Johor Bahru - share is caring

Status
Not open for further replies.

m/mink

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
you mean tell them u bring in to JB for repair, then now bringing back to SG ?

wat if they ask to show receipt... or any proof , then how ?

They not so cheesepies one, it's a fan, not a freaking AK47...
Unless you treat them like dog... Usually if you bother to spin a story, they will close one eye even if they suspect one la..

21Flowers

Reaction score
planning to head over to Stulang Laut waterfront explore abit, what's there arh? Any food/cafe recommendations there?

koolaid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
planning to head over to Stulang Laut waterfront explore abit, what's there arh? Any food/cafe recommendations there?

there's a club there. quite good food and drinks, price is reasonable. opened til 2am iirc. in the waterfront complex.

after drinking, we went to restoran woon duck kway chap to makan. not bad too. nearby this shop got one teochew muay shop. i think opens at 6am.

i dunno about the cafes at waterfront plaza.

driving?

21Flowers

Reaction score
there's a club there. quite good food and drinks, price is reasonable. opened til 2am iirc. in the waterfront complex.

after drinking, we went to restoran woon duck kway chap to makan. not bad too. nearby this shop got one teochew muay shop. i think opens at 6am.

i dunno about the cafes at waterfront plaza.

driving?

Thanks~! never tried kway chap in jb before, will check that out. Yup driving, anywhere else nearby worth exploring?

fake_oranges

Banned
Reaction score
Yah. I take to KSL usually

Are you referring to the taxi area that can be seen on the right from the bridge leading to JB Sentral? That's the one where they've a booth for prepayment to be made before they assign a taxi for the trip.

The last time I cab from there to Holiday Plaza, the rate was RM11/12... Convenient, though.

I used to Grab from there, near the Grab sign, but lately from City Square (Levis) as the cars seem to arrive faster. Both are fine, much easier than the both sides of JB Sentral. :)

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If not mistaken KOMTAR is under reno, so the pick up there may not be convenient.
I Grab once opposite City Square Levi's entrance ie at JB Sentral Main Entrance, pick up area. This is a good place for when I'm very early & City Square hasn't open yet.

Grabbing from this place to Taman Sentosa is RM 6, RM 12 by taxi assigned from the taxi booth.

Grabbing at Komtar, I normally go to the Grab sign nearest the overhead bridge as I try to avoid going into Marks n Spencer's when I've no intention to shop there. Yes, a couple of weeks back, I Grabbed to Komtar where the renovation made it quite difficult to see the entrances, and I was dropped off outside what looked like an office block's lobby. I then ended up walking into M&S. :s13:

koolaid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks~! never tried kway chap in jb before, will check that out. Yup driving, anywhere else nearby worth exploring?

if driving, more convenient.

for seafood, can try san low restoran. but the waiting time is a killer. the service isnt good anymore.

opp san low is a small hawker center. in the afternoon, u can try the corner stall selling rojak and ice kacang. there's also a stall there selling hor fun, char png... i sometimes ta pow from them before driving back to sg. very reasonable.

ah soon bak kut teh at taman terbrau. not bad and reasonable. the chio bu xmm is the owner's daughter. so dun pray pray, else her father will send a few flying choppers your way. my jb buddy say one. :(

7 oaks cafe. the usual hipster-insta-worthy cafe. try duck yolk croissant if they have it.

near 7 oaks is a stall selling nasi briyani. oso not bad. walk further down, is a korean bbq restaurant. oso not bad and reasonable.

if bringing your gf/fwb, there are a few nice romantic places to try too.

a lot of nice food. but dunno how long u will be there.

21Flowers

Reaction score
Cool~! I'll try the small hawker centre there sounds good.

Ah soon hahaha, yeah I tried before. Crowded yo, nowadays I head over to their other branch at bukit indah. No cute daughter but lesser people :)

7 oaks also been there but didn't try the duck yolk croissant, I'll try that if I head back~!

Arina Hashimoto

Reaction score
i really want to try out malaysia's Mixed Rice / Economical Rice / Chup Cai Png
tia gong is like Buffet Style
can ownself go take as much as you want

any GREAT Cai Png Stalls that are within walking distance from JB City Square Mall?
thanks!!

tiertime

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i wan to update on thsi YES Hong Kong Dim Sum outside of Sutera mall,

everytime i go Sutera mall i only eat the D'Shanghai, which was okay, but last visit i passed by this YES Dim Sum and decided to give it a try, the shop front looks very clean and presentable, 3 pax of us, set us back for ard SGD$7 for EACH pax

Lets just say EVERYTHING tasted Healthy, even the most basic charsiew bao... is tasteless... it even worse when they try to scrimp on the chilli sauce...

First and most DEFINATLY LAST visit to this YES, i regretted not heeding advise from one of the forummers from a few weeks ago when he said YES dim sum outside Sutera mall sucks... :vijayadmin:

This, I have tried both say yes and this, this is much much better. Say yes is much more expensive and taste is very ordinary in comparision

https://goo.gl/maps/R67mdjyLzN52

most are good, at least better than say yes

Saying YES is ordinary is already too kind ! the price is atrocious for the standard they produce !

Last edited:

beanstalk6

Reaction score
i really want to try out malaysia's Mixed Rice / Economical Rice / Chup Cai Png
tia gong is like Buffet Style
can ownself go take as much as you want

any GREAT Cai Png Stalls that are within walking distance from JB City Square Mall?
thanks!!

Not exactly mixed rice, but nasi padang at Restoran Kin Wah, Jln Trus, which is the same corner as the popular Hiap Joo Bakery. Take as much as you want of each item. The sambal quail eggs and begedil are worth the while.

razorlala

Banned
Reaction score
Not exactly mixed rice, but nasi padang at Restoran Kin Wah, Jln Trus, which is the same corner as the popular Hiap Joo Bakery. Take as much as you want of each item. The sambal quail eggs and begedil are worth the while.

Toast and coffee stall beside there also nice. Got aircon also.

beanstalk6

Reaction score
Toast and coffee stall beside there also nice. Got aircon also.

The area has moved upmarket, several cafes opening in the past 5 years, displacing the original traditional businesses. So much for preserving the culture and sights of the district.

pacetone

Reaction score

and the mee rebus was only RM3.50, those were the days.

razorlala

Banned
Reaction score
The area has moved upmarket, several cafes opening in the past 5 years, displacing the original traditional businesses. So much for preserving the culture and sights of the district.

i dont know about all those, but from what i see, the kin wah that you mentioned are mostly patronized by middle aged ppl. with quite unappealing seatings/environments, and with almost no variety of food.

the "toast and coffee" stall next to kin wah has a wide array of menu n alot of them are good.
its good that they are keeping up with the times, and also at the same time preserving the culture, appealing to ppl of diff ages

i honestly do not see a point in preserving a culture that is already dead.

Last edited:

x3dnd3x

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I see alot of people actually dabao bread home. Is it really cheaper than SG? I never really go into bakeries in JB.

KingOfSbw

Master Member
Reaction score
I see alot of people actually dabao bread home. Is it really cheaper than SG? I never really go into bakeries in JB.
Cheaper of course but most believe its nicer there somehow.......

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT

Zubuto

Reaction score

Generally yes. I find they taste better. But if you want to compare just based on price, maybe some of those neighbourhood bakeries might be cheaper but don't taste as good. Many folks will generally buy at Seasons or Lavendar at City Sq before they head home.

Recently I discovered SDS (another bakery chain) at Kota Raya a short walk from City Sq. Their cheese tarts are heavenly and cost abt S$0.82 per piece. Can't find good cheese tarts at this price in Sgp.

beanstalk6

Reaction score
i dont know about all those, but from what i see, the kin wah that you mentioned are mostly patronized by middle aged ppl. with quite unappealing seatings/environments, and with almost no variety of food.

the "toast and coffee" stall next to kin wah has a wide array of menu n alot of them are good.
its good that they are keeping up with the times, and also at the same time preserving the culture, appealing to ppl of diff ages

i honestly do not see a point in preserving a culture that is already dead.

I wouldn't visit the place if it were just another Austin Heights or Bukit Indah, with the up-to-date 7-11, cafes and pubs. I visit the area because there are still dhobies, tailors, sundry shops and eateries doing things they have been doing for ages. When the last of these goes away, the charm of the place is indeed gone.
Much of the charm is with having locals, be they middle-aged, patronising the businesses, served food at very economical prices because of the low-cost (unappealing) seatings/environments. I'm not keen if this is supplanted by another Old Town or the like such that the locals shy away.

koolaid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Generally yes. I find they taste better. But if you want to compare just based on price, maybe some of those neighbourhood bakeries might be cheaper but don't taste as good. Many folks will generally buy at Seasons or Lavendar at City Sq before they head home.

Recently I discovered SDS (another bakery chain) at Kota Raya a short walk from City Sq. Their cheese tarts are heavenly and cost abt S$0.82 per piece. Can't find good cheese tarts at this price in Sgp.

damn cheese tarts... reminds me of my last trip to melaka in late jan... was at a kopi tiam near bt cina having breakfast... there was a girl walking around with a tray selling a few type of cheese tarts for rm5 per pack of 2. so i both 4 packs - regular cheese and strawbererry. damn nice, should have bought more! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.