Air conditioning - Any recommendations please?? - Part 2

Chuck Norris

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, need some help here as I've recently moved into a temporary rental flat. Enquired with HDB regarding aircon installation and they told me that the flat does not have the 'electrical' requirements to operate air conditioning.

They told me to engage an electrician to fix it so may I know of any cheap and reliable ones to get? Totally new into this and don't wanna get chop carrot...

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
got a quote of $3018 for Starmex MXY-3G28VA2 and 3x MSXY-FN10VE, is it okay?

what is the difference between FN07/10/13/18? BTU? cant find it in the specifications.

maxicooljason

Reaction score
FN07/10/13/18 are the different models for the FN series.
The rated capacity of each model is different.
Rated capactity can be found in the specs as kW and is converted to BTU by multiplying by 3412.124.

Example FN10 has a rated capacity of 2.8kW as per stated in specs which effectively translates to 9553.99 BTU. For ease of reference we usually just use approx 9000 BTU. The power input/running current/airflow rate/sound level etc changes with each model.

If in doubt clarify with your appointed installer. They should be in the best position to advice.

got a quote of $3018 for Starmex MXY-3G28VA2 and 3x MSXY-FN10VE, is it okay?

what is the difference between FN07/10/13/18? BTU? cant find it in the specifications.

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
FN07/10/13/18 are the different models for the FN series.
The rated capacity of each model is different.
Rated capactity can be found in the specs as kW and is converted to BTU by multiplying by 3412.124.

Example FN10 has a rated capacity of 2.8kW as per stated in specs which effectively translates to 9553.99 BTU. For ease of reference we usually just use approx 9000 BTU. The power input/running current/airflow rate/sound level etc changes with each model.

If in doubt clarify with your appointed installer. They should be in the best position to advice.

thanks. how do i calculate for the compressor if is it able to support one 12k BTU and two 9k BTU?

akdwivedi

Reaction score
My trusty sharp plasmacluster compressor broke down after some 8 years. It just stopped working with both power and timer led blinking. When I called our service guy, he said the fan units were still perfect but compressor was gone.

I am not sure if I should get it repaired or get a totally new one.

I see from forum that most recommendations are for Daikin or Mitsubhishi starmex.

I live in 3 room hdb. The guy at best told me that the smile series is overkill and just older 4 tick one will be fine. The price he quoted was some 2.1K for a system 2 (4 tick) inclusive of installation and upgrade to thicker pipes and insulation.

Is that a good deal or should I just pay another 600 and get smile series system 2.

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The price he quoted was some 2.1K for a system 2 (4 tick) inclusive of installation and upgrade to thicker pipes and insulation.

Is that a good deal or should I just pay another 600 and get smile series system 2.

$2.1k for system2? :eek:

akdwivedi

Reaction score
gain city on their website shows 2550 for daikin smile series system 2 so they are certainly cheaper than best. I think compressor (24k btu) on smile series seems to be able to support 2 x 9kbtu or even 2 x 12K btu units in both bedrooms without a hickup. in comparison mitsubhishi system 2 was offered with a 20k btu.

daikin smile series brochure says it can be operated via a mobile app so that seems to be another plus. Anyone has experience on using their mobile app.

akdwivedi

Reaction score
after little more research and some haggling I got a Starmex MXY-3G28VA2 and 1 x MSXY-FN10VE + 1 x MSXY-FN13VE plus upgraded insulation, pipe and installation all for 2650.

std 1 year warranty on everything and 5 year on compressor.

mun_hoe

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
daikin smile series brochure says it can be operated via a mobile app so that seems to be another plus. Anyone has experience on using their mobile app.

it is a smart operation app whereby needa purchase the wifi module installed onto the FCU by Daikin.

dun waste money lah

KeYoKe

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Daikin bigger btu for compressor thats why slightly more exp and yes wifi need separate purchase for daikin

mun_hoe

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Daikin bigger btu for compressor thats why slightly more exp and yes wifi need separate purchase for daikin

i also had a smile series system.....kpo kpo check price online for the wifi module + interfacing card to connect to FCU, costs about $500 for that bundle. :s22:

good nice to have fanciful feature. not a must have though :o

bhkpop

Reaction score
I'm going to install aircon system in my 5 hdb room, want to check if the pricing quoted for Daikin unit + work makes sense.

- Model: MKS65QVMG/CTKS25QVM x 03nos (900 btu - system 3) -> 3355
- Model: RKM71PVMG/FTKM71PVM (24k btu) -> 2125

Both including labour: 22 gauge copper pipe, 12.7mm thickness Armaflex insulation, 16mm PVC pipe with insulation, Sigma control cable (Singapore)

All cost to whopping 5480, thus need some advise.

Thank you guys..

BanEle

Master Member
Reaction score
I will suggest you got for 2 blowers in the living room instead of 1.

The living room and study area of 5 room pretty big. It is best to have 2 blowers to cover the area. The living room will be cooled faster too.

The configuration of the blowers should always be 1 blower in living room pair with 1-2 blowers from the bedrooms. This allow your blowers in the living room to cool the room at the max rated capacity at all times, which mean you get to enjoy maximum coldness.

If you are a person who switches on the blowers in the afternoon. You can get 2 x 18k. Otherwise you can consider 18k + 12k or 12k x 2.

I'm going to install aircon system in my 5 hdb room, want to check if the pricing quoted for Daikin unit + work makes sense.

- Model: MKS65QVMG/CTKS25QVM x 03nos (900 btu - system 3) -> 3355
- Model: RKM71PVMG/FTKM71PVM (24k btu) -> 2125

Both including labour: 22 gauge copper pipe, 12.7mm thickness Armaflex insulation, 16mm PVC pipe with insulation, Sigma control cable (Singapore)

All cost to whopping 5480, thus need some advise.

Thank you guys..

KeYoKe

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i also had a smile series system.....kpo kpo check price online for the wifi module + interfacing card to connect to FCU, costs about $500 for that bundle.
:s22:

good nice to have fanciful feature. not a must have though
:o

I am glad they put it as optional. LG one is built in for their artcool series. Friend side is having some issue with his artcool series, auto on sometimes when no one is at home

bhkpop

Reaction score
I will suggest you got for 2 blowers in the living room instead of 1.

The living room and study area of 5 room pretty big. It is best to have 2 blowers to cover the area. The living room will be cooled faster too.

The configuration of the blowers should always be 1 blower in living room pair with 1-2 blowers from the bedrooms. This allow your blowers in the living room to cool the room at the max rated capacity at all times, which mean you get to enjoy maximum coldness.

If you are a person who switches on the blowers in the afternoon. You can get 2 x 18k. Otherwise you can consider 18k + 12k or 12k x 2.

Thanks for the suggestion. Will take it for discussion with family.

Regarding the price for such setup, do you know if it was over-quoted by the contractor?

greenbanana09

Reaction score
Hi everyone, need some clarification here.

According to Daikin brochure, the outdoor unit (MKS65QVMG) has 2 qty of 9.5 diameter and 2 qty of 12.7 diameter gas connecting pipes.

So for a System 3, how is it able to have a combination capacity of 2.5+3.5+3.5 where all the 3 gas connecting pipes (CTKS25QVM/ CTKS35QVM) are of 9.5 diameter?

BanEle

Master Member
Reaction score
Most contractors provide a fair quote. Difference isn't huge. Normally I recommend you to go for your trusted Air con contractors.

If you really want some savings, try to go for those non gst register company. The 7% saving is significant.

My family and I are fans of Daikin since I grew up sleeping in room with Daikin air con. We are surely not diligent home owners who keep servicing the air con. So, great faith in their coldness and reliability.

Lastly, I spend 6k+ to have similar configuration of what I recommended.
1 MKS80, 1MKS65, 1x18k, 2x12k, 2x9k.

At the end, it is your preference and usage. Normally, you can go for 2 MKS65 since most people don't turn on living room and bedroom at the same time.

Thanks for the suggestion. Will take it for discussion with family.

Regarding the price for such setup, do you know if it was over-quoted by the contractor?

BanEle

Master Member
Reaction score
I believe your installer will downsize the pipe to the outdoor unit. No worry.

Hi everyone, need some clarification here.

According to Daikin brochure, the outdoor unit (MKS65QVMG) has 2 qty of 9.5 diameter and 2 qty of 12.7 diameter gas connecting pipes.

So for a System 3, how is it able to have a combination capacity of 2.5+3.5+3.5 where all the 3 gas connecting pipes (CTKS25QVM/ CTKS35QVM) are of 9.5 diameter?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.