AFTERSHOCK PC - Now featuring Nvidia 10 series graphics cards!

ZenZeZ

Reaction score
Hi I have a newly purchased Apex-17 and the keyboard isn't working with backlit shown as well. I'm not able to bring it to the service centre as I'm studying abroad now. How could I possibly fix this? This happened out of nowhere after starting up my laptop the next occurring day. Battery to seems to have an issue as well. Battery percentage is only dropping even while being charged.

Last edited:

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi I have a newly purchased Apex-17 and the keyboard isn't working with backlit shown as well. I'm not able to bring it to the service centre as I'm studying abroad now. How could I possibly fix this? This happened out of nowhere after starting up my laptop the next occurring day. Battery to seems to have an issue as well. Battery percentage is only dropping even while being charged.

When you mentioned that battery is dropping despite the fact that you are charging it, are you gaming on the laptop? I am asking because I know of laptops where the bundled charger is not able to keep up with the power consumption of the laptop under load, and as a result, the laptop will get power from the wall socket and the battery at the same time.

Aftershock don't seem to state the specs of the power brick, which makes it hard to determine if it is sufficient power for the laptop configuration.

chiaRH

Reaction score

these dont seem to be software related so I doubt there's anything you could do to "possibly fix this" as you'd need hardware replacements probably.

narkizy

Reaction score

Highly suggest you talk to a AS rep via email rather than ask here as you'll most likely require hardware repairs. Get AS to agree to cover your shipping(see below) and ship ASAP. Disappointing that AS techs didnt pick this up when they tested it and still passed the laptop to you :s8:

Where're you now studying at? Your best bet is either:

1) VIDEOTAPE the defects and email AS support. Ask for shipping coverage(ie. they pay for your shipping). Ship the laptop back to SG(if AS agree to cover which they most likely will, pick the fastest possible shipping svc and option) and ship it straight to AS HQ. They'll repair it and ship it back to you. Razer follows the above-mentioned policy but idk about AS for overseas repairs. And you'll be without a laptop for a couple weeks or more.

2) Approach other Clevo Resellers in the different regions of the world - Sager for USA, XMG for EU/Germany.

Heres a helpful link for finding Clevo resellers in the Eu:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/clevo-resellers-in-the-european-union-v1.652403/

Clevo resellers worldwide:
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/802163-clevo-custom-laptops-and-world-clevo-resellers/

Although the Apex 17 itself uses a non-clevo chassis, its very likely Clevo resellers in other parts of the world also take on this chassis and brand their laptops differently, so parts for your Apex-17 will definitely be available. Pricing however, is a question mark. If you're in the EU I'd recommend just grabbing a cheap Ryanair flight or driving down to the nearest Clevo reseller and trying your luck there. Unless AS agrees to cover the full shipping fees ofc.

Last edited:
Reaction score
if comparing current gen GPU with their pascal equivalent, 2060 definitely has the most improvement (about 40% I heard) over its predecessor, supposedly way more than how much improvement the 2080 and 2070 achieved and should be able to achieve 1080p 60 fps even when running at high settings. The older 1060 might only be able to hit that target on medium settings or on games that are very well optimised.

Funny though, this site tested two different laptops with RTX2060 and GTX1060 Notebook ones through 3DMark Fire Strike and reports the RTX2060 to have a mere 5.1% performance advantage over the GTX1060 counterpart, not even close to the assumed 40% gain. Partly due to the (incorrect reporting) of the clock speeds. RTX 2060 have 46% lower clock frequency (960MHz base, 1200MHz boost) than the GTX 1060 (1404MHz base, 1670MHz boost), but bests it in all other fields like CUDA Core Count, GDDR Ram speed and bandwidth and the additional Silicon cores installed alongside the CUDA Cores for AI adaptations and Ray Tracing purposes.

Sodalitas

Reaction score
Funny though, this site tested two different laptops with RTX2060 and GTX1060 Notebook ones through 3DMark Fire Strike and reports the RTX2060 to have a mere 5.1% performance advantage over the GTX1060 counterpart, not even close to the assumed 40% gain. Partly due to the (incorrect reporting) of the clock speeds. RTX 2060 have 46% lower clock frequency (960MHz base, 1200MHz boost) than the GTX 1060 (1404MHz base, 1670MHz boost), but bests it in all other fields like CUDA Core Count, GDDR Ram speed and bandwidth and the additional Silicon cores installed alongside the CUDA Cores for AI adaptations and Ray Tracing purposes.

I don't see how they arrive at the -5.1% performance value. Am I blind?

If we use 1060's Fire Strike Graphics score as the base, then the 2060 performs at 14300/12225 = ~1.170 times, implying +17% in performance of the 2060 over the 1060.

If we use 2060's score as the base, then the 1060 performs at 12225/14300 = 0.855 times, implying that the 1060 performs at 85.5% of a 2060, or that the 1060 performs -14.5% compared to the 2060.

Where is -5.1% coming from??

chiaRH

Reaction score
https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-2070-Max-Q-Graphics-Card.386281.0.html

can someone explain how come so many games performs better in rtx 2060 (laptop) vs rtx 2070 max Q?? is there a mistake? I've already ordered a rtx 2070 max Q gaming laptop :(

acording to notebookcheck side by side comparison of the 2 GPU

2060 clocks
960 - 1200 (Boost) MHz

2070 max Q clocks
885-1080 - 1185-1305 (Boost) MHz

the 2070 max Q has 2 sets of clock speeds as theres a low end 80W version and a higher end 90W version, this could be 1 factor

we also dont know if the max Q is more likely to run at lower clocks due to max Q heat management while 2060 runs with less restraint

Reaction score
the 2070 max Q has 2 sets of clock speeds as theres a low end 80W version and a higher end 90W version, this could be 1 factor

we also dont know if the max Q is more likely to run at lower clocks due to max Q heat management while 2060 runs with less restraint

Based on NotebookCheck, the range of speeds for RTX2070 and 2080 could probably be due to the existence of Max-Q Variants of these GPUs (RTX2070 has 1080MHz base 1305MHz boost clocks, while the Max-Q edition has 885MHz base 1185MHz boost) but RTX2060 does not have Max-Q editions for it yet. Since ALL three Notebook RTX cards (and their Max-Q counterparts) all have a 80w base TGP power draw, the actual power requirements will be variable depending on game requirements (including use of Tensor and Ray-Tracing cores which adds to the variable power requirements), something which previous generations of GeForce Notebook GPUs do not possess.

And yes, the power draw restrictions for the RTX Max-Q specs plays a factor too like ChiaRH mentioned (115w for 2070 Max-Q and 150w for 2080 Max-Q, while their regular notebook ones can go slightly over that limit when needed, which ensures the fans won't go into overdrive to exceed noise levels dictated by Nvidia in the first place), although it doesn't change the other specs these cards have (RTX 2070 Max-Q like the Notebook RTX2070, retains its 2,304 CUDA Cores and 8GB 14Gb/s GDDR6 VRAM).

https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-2070-Max-Q-Graphics-Card.386281.0.html

can someone explain how come so many games performs better in rtx 2060 (laptop) vs rtx 2070 max Q?? is there a mistake? I've already ordered a rtx 2070 max Q gaming laptop :(

There's a likelihood that some game titles are still not adept of utilizing the RTX's two other features very well, DLSS (uses Tensor AI Cores) and RTRT (uses Ray Tracing Cores) so they still depended on raw CUDA power to run the graphics side of things. As more and more upcoming titles adopt the DLSS and RTRT algorithms, the chances of these two new groups of silicon being used increases, and then we can see the real differences since both the RTX2060 and RTX2070 Max-Q will utilize these newly-added silicon while running these games. So you don't have to worry too much about performance once the RTRT and DLSS adoption becomes more widespread in the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

chiaRH

Reaction score
i just hope we can get the PB series in aftershock with the full 2070 and 2080

feels so weird going to aftershock website and under the 'extreme' category is a pair of max-q laptops

ZenZeZ

Reaction score
When you mentioned that battery is dropping despite the fact that you are charging it, are you gaming on the laptop? I am asking because I know of laptops where the bundled charger is not able to keep up with the power consumption of the laptop under load, and as a result, the laptop will get power from the wall socket and the battery at the same time.

Aftershock don't seem to state the specs of the power brick, which makes it hard to determine if it is sufficient power for the laptop configuration.

Do you reckon it might be an issue with the voltages there or some sort? No gaming is done with the laptop, it's dropping when its idle.

ZenZeZ

Reaction score
Highly suggest you talk to a AS rep via email rather than ask here as you'll most likely require hardware repairs. Get AS to agree to cover your shipping(see below) and ship ASAP. Disappointing that AS techs didnt pick this up when they tested it and still passed the laptop to you :s8:

Where're you now studying at? Your best bet is either:

1) VIDEOTAPE the defects and email AS support. Ask for shipping coverage(ie. they pay for your shipping). Ship the laptop back to SG(if AS agree to cover which they most likely will, pick the fastest possible shipping svc and option) and ship it straight to AS HQ. They'll repair it and ship it back to you. Razer follows the above-mentioned policy but idk about AS for overseas repairs. And you'll be without a laptop for a couple weeks or more.

2) Approach other Clevo Resellers in the different regions of the world - Sager for USA, XMG for EU/Germany.

Heres a helpful link for finding Clevo resellers in the Eu:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/clevo-resellers-in-the-european-union-v1.652403/

Clevo resellers worldwide:
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/802163-clevo-custom-laptops-and-world-clevo-resellers/

Although the Apex 17 itself uses a non-clevo chassis, its very likely Clevo resellers in other parts of the world also take on this chassis and brand their laptops differently, so parts for your Apex-17 will definitely be available. Pricing however, is a question mark. If you're in the EU I'd recommend just grabbing a cheap Ryanair flight or driving down to the nearest Clevo reseller and trying your luck there. Unless AS agrees to cover the full shipping fees ofc.

I believe the Apex-17 uses a different chassis, do you know if these are from clevo as well? I tried sending it for repair at one of t he repair shops, initially they thought it was a mosfet problem but the same issue occured within the next following day.

narkizy

Reaction score
is it possible to upgrade the graphics card on aftershock laptop?

No. Unless the chassis supports modular GPU, which currently none of the models sold by Aftershock offers supports.

CPU and GPU are typically soldered onto the mobo of almost all laptops with the exception of top-end desktop replacement laptops(which aftershock stopped selling)

narkizy

Reaction score
I believe the Apex-17 uses a different chassis, do you know if these are from clevo as well? I tried sending it for repair at one of t he repair shops, initially they thought it was a mosfet problem but the same issue occured within the next following day.

Hmm, you're out of luck there i guess, my assumption was wrong there. You could try your luck and ship it back to Aftershock SG(if they agree to pay for the shipping)

chiaRH

Reaction score

GPU upgrading is not possible 99% of the time even on laptops that have removable GPUs due to thermal and power changes over new generations. If you google about MSI's GPU upgrade program they once offered it for maxwell MXM laptops but then pascal came out and people realised their maxwell laptops weren't going to be able to handle the pascal cards, MSI basically over-promised on something that was beyond their control.

For CPU... well you know how you cant just keep the same motherboard forever on your desktop and just keep changing CPU? Same story for laptops. Socket changes are a thing.

Last edited:

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

In theory, yes. But in practice, no. I used to think that since the GPU is removable, I should be able to upgrade it at some point. Or that is what the marketing would like us to think. However, there are difference in the MXM slots, for example, it may supply higher amount of power to the MXM card. So older MXM slots will not be able to support newer GPUs. This is one of the issues I know because I was contemplating to upgrade an older GPU to a newer one on my Aftershock laptop, only to be advised by they that it is not possible. :o

Shawshankredempti0n

Reaction score
I'm actually waiting for Aftershock to bring in the new refreshed Clevo P751TM1.

But as someone as posted, Aftershock has been steadily increasing their price compared to other Clevo re-sellers.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.