Can Nvidia Shield TV replace a PC for casual use, under $300?

kimsix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Newegg selling the controller set at S$248. After i add wireless keyboard and mouse another $40. Can i use it to browse Chrome, Facebook App, Youtube App, Chinese drama apps for parents use? With minimal lag?

I hear can use Geforce Now streaming games for free trial now, and also have good console emulators, can watch Netflix and Amazon Prime, so even for core users is casual enough after we add a fast thumbdrive storage?

How fast is Newegg free delivery?

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I believe the Shield TV is capable of doing all that you listed. However, do note that it's pretty memory limited as compared to newer Android devices. It's after all quite old, and Nvidia have not updated it for few years.

JAson1980

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can add micro SD card for storage, my first gen is still going on strong!

RouK3ziLa

Master Member
Reaction score
I personally have one .. the complains are controller sometime 吃不到 ..also wifi signal not strong as compare with mibox ..

Newegg selling the controller set at S$248. After i add wireless keyboard and mouse another $40. Can i use it to browse Chrome, Facebook App, Youtube App, Chinese drama apps for parents use? With minimal lag?

I hear can use Geforce Now streaming games for free trial now, and also have good console emulators, can watch Netflix and Amazon Prime, so even for core users is casual enough after we add a fast thumbdrive storage?

kimsix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I personally have one .. the complains are controller sometime 吃不到 ..also wifi signal not strong as compare with mibox ..
Haha controller is maybe for younger user like me to play around geforce now see how.

But if doing simple viewing and works like android phone, should be good value, no need pay more for intel nuc or htpc setup. Reviews say os is fast but need to side load chrome? After side load can auto update from play store?

Placed an order for one, quite affordable if works as reviews.

RouK3ziLa

Master Member
Reaction score
Haha controller is maybe for younger user like me to play around geforce now see how.

But if doing simple viewing and works like android phone, should be good value, no need pay more for intel nuc or htpc setup. Reviews say os is fast but need to side load chrome? After side load can auto update from play store?

Placed an order for one, quite affordable if works as reviews.

cannot update from play store andriod TV .. you need to side load again .. when cannot work .

Reaction score

Beelink
Gemini X45 Basic
SGD$200

This is the current most bang for buck Mini-PC.
Comes with Windows 10
J4105
4GB RAM
64GB Storage

Buy at Aliexpress.

Bonn

Master Member
Reaction score
The Android TV OS is really more fluid compared to the more expensive android boxes. Its worth to the get Mibox since its so cheap and serve its purpose. I don't play games on it and only watch Netflix on it. The Netflix 4K UHD does looks good though.

msaz

Reaction score
if you only have $300 bucks to spend why not get a refurbished pc from HP or lenovo .some are ard $200 and source for a 2nd hand gpu like 750 ti. a reasonable gaming rig still capable of running newer games at medium setting in 1080p

Rock-kun

Reaction score
The Shield TV appears fast because it attempts to use the embedded GPU to accelerate most of the stuff it runs, such as media playback.

And even then it has limitations. Hardware circuits are always more inflexible than general purpose software processing. Don't be surprised it certain CPU-driven applications stutter badly on it.

And I still despise the shitty performance of ARM processor cores. Can't even compare to x86 Atom processors clock for clock.

kimsix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Beelink
Gemini X45 Basic
SGD$200

Comes with Windows 10
J4105
4GB RAM
64GB Storage

Buy at Aliexpress.

wah i will try this if i know earlier but is really good? I hear STV a lot of android apps not able to load directly, how troublesome for android box users? I will report this weekend.

Reaction score
wah i will try this if i know earlier but is really good? I hear STV a lot of android apps not able to load directly, how troublesome for android box users? I will report this weekend.

This is really good.
It is running windows 10.
J4105 is more powerful than I3-2100.
10W per hour only.

alphaone

Reaction score
Beelink
Gemini X45 Basic
SGD$200

Comes with Windows 10
J4105
4GB RAM
64GB Storage

Buy at Aliexpress.

Looks gd! Would you have an even cheaper model to recomd? If it's just for net surfing and 1080p YouTube?

Thanks in advance! :)

Reaction score
Looks gd! Would you have an even cheaper model to recomd? If it's just for net surfing and 1080p YouTube?

Thanks in advance! :)

This is the best bang for buck.
There is nothing cheaper or better price/performance wise.

If you just want to surf net and youtube,
ask your relatives for any of those unused andriod box.
Since nowadays all new TV comes with Andriod.

Or grab a cheap andriod box like the xiaomi one maybe $50-$80.

Soul77

Reaction score
Search for wintel mini pc at aliexpress for $108, fully function windows 10

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.