Which electric OEM is value for money?

peipei1

Reaction score
Askin here in SSI for the more mature group feedback and no hard selling?
Do you consider the OEM firm size?
The one-time rebates?
The credit card rebates?
Waiting for the next tariff ratess?
Sticking with SP?
Does picking one even matter, difference of a few dollars?
Feedback those switched, how fast they process, any issues encountered?

blurpandasg2014

Reaction score
I choose mine based on

1) Size of company
- Senoko is largest
- Geneco is second
- Keppel and Sembcorp somewhat govt linked

2) No need for security deposit
- Sembcorp need security deposit so OUT

3) Rebates
- Most of them have rebates ranging from $20-70

Btw I chose Geneco, if u require referral code, I can pass to u. I also have seneko referral (my friend signed with them)

Mine processed within 2 weeks of application. No issues at all with the application

Last edited:

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Carbon offsets. At some point the government is introducing carbon taxes anyway, so even if you don’t care about the planet (you should) you’ll be required to care in some sense, and that’ll affect your electric bill — or not if you’ve already anticipated it. So toss that one into your list of considerations.

madtari

Master Member
Reaction score
I applied for sembcorp, paid e deposit using credit card. SP will refund me the deposit for elect so end of e day I feel it's even better. I can boost my credit card spending.

Not sure why r ppl so against paying deposit... Maybe it's bcos of bad experience with bike sharing companies? Btw EMA requires e retailers to place all deposit money into some secured deposit which companies can't use.

I choose mine based on

1) Size of company
- Senoko is largest
- Geneco is second
- Keppel and Sembcorp somewhat govt linked

2) No need for security deposit
- Sembcorp need security deposit so OUT

3) Rebates
- Most of them have rebates ranging from $20-70

Btw I chose Geneco, if u require referral code, I can pass to u. I also have seneko referral (my friend signed with them)

Mine processed within 2 weeks of application. No issues at all with the application

Last edited:

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I switched to Ohm, their Cust Service is prompt in answering queries ... on email, FB etc

micromousez

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I applied for sembcorp, paid e deposit using credit card. SP will refund me the deposit for elect so end of e day I feel it's even better. I can boost my credit card spending.

Not sure why r ppl so against paying deposit... Maybe it's bcos of bad experience with bike sharing companies? Btw EMA requires e retailers to place all deposit money into some secured deposit which companies can't use.

I against paying deposit becos the rates is quite similar among the retailer...
So given Retailer A (No deposit) vs Retailer B (Need deposit), i will choose Retailer A...

unless Retailer B rates is at least 10% lower than Retailer A, then i dont mind paying for deposit...

chiokcc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My first requirement is same billing as Sing Power to save me the hassle from another piece of billing.

As my household isn't a large electricity user, most of the plans would result in similar savings. So, I will most likely go for the easiest plan to understand and compare.

micromousez

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Askin here in SSI for the more mature group feedback and no hard selling?
Do you consider the OEM firm size?
The one-time rebates?
The credit card rebates?
Waiting for the next tariff ratess?
Sticking with SP?
Does picking one even matter, difference of a few dollars?
Feedback those switched, how fast they process, any issues encountered?

Maybe you can read the below 2 links first as a base:
1) https://blog.seedly.sg/electricity-retailer-comparison-cheapest-in-singapore/
2) https://compoundingdividendxdividend.blogspot.com/2019/01/hottest-topic-open-electricity-market.html

blurpandasg2014

Reaction score

For geneco, the security deposit on SP side will also be refunded. However, not needing to pay geneco a security deposit would mean less cash outlay on my side

haydentan

Reaction score
My first requirement is same billing as Sing Power to save me the hassle from another piece of billing.

As my household isn't a large electricity user, most of the plans would result in similar savings. So, I will most likely go for the easiest plan to understand and compare.

Ohm is the same billing with SP so no need to bother with different bills. The deposit remains.
The billing period for the electricity is one month behind. My Feb SP bill shows Jan ohm bill.

madtari

Master Member
Reaction score
Ic. For me my main consideration is rebate, low fixed price and separate billing. Was looking at ohm, Geneco n sembcorp. Ended up choosing sembcorp for $60 rebate. I could have gotten $110 if I try to stack the different promo but I don't want to risk rebate kenna voided.

I against paying deposit becos the rates is quite similar among the retailer...
So given Retailer A (No deposit) vs Retailer B (Need deposit), i will choose Retailer A...

unless Retailer B rates is at least 10% lower than Retailer A, then i dont mind paying for deposit...

newjungle

Reaction score
An article back in Jan mentioned TLF. It adds 3.4% to the bill and 4 companies are passing this cost to consumers. keppel/Sembcorp/senoko/pacific light

tangent314

Reaction score

That would be Tuas Power, which I went with for the convenience of same billing as SP. Also helps that the signup gift is pretty relevant to my actual needs.

Prof. Utonium

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
An article back in Jan mentioned TLF. It adds 3.4% to the bill and 4 companies are passing this cost to consumers. keppel/Sembcorp/senoko/pacific light

I signed up with sembcorp, recall them absorbing the TLF.

newjungle

Reaction score
Which prom is $60? Some credit card? I saw NTUC$50....but it can’t stack with others...

Ic. For me my main consideration is rebate, low fixed price and separate billing. Was looking at ohm, Geneco n sembcorp. Ended up choosing sembcorp for $60 rebate. I could have gotten $110 if I try to stack the different promo but I don't want to risk rebate kenna voided.

madtari

Master Member
Reaction score
I only applied for ntuc $50 promo. Then I setup recurring bill payment using UOB credit card. I never apply or register for UOB promo but they auto gave me $10.

Which prom is $60? Some credit card? I saw NTUC$50....but it can’t stack with others...

compro_1975

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
well, if you really talking about value for money, go for wholesale market... that is where the real play is.. cheap cheap max

archcherub

Reaction score

I also wondering between ohm and genco

madtari

Master Member
Reaction score
you should go the other main thread (EDMW/OEM part 3...) to take a look... but its hard to search back cos so many ppl spamming/requesting for code. if i'm not wrong, geneco customer service is very bad... response very slow.
I also wondering between ohm and genco

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.