Lastest S$ Deposit updates - Part 3

lzydata

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It seems ICBC deposit rates page is blank and I am not getting OTP from ICBC mobile banking. This seems like a 3rd world country bank. It took 2 hrs for them to open my account and their internet banking not reliable.

"NIL." Maybe they decided not to take SGD fixed deposits anymore :s11:

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
"NIL." Maybe they decided not to take SGD fixed deposits anymore :s11:

I realized, my mobile sms authentication was disabled. I was able to place FD after coming home in the evening, using the token. I chose the step up 1 yr max 2.1% effective 1.95% FD.

I dont know why the website says NIL, but online banking has the FDs. Maybe they are making some updates but there was a bug while publishing.

xiaonajia

Reaction score
It seems ICBC deposit rates page is blank and I am not getting OTP from ICBC mobile banking. This seems like a 3rd world country bank. It took 2 hrs for them to open my account and their internet banking not reliable.

Its really third world ibanking...you have to use internet explorer and install some certs. But you won't be using it much after placing ur step up. I was able to place it immediately and otp is working... Did you enter your number correctly?

dragonics

Reaction score

Wanted to do a USD fixed deposit in one branch. But was told when FD matured, they cant issue a USD cheque! I was stunned for a min. CSO told me nees go raffles to get the cheque.. And i left. Cant believe they make customer so inconvenient

yongsaver

Reaction score
Sept 2018:
You said "perpetual" bond?
And just pay 3.98% p.a.?
Have you look at how much hair-cut or losses you will incur if you need to sell in open market? :o

Well, you could say that you don't want to sell, but there will always be time when you want or need to sell, like need money to do other things or invest in another much higher yielding assets perhaps?

Feb 2019:
Sold all my 3 bonds. Made about 3% in 5 months (coupons and cap gains). If put in FD lesser than 0.83% in 5 months (assume 2% p.a.)..

Now camping in Maybank isavvy waiting for the next kill...:D

Squaredot

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sept 2018:

Feb 2019:
Sold all my 3 bonds. Made about 3% in 5 months (coupons and cap gains). If put in FD lesser than 0.83% in 5 months (assume 2% p.a.)..

why u sell??

Reaction score
Its really third world ibanking...you have to use internet explorer and install some certs. But you won't be using it much after placing ur step up. I was able to place it immediately and otp is working... Did you enter your number correctly?

Ok if is not going to be worst than BOC (the only bank i called in to cs to setup ibanking), i'll may probably join the queue and place some. not really looking towards it.

yongsaver

Reaction score
why u sell??

there are more bonds in the pipeline, lock in gains first.

these days,...there are more companies issuing bonds than getting listed (IPO).

the caveat is must know how to differentiate good apples from bad ones...:s13:

qhong61

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Hyflux.....

anytime

Reaction score
Can share more on how to buy bond with low fee? Must get min of $250k per transaction?

Sept 2018:

Feb 2019:

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I dont get the OTP at all. I have registered my number correctly. I am able to do it using the token so it is okay.

yongsaver

Reaction score
Can share more on how to buy bond with low fee? Must get min of $250k per transaction?

bro...u may want to refer to bondsupermart for more info on the process...a good place to start..its literally a supermart of bonds.

neanea

Master Member
Reaction score
How to know what bonds are in the pipeline?

churnmaster

Reaction score
I realized, my mobile sms authentication was disabled. I was able to place FD after coming home in the evening, using the token. I chose the step up 1 yr max 2.1% effective 1.95% FD.

I dont know why the website says NIL, but online banking has the FDs. Maybe they are making some updates but there was a bug while publishing.

The Singapore Savings Bond (SSB) also pays you similar returns and has a step up interest rate every year. The flexibility to withdraw the amount anytime without any penalty and the added safety of a sovereign bond makes it a better choice, I guess.

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The Singapore Savings Bond (SSB) also pays you similar returns and has a step up interest rate every year. The flexibility to withdraw the amount anytime without any penalty and the added safety of a sovereign bond makes it a better choice, I guess.

I agree. It is just that the allocation is not guaranteed and in order to deploy like 140k it will take quite a few months. I also need to go and apply for CDP.

Edit: I just realized, CDP account can be opened online as well! So I just submitted the application online. Thanks for prompting!

Last edited:

K202020K

Master Member
Reaction score
But must pump your money in the 3 local banks first and wait for the allocation outcome. Super lay zeh yo..

K202020K

Master Member
Reaction score
But must pump your money in the 3 local banks first and wait for the allocation outcome. Super lay zeh yo..

Why cannot be allocate first, know the exact sum, then pay up within a certain time frame ? Super inefficient way of doing things .... especially in a productivity conscious nation like SG.

Sometimes I wonder what our civil servants eat for their meals .... yet are overpaid and draining the country's limited resources.

:(

:(

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.