The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi, like to seek some opinion. I just made a pair of new specs. Frame $350. Progressive (level 2) & transistion & blue light. Zesis lens. Total $1250. My degrees for both eyes less than 250. Is this price ok ?

Based on RRP(lens)(your lens is probably discounted), and possibly that frame is already discounted, the price you got is fine!

lampPC

Master Member
Reaction score
No. There shouldnt be anything lighter than that from my knowledge.

Apart from the material, the next factor to consider is the degree of your eye which will affect the weight.

Lindberg spirit/Air titanium also wont be able to match the weight of the frame.(as light as they are)

There are pros and cons of swissflex compared to other frames but to answer your qns, once again, Not that i know off at this point of time.(swissflex lightest)

Thank you for the advise. Is there any lense you recommend for digital eye strain?

Essilor Eyezen+
HOYA SYNC
Shamir Relax
ZEISS Digital

Ps. Can pm address of your shop also

popdod

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
Just get the Crizal progressive lens with sapphire coating for my deg 700
Lens 1.67index + blue filter $1030.

Before that using Zeiss digital lens
But over the 2yrs +. My Laohua getting worse.
:(

Last edited:

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Just get the Crizal progressive lens with sapphire coating for my deg 700
Lens 1.67index + blue filter $1030.

Before that using Zeiss digital lens
But over the 2yrs +. My Laohua getting worse.
:(

Nice, you are confirm using the essilor X-series lenses. Really good lens with wide viewing area..

popdod

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
Nice, you are confirm using the essilor X-series lenses. Really good lens with wide viewing area..

This is my first time using Essilor.
Was comparing Zeiss , Crizal & Nikon.

Zeiss & Nikon around $12xx+

And I need to make 2 sets.
So try Crizal.

That’s another brand. Forgotten the name.
From Israel. But quite ex.

Just for discussion sake.
Branded progessive vs non branded progressive.
In terms of coating & durability.

I assumed branded is a little bit better??
Since they spend so much on R&D??

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score

So try Crizal.

The Israel brand is probably Shamir, And if it is the better series, probably Shamir Autograph lll/(3)

R&D is one... but another big factor is publicity. So advertising and all, cost will be included likely.:D

popdod

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
The Israel brand is probably Shamir, And if it is the better series, probably Shamir Autograph lll/(3)

R&D is one... but another big factor is publicity. So advertising and all, cost will be included likely.:D

Ohhh yesss. Is the name autograph.
I thought is quite unknown.

But was told quality as good.
Abit unsure. So never take up the suggestion. :(

DouBleB

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just got a quote for a pair of specs zeiss fsv as 1.6 UVProtect duravision bluepritect UV and silhouette frame at $460. Is this reasonable price ?

My Guess the frame is $300 usual is $498
Lens $160

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Ohhh yesss. Is the name autograph.
I thought is quite unknown.

But was told quality as good.
Abit unsure. So never take up the suggestion. :(

That's fine. However their new lens which is the Autograph Intelligence is actually pretty close to the Mystyle Hoya(best) lens in terms of Clarity and peripheral distortion.

But your X-series is already one of the better ones out there.

Reaction score

So try Crizal.

"Branded progessive vs non branded progressive.

Since they spend so much on R&D??"

Have to depend on which lab is making it. There's a lab in Singapore that produce even better Progressive lenses at a more affordable price point. So far, we've successfully fitted lots of x-series, mystyle dropouts.

Branded stuff are usually priced higher due to their advertising efforts. They advertise, consumers pay. :s13: Doesn't mean their products are any much better :)

Just look around for Mvision 4k Premium Progressive lenses, if your X-series, mystyle fails to live up to expectation. :D

DouBleB

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just got a quote for a pair of specs zeiss fsv as 1.6 UVProtect duravision bluepritect UV and silhouette frame at $460. Is this reasonable price ?

My Guess the frame is $300 usual is $498
Lens $160

Can someone advise me ?

nethdale

Reaction score
"Branded progessive vs non branded progressive.

Since they spend so much on R&D??"

Have to depend on which lab is making it. There's a lab in Singapore that produce even better Progressive lenses at a more affordable price point. So far, we've successfully fitted lots of x-series, mystyle dropouts.

Branded stuff are usually priced higher due to their advertising efforts. They advertise, consumers pay. :s13: Doesn't mean their products are any much better :)

Just look around for Mvision 4k Premium Progressive lenses, if your X-series, mystyle fails to live up to expectation. :D

Hi, is there an opportunity for consumers like me to get access to the lab that produces premium quality progressive lens at an affordable price mentioned by you? Or I need to commission my glasses at your optical shop to enjoy this? Thanks.

Reaction score
Hi, is there an opportunity for consumers like me to get access to the lab that produces premium quality progressive lens at an affordable price mentioned by you? Or I need to commission my glasses at your optical shop to enjoy this? Thanks.

Hi bro,

Labs usually deal with optical shops direct.
You can visit any shops that sell Mvision Premium lenses. :)

rerear

Reaction score
Interested in making progressives. Previously made one but because of my high short sightedness the thickness came out pretty thick. Understand is just physics, if want thin metallic frame it is going to look like this. Got any alternatives, or really need to go even higher index which is gonna cost more?

Reaction score
Interested in making progressives. Previously made one but because of my high short sightedness the thickness came out pretty thick. Understand is just physics, if want thin metallic frame it is going to look like this. Got any alternatives, or really need to go even higher index which is gonna cost more?

Hi bro,

if you want the lenses to be thinner, can go for Lenticular lenses.

Its a special surfacing technique to bring the thickness down, especially for super high degree. Just ask around, some optical stores are able to do this for you.

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score

Yep, lenticular lens is one option but not without its downsides. (e.g it hides the side thickness but your appearance from front will appear abit weird which is why not very popular also)
If not, pick a smaller frame (usually plastic as it can hide abit more of thickness) with 1.74 index lens. (generally the more preferred and available option)
However, i think lenticular not available for progressives and its mainly for single vision.
I am not 100% sure of this as technology might have improved or i might just be unaware of it.

Reaction score
Yep, lenticular lens is one option but not without its downsides. (e.g it hides the side thickness but your appearance from front will appear abit weird which is why not very popular also)
If not, pick a smaller frame (usually plastic as it can hide abit more of thickness) with 1.74 index lens. (generally the more preferred and available option)
However, i think lenticular not available for progressives and its mainly for single vision.
I am not 100% sure of this as technology might have improved or i might just be unaware of it.

Yup, small plastic frames are recommended when using lenticular lenses for best effect. Lenticular lenses are still available with progressives. We'l normally recommend to those with super high prescription (usually >-10.00D). :s13:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.