Goods not as delivered or promised? They gave you a Breitling that the service centre is fixing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.