Recommend me a camera

chiaRH

Reaction score
Nuff said.
PS: the new phones really have newer tech and they really squeeze a lot into the phone these days.

i just saw the new lumix TZ95 the compact travel camera and it has a sensor size the same as the first-gen google pixel, phones have really come a long way and while their recent photography improvements have plateaued due to secondary focus on adding more cameras and more software/AI gimmicks, they are actually by now quite close to compact point and shoots, just lacking proper optical zoom.

So many of the things that even high end cameras lack, like PDAF or 4k 60fps we can even get that in smartphones now

thsnco

Reaction score
Hi Byfrost, not sure if you have bought your camera. You can consider the latest Fujifilm X-T30. It maybe above your budget but you will be getting the latest mirrorless APS-C camera technology and the best video spec at that price range.

Always remember, buying an interchangeable lens camera set, the most important deciding factor (for me) is whether the system can provides you with the best selection of lenses. Fujifilm is well known for their wide selection of high quality X-mount lenes and the kit lens they provide, the XF18-55mm, is one of the best kit lens you can find in the market. Also not to forget, Fujifilm provides regular firmware updates to improve the performance of their camera.

Btw I am not a Fujifilm saleman, just a happy Fujifilm X-T3 user :) .

One of the latest review,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvM_fT9aOaE&t=546s

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
is Fujifilm APS-C same as sony APS-C?

thsnco

Reaction score

Generally APS-C is referring to the size of the sensor in the camera and different camera brands might have a slightly different dimension. The main difference is the type of sensor and the type of processor used in the camera. With the X-T30, you will be getting the latest technology from Fujifilm.

Fujifilm has been in the film industry for a very long time and they definitely know what they are doing when it comes to producing good colour or black & white photos. If you are someone who do not like to do raw photo editing, Fujifilm camera can produce one of the best JPEG photos straight out of camera with their well known film simulation.

chiaRH

Reaction score

All non-canon APSC have the 1.5 crop factor with maybe slight variance like 1.53, 1.52 etc

Canon's APSC is 1.6

Fujifilm is well known for their wide selection of high quality X-mount lenes and the kit lens they provide, the XF18-55mm, is one of the best kit lens you can find in the market.

I heard that while fuji lenses are extensive they are also almost entirely all in the premium range (XF). If you look at budget (XC) only 2 models stand out (16-50, 50-230) and with no 3rd party makers for fuji lens a newbie into the fuji ecosystem would need to really plan a higher budget (although given lenses are a long term investment it is worth it IMO to save for better glass)

Last edited:

Byfrost

Reaction score
Hi Byfrost, not sure if you have bought your camera. You can consider the latest Fujifilm X-T30. It maybe above your budget but you will be getting the latest mirrorless APS-C camera technology and the best video spec at that price range.

Always remember, buying an interchangeable lens camera set, the most important deciding factor (for me) is whether the system can provides you with the best selection of lenses. Fujifilm is well known for their wide selection of high quality X-mount lenes and the kit lens they provide, the XF18-55mm, is one of the best kit lens you can find in the market. Also not to forget, Fujifilm provides regular firmware updates to improve the performance of their camera.

Btw I am not a Fujifilm saleman, just a happy Fujifilm X-T3 user :) .

One of the latest review,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvM_fT9aOaE&t=546s

Thanks for the heads up. I saw that news a couple of days ago...

One thing that is a stopping factor to prevent me to get a Fujiflim camera is... their autofocus is slow.. I tried the X-T100 and it keeps hunting and hunting and hunting.... to the point i just tap on the screen to focus and take the shot. I am not expecting pro level or Sony A6xxx series of speed, and I do not foresee myself taking photos at sports events, but all I need is a decent response time for me to snap photos that needs a relative quick reaction time, especially for animals.

Any Fuji users here can advise? is the auto focus really that slow to the extent you have missed out a few important photos due to subject has moved away? What is the cause if the slow auto focus (Firmware issue?, Hardware issue?) Are there anyways to improve on it?

thsnco

Reaction score
I heard that while fuji lenses are extensive they are also almost entirely all in the premium range (XF). If you look at budget (XC) only 2 models stand out (16-50, 50-230) and with no 3rd party makers for fuji lens a newbie into the fuji ecosystem would need to really plan a higher budget (although given lenses are a long term investment it is worth it IMO to save for better glass)

You are right, most of the Fujifilm lenes are in the XF range but I would not call them as premium unless you are buying the red badge XF lenses like the 16-55mm f2.8, 50-140mm f2.8 and so on. As for the other XF lenes, if you compare the 56mm f1.2, 23mm f1.4 or 35mm f1.4 with other similar lenes from other brands, you will find Fujifilm pricing is still relatively cheaper. Not to mention the newer 23mm f2, 35mm f2 and 50mm f2, very reasonably priced and excellent image quality too.

As for the XC range of lenses, I owned the 50-230mm zoom lens, the image from it is pretty impressive too considering it is a budget lens.

Last edited:

Byfrost

Reaction score
I have come to a conclusion for my choices.

1) Sony A6000 is the most compact, and has one of the best auto focus speeds on the market. However, reviews mention that the Sony A6000 and some Sony A6xxx models have below average colour JPEGs. To get the most of out of your photos, post photo processing is highly recommended. Sony A6000 is the cheapest among the other choices

2) Fujiflim has the one of the nicest JPEGs around, I have personally tested and yes, no doubt I like Fuji Images the best, down side is, auto focus is slow.

3) Canon M5 is the the camera that sits in between the two. Nice JPEGs and Good Auto Focus speeds, Made in Japan, feels solid and priced around the same as X-T100

My personal choices conclusion.

a) If I want to buy a camera that sparks joy, Fujiflim. Love the design, the feel of the product. No need to worry about Full Frame or whatnot, as Fujiflim's bread and butter camera is their APS-C line, and they have no plans to enter into the Full Frame territory. I can safely invest in their lens in future without the headache of worrying about whatever Full frame issue or what not.

b) If I set my emotions aside, think logically, based on my findings, Sony A6000 is the most value for money. Small and compact, easy to carry, pretty good confidence of long term support for their APS-C line up.

c) Canon m5 is the last choice, simply because I've read that the EOS-M line is in a weird position. No one is sure if Canon is going to support this line in the long term. I'm worrying that the EOS-M line might suffer the same fate as the Nikon One line.

thsnco

Reaction score
One thing that is a stopping factor to prevent me to get a Fujiflim camera is... their autofocus is slow.. I tried the X-T100 and it keeps hunting and hunting and hunting.... to the point i just tap on the screen to focus and take the shot. I am not expecting pro level or Sony A6xxx series of speed, and I do not foresee myself taking photos at sports events, but all I need is a decent response time for me to snap photos that needs a relative quick reaction time, especially for animals.

Any Fuji users here can advise? is the auto focus really that slow to the extent you have missed out a few important photos due to subject has moved away? What is the cause if the slow auto focus (Firmware issue?, Hardware issue?) Are there anyways to improve on it?

That's why I recommended the X-T30. If you have seen the video link I posted earlier, the reviewer actually find the auto focus on the X-T30 is even better than Sony. The auto face/eye detect in the X-T30 is currently better than the X-T3 and the X-T3 is getting the firmware update this coming April to this latest focusing software. X-T3 and X-T30 are using the same processor which is different from and much more powerful than the one in X-T100 and that's why there is no announcement to upgrade this latest focusing software to the X-T100, X-T1, X-T2 or the X-H1.

chiaRH

Reaction score
That's why I recommended the X-T30. If you have seen the video link I posted earlier, the reviewer actually find the auto focus on the X-T30 is even better than Sony.

He also said he didnt have any scientific test on comparisons with sony or canon models. I would really want to see reviewers take on both X-T30 and Sony A400 since both are the respective brands new midrange models with a lot of hype on new autofocus capabilities, this year onwards might be a good turning point for brands to up their autofocus game to the next level, which will benefit all cameras.

However, reviews mention that the Sony A6000 and some Sony A6xxx models have below average colour JPEGs. To get the most of out of your photos, post photo processing is highly recommended. Sony A6000 is the cheapest among the other choices

If your measuring standard is 'smartphone', the A6000 image quality will still wipe the floor with it. In fact the camera is so old you can go to websites like:
https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/galleries/sony-a6000-sample-shots/
...and then see for yourself is the colour really 'below average' like you heard people say.

Also it's worth noting that all these colour science type of talk can be highly subjective, especially in the modern age where people are so used to vivid and saturated colours when seeing instagram on their OLED phone screens that they might look at a more natural and realistic colour and call it 'bland'

c) Canon m5 is the last choice, simply because I've read that the EOS-M line is in a weird position. No one is sure if Canon is going to support this line in the long term. I'm worrying that the EOS-M line might suffer the same fate as the Nikon One line.

It is true that EF-M is a pretty sparsely supported lens ecosystem but theres an official adapter to use EF or EF-S lenses if you really want to cling to the M5 over very long term

It is also worth nothing that none of this matters if you're not going to build up an extensive lens ecosystem anyway.

Last edited:

Byfrost

Reaction score
That's why I recommended the X-T30. If you have seen the video link I posted earlier, the reviewer actually find the auto focus on the X-T30 is even better than Sony. The auto face/eye detect in the X-T30 is currently better than the X-T3 and the X-T3 is getting the firmware update this coming April to this latest focusing software. X-T3 and X-T30 are using the same processor which is different from and much more powerful than the one in X-T100 and that's why there is no announcement to upgrade this latest focusing software to the X-T100, X-T1, X-T2 or the X-H1.

Right, Just finished watching the video, sounds promising, but, the price isn't promising, considering that it's SGD$1549 with the 15-45mm kit XC.

No idea how much discount I can get but to be honest for a new camera, probably very minimal.

Also... not to sound like a snob or what, I need to reinforce on my budget and set a cut off limit on the spending. I do not want to have this lack of discipline and go like "aiya, just top up another $200 to $300 can get something better", and this trend will never end.

At the price, I can get a Sony A7 (Full Frame, body only) at $1499 (promo price), spend a little more on a good lens, and I am good to go, (see, top up another $200 to $300 can go full frame liao, why stick to APS-C?) No doubt, the A7 is a old model that is around 4 - 5 years old, but still a solid camera based on reviews, just like the A6000.

Thanks for the recommendations though.

chiaRH

Reaction score
At the price, I can get a Sony A7 (Full Frame, body only) at $1499 (promo price), spend a little more on a good lens, and I am good to go, (see, top up another $200 to $300 can go full frame liao, why stick to APS-C?) No doubt, the A7 is a old model that is around 4 - 5 years old, but still a solid camera based on reviews, just like the A6000.

I think you need to do the further math on the lenses before you assume going full frame is only a few hundred bucks more than going APSC. The body is only the tip of the iceberg in camera shopping.

A "good lens" on any sensor format can cost as much as the body itself go to sony's site and see how many of the full frame E-mount lenses have 4-digit price. The commonly-used FE 24-105mm F4 which is not even part of the GM series has a nearly 2k SGD MSRP

Byfrost

Reaction score
I think you need to do the further math on the lenses before you assume going full frame is only a few hundred bucks more than going APSC. The body is only the tip of the iceberg in camera shopping.

A "good lens" on any sensor format can cost as much as the body itself go to sony's site and see how many of the full frame E-mount lenses have 4-digit price. The commonly-used FE 24-105mm F4 which is not even part of the GM series has a nearly 2k SGD MSRP

Yup, I know.. I'm just merely comparing basic kit to kit package for starters, to be fair. Long term lens investment is definitely a huge difference price between APS-C and Full Frame. I guess I will go for rental lens in the long run.

A Sony A7 with 28-70mm now is $1899 (Sony promo), where as the Fuji X-T30 is already $1549 (15-45mm XC) and $1899 (18-55mm XF kit) for the pre order price.

Hence, I have to really have the spending discipline to set a cut off price for my budget and not fall into the "top up a bit more to get something better endless hole" mindset. If i'm a seasoned photographer, sure, I can afford the $1.8k. But as a total beginner, I have to be discipline with my money for now.

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if you dont like sony colors you can adjust the colors in camera.

thsnco

Reaction score
Hey bro Byfrost, it's perfectly alright whether if you choose Fujifilm, Sony or Canon, the most important thing is you have to like using the camera otherwise it will just end up sitting in the dry box all the time.

In my first post I already mentioned the X-T30 will be above your budget and if the $1,000 budget is your number 1 consideration than I believe those few interchangeable lens cameras you mentioned might be the only few better choice you can get.

As quite a few members have mentioned, buying into a camera system, the camera body is only the initial investment. The quality and cost of the lenes system are the more important factor to consider. For me as an example, the number of lenses I have now can easily buy me another 2 to 3 X-T3 body. If I have gone for the Sony full frame route, I wouldn't have been able to own the number of lenes that I have now. Just sharing our experience with our camera system and hopefully it will help you in deciding which camera to buy :) .

yoyokid

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

It all depends on the kind of photography one is interested in.

It is no point to get an expensive FF body if one is not doing wide landscapes, or don't need billboard size printouts for all of one's shots.

In this regard, it is pointless to buy a FF camera and then do zooming with it. With APS-C, there's no need for such zooming, and it's so much cheaper and economical.

chiaRH

Reaction score
Yup, I know.. I'm just merely comparing basic kit to kit package for starters, to be fair. Long term lens investment is definitely a huge difference price between APS-C and Full Frame. I guess I will go for rental lens in the long run.

A Sony A7 with 28-70mm now is $1899 (Sony promo), where as the Fuji X-T30 is already $1549 (15-45mm XC) and $1899 (18-55mm XF kit) for the pre order price.

Hence, I have to really have the spending discipline to set a cut off price for my budget and not fall into the "top up a bit more to get something better endless hole" mindset. If i'm a seasoned photographer, sure, I can afford the $1.8k. But as a total beginner, I have to be discipline with my money for now.

If you want to keep talking "tight budget" and "beginner" maybe its time to consider micro four thirds, go straight down to the bottom of the food chain and start with an olympus pen or panasonic GF. They're entry level but still have interchangeable lens and still have manual controls.

You should not be talking full frame as if it were something you might actually consider if it were cheap enough because FF is unsuitable for street/travel due to the bulk

kFbPFut.jpg

if you look at this A7II it doesnt look so big compared to the A6000 beside it but the real majority of any camera's footprint lies in its lens, that's something you may not necessarily tell from display units in shop

As quite a few members have mentioned, buying into a camera system, the camera body is only the initial investment. The quality and cost of the lenes system are the more important factor to consider.

I also feel like for a beginner there is really no point to go all the way and get something like full frame

Even APSC might be overkill for someone starting out and who just needs something to serve as a trainer device to get the hang of how to operate a camera manually, especially people who are so used to smartphone style everything touchscreen type of control.

To share my personal experience from smartphone to camera, one thing that smartphone users definitely dont get to experience is how aperture and manual focus works so 1st time on camera can be daunting

In smartphone manual aperture flat out doesnt exist so in camera it really is a new world. Digital cameras have so much more depth of field than a smartphone that unwanted background blur can be a real thing that catch newbies off guard oof they always shoot wide open, like taking group photos where only those standing in front are in focus while those behind are blurred.

And manual focus on phones is a slider where if you want infinity you just drag slider to the mountain icon. On cameras its a ring on the lens that just turns and turns forever and you can overshot infinity if you turn too much then from sharp background it become blur again

Last edited:

Byfrost

Reaction score
Hey bro Byfrost, it's perfectly alright whether if you choose Fujifilm, Sony or Canon, the most important thing is you have to like using the camera otherwise it will just end up sitting in the dry box all the time.

In my first post I already mentioned the X-T30 will be above your budget and if the $1,000 budget is your number 1 consideration than I believe those few interchangeable lens cameras you mentioned might be the only few better choice you can get.

As quite a few members have mentioned, buying into a camera system, the camera body is only the initial investment. The quality and cost of the lenes system are the more important factor to consider. For me as an example, the number of lenses I have now can easily buy me another 2 to 3 X-T3 body. If I have gone for the Sony full frame route, I wouldn't have been able to own the number of lenes that I have now. Just sharing our experience with our camera system and hopefully it will help you in deciding which camera to buy :) .

Hey, bro thsnco. Thanks for the recommendation.

I just thought if exceed my budget a little bit (say, $100 to $150), that's understandable, I can probably wait a little later (few months?) so I can haggle down the price and ask for more discounts.

I agree with you, during this decision making process, I actually learned that lens investment is the long term factor that one need to consider before buying into a particular's brand system, because if one is to switch system, it's gonna be a hell costly decision to make, granted I do know there are adapters out there but you face the risk of your lens not working as intended if you use adapter. Like you said, buying the body is just the beginning.

SexyLeeAnn

Reaction score
Hey, bro thsnco. Thanks for the recommendation.

I just thought if exceed my budget a little bit (say, $100 to $150), that's understandable, I can probably wait a little later (few months?) so I can haggle down the price and ask for more discounts.

I agree with you, during this decision making process, I actually learned that lens investment is the long term factor that one need to consider before buying into a particular's brand system, because if one is to switch system, it's gonna be a hell costly decision to make, granted I do know there are adapters out there but you face the risk of your lens not working as intended if you use adapter. Like you said, buying the body is just the beginning.

Hi byfrost, the it show just ended...
Have you bought ur camera?

I watched a lot of youtube reviews...

Was considering canon m50 and the fujifilm xt100.
I want a good sensor camera with flip out lcd.

Why you not short listing xt100 anymore?
One con of this camera is the 4k 15ps.

I hope they will come out with xt200 this year though...and give us 4k 24ps...

Let me know what you think...

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.