Need to upgrade MOBO+CPU. Can give some recommendations?

ahyeo

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Its been many years since I upgraded and DIY my own PC and I have lost touch with current technology. So I am hoping to get some advise from experts here.

I currently have the following setup from 2014:

CPU: Intel i5-4670 @ 3.4GHz
MB: Gigabyte B85M-D3H
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL9 @1.5V UDIMM 240-Pin Memory BLS2KIT8G3D1609DS1S00
HDD: SanDisk Ultra Plus 256GB SATA 6.0GB/s 2.5-Inch 7mm Height Solid State Drive (SSD) With Read Up To 530MB/s- SDSSDHP-256G-FFP
Graphic Card: NVIDIA Quadro K600 1GB DDR3 Graphics card
PS: Seasonic SS-620GM

My motherboard seems to be failing me. USB ports are not working well, the ports are rusty/corroded. Am thinking of just changing the CPU + MB and possibly upgrading the RAM if i need to.

I don't play games. Mainly use for work. Usual task include watching videos, surfing internet, using MS applications, image editing, video editing, running light simulations, simple 3D modelling. The Nvidia Quadro is serving me well for my video editing and simple 3D modelling needs so might not change it unless there is a cheap and good option out there.

Hoping to get something that can last me for the next 3-4 years. Budget for MOBO+CPU to be less than S$500. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Koenig168

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ryzen CPU has the best price-to-performance now. You will also need to upgrade the RAM to DDR4 as your DDR3 is not compatible with current gen motherboards.

ahyeo

Reaction score
Ok. Thanks guys. All looks like I will need to buy CPU + Mobo + RAM....

Shutterbox

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
mobo+CPU, simlim shops combo price can be competitive against individual prices of mobo and cpu, even newegg

moreover, its better to have local warranty for mobo.

RAM, i guess buy online from amazon/newegg should be ok..

for me, I'll do that..:s12:

ahyeo

Reaction score
Any particular MB to get? I don't need any fanciful gaming MB with LEDs. More interested in reliability and performance.

DefiantKai

Reaction score
Any particular MB to get? I don't need any fanciful gaming MB with LEDs. More interested in reliability and performance.

you can consider either msi b450 gaming pro carbon ac or tomahawk. both are pretty good, for amd cpu

zellas

Reaction score
I suggest taking Ryzen 2600 (1600 and 2600 price values is not that far apart, getting 2600 is more worth it), with MSI B450M Bazooka Plus would be good.

Looking at your previous MB sizing, I assume your casing would be of smaller size, so i recommend getting a B450M MB.

In addition, Ryzen CPU is more RAM dependent, when getting RAMs you should consider getting 3000MHz or above RAMs. Can take a look at Klevv RAMs if you want as they are more of value for money.

You can get these items slight all in all @ slightly lower then $600 @ SLS. =)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.