Does external soundcard improve audio quality?

lampPC

Master Member
Reaction score

I have a pair of speakers and subswoofer connected to the PC. The sound is not as good as expected.

Does add a USB sound card help?

Currently it is using Realtek audio. Not willing to change PC because it is a AIO with 4K touchscreen.

harharhar

Reaction score

I have a pair of speakers and subswoofer connected to the PC. The sound is not as good as expected.

Currently it is using Realtek audio. Not willing to change PC because it is a AIO with 4K touchscreen.

What is your current speakers? I think the speakers is more important than the soundcard.

GBC

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Cheap sound chip will get you so so sound. If you want better sound, should invest in a better external DAC and connect your speakers to it. Another alternative is to get active speakers with built in DAC.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Depend on your ears and speaker quality.

Ferolare

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
a usb dac may bring some "life" into your system - still dependent on what you're using now though

Last edited:

mun_hoe

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
first level get a good decent 2.1 speaker set. not satisfied then dabble with dedicated soundcard / DAC

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes but also depend on your speaker.
Cards like Creative X-fi surround does improve SQ.

5star_pundit

Banned
Reaction score
My 2.0 edifier setup

PC --> optical cable --> edifier S1000db --> HD600

3LJrn2Y.jpg

Processor
AMD Ryzen 1700X | EK-Supremacy EVO
Mainboard
MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic
Graphics Card
MSI GTX1080 Gaming X | EK-FC1080 GTX TF6
Memory
Adata XPG Spectrix D40 2400mhz 2x8gb
Display
Acer XB271HU
Storage
WD Black NVMe 512Gb SSD
Casing
Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900
PSU
Enermax Platimax DF Platinum 1200w
Audio
Edifier S1000db | Sound Blasterx AE-5 | Sennheiser HD600
OS
Windows 10​

tsteo77

Reaction score

I used to have sound quality issue on my pc, after using wall sockets instead of trail sockets, sound quality improve, it sound better than all in one hifi.

msaz

Reaction score
using same motherboard, sound is as “soft “ as TS deacribed. need to increase to 50-60 out of 100 to hear youtube videos clearly ( those commentary type)
bought a cheap $5-7 usb sound dongle from sim lim, need only to turn up volume around 20-25 to achieve same loudness and clearness
If TS not those audiophile type the cheap usb solution might be for TS

Last edited:

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I using swans too but the bass weakened after 6 years. you need to get subwoofers

lampPC

Master Member
Reaction score
using same motherboard, sound is as “soft “ as TS deacribed. need to increase to 50-60 out of 100 to hear youtube videos clearly ( those commentary type)
bought a cheap $5-7 usb sound dongle from sim lim, need only to turn up volume around 20-25 to achieve same loudness and clearness
If TS not those audiophile type the cheap usb solution might be for TS

What about those Creative Sound Blaster Omni Surround 5.1 USB. I see some of them. Main purpose is still to improve sound clarity for YouTube videos

Godeau

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What about those Creative Sound Blaster Omni Surround 5.1 USB. I see some of them. Main purpose is still to improve sound clarity for YouTube videos

Try manually tweaking your onboard soundcard software equalizer and increase dB for frequency bands 1.5k and above. Should help a little.

If that doesn't work, you can probably buy a dac like the xonar u7/mkii for a decent price and turn on Dolby home theatre, then create a custom profile that turns on dialogue enhancer levels for your youtube/movies.

shiroyuki03

Reaction score
using an external sound card does really improve the sound effect in terms of bass more punchy, and tuning surround sound. previously used onboard, the sound sounded crappy, lack the punch of bass and not much surround. after investing in xfi titanium, it has improved way much!

lampPC

Master Member
Reaction score
using an external sound card does really improve the sound effect in terms of bass more punchy, and tuning surround sound. previously used onboard, the sound sounded crappy, lack the punch of bass and not much surround. after investing in xfi titanium, it has improved way much!

Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro or
Sound Blaster Ommi Surround 5.1

Which one is better?

shiroyuki03

Reaction score
Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro or
Sound Blaster Ommi Surround 5.1

Which one is better?

it would depend on your usage. for gaming, go for SB X-Fi Surround. For Entertainment/movie, SB Omni Surround.

Mine isnt usb. mine uses pcie.

Elysium87

Reaction score
im using logitech z906 already which i find the speaker very good, no point getting a sound card right for my pc?

shiroyuki03

Reaction score
im using logitech z906 already which i find the speaker very good, no point getting a sound card right for my pc?

i believe by investing a proper soundcard compared to the onboard. it will make a significant improvement! it might actually enhance your z906 even more. i wanted to get that too but no space. hence i got katana. but also got dedicated t6160.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.