Is it true that Terminate Fibre plan no need return ONT for M1?

croc1977

Banned
Reaction score
Dear Mr xxxx

Thank you for your email reply.

You are not required to return the ONT upon termination of your fibre service.

Have a good day.

Best regards,

Customer Service
M1 Limited

Is it true??:s11:

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Even if someone who damaged their ONT may not able to simply buy from outside source.

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ONT is locked down to individual household much like the old cable modem, meaning it not possible to re-use it elsewhere without back-end changes by ISP/RSP.

In short, it's pretty much worthless to layman.

Arandalo

Master Member
Reaction score
Wow didn't know it's locked down to the household unit. I guess the service provider is able to configure from their end?

t258jgn

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I have the Huawei 10G ONR. M1 don wan it when I terminate service.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have the Huawei 10G ONR. M1 don wan it when I terminate service.

That is not a cheap piece of equipment.

Can use it as a 10Gbps switch ? Or is it just a 10 port gigabit switch like their XGpon business offering?
https://www.m1.com.sg/business/products/broadband/internet/xgpon

For SingTel, you do not need to return ONT but you do need to return the ONR, even for the ONR used with 1Gbps/2Gbps/1+1Gbps plan, let alone for the 10Gbps plan.

Last edited:

sgreview

Reaction score
Not a IT person.. Recently terminated 1Gbps plan with StarHub and they requested for modem to be returned, just wondering is it only M1 will ask customer not to return?

Was spring cleaning and found a Huawei EchoLife HG8240 modem, I think it was from m1, what can I do with it? Can it be used for other ISP? Any buyers if trry to sell it online?

giraffey

Reaction score
Not a IT person.. Recently terminated 1Gbps plan with StarHub and they requested for modem to be returned, just wondering is it only M1 will ask customer not to return?

Was spring cleaning and found a Huawei EchoLife HG8240 modem, I think it was from m1, what can I do with it? Can it be used for other ISP? Any buyers if trry to sell it online?

Most ISPs require the ONT to be returned (ONTs are leased to the customer). M1 does not. The ONT even when the ISP does not take back (e.g. Huawei Echolife) cannot be reused. Anyway, whenever you change providers or every few years, you would be issues a new ONT.

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

ONT like the one provided by M1 is pretty much useless to the layman. M1 continue to provide support for those active ONT and replace it foc when faulty, meaning there is no resale value even if it can be reuse!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.