AMD Ryzen NB Discussion| Lenovo Thinkpad E495/E595/T495/X395 Well-rounder performance CPU + GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyway, I just wanted to check what is the idle and load temps that people are getting on this laptop with a Ryzen 5 please? I wanted to do a comparison before and after, but now I don't remember how hot it used to run. :s13:

I've not reapply the thermal compound again, but I did noticed that the temps run high as a result of initial high CPU usage. I did noticed that the clockspeed seems to hold above 2.2 Ghz in most cases, 200Mhz higher than the base clock, with short boost to over 3Ghz.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What thermal paste did you apply?

I used Thermal Grizzly Kyronaut.

Anyway, I opened the laptop up again to check. Tighten the screws more to improve the contact. I can feel that the heatpipes heat up really quick throughout including the heatsink, so I think the contact is good. Problem I believe is with the fan profile. The fan only seems to kick in when the laptop hits about 62 to 65 degs, otherwise, it is not spinning at all. Also I noticed slight coil whine, which I initially thought was due to the fan. But I observed the fan was not spinning and the slight humming sound is not coming from the fan.

Last edited:

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Today I opened up my laptop and to install a hard drive and decided to apply some after market thermal compound to see if it will help bring down the heat. Taking the heatsink off is very easy, just loosen the 4 screws holding the heatsink to the processor, and a light pull and the entire heatsink and fan will pop out. Just be careful of the fan power cable because they look very thin and flimsy. Anyway, I think I may not have installed the heatsink back well cause seems to be getting very hot. Like at idle, its 60+ degs, and easily hit 80 degs. Haha. Not sure why the CPU seems to be working very hard. Anyway, more work to do before I update again.

If temp not improving, suggest try another thermal compound like Noctua.
Can get from SLS.
Tip to secure back the heat stink correctly.
You have to secure the screws diagonally.
This is to ensure proper pressure so the heat sink is secure to the CPU.
Meaning top right to lower left and etc.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tip to secure back the heat stink correctly.
You have to secure the screws diagonally.
This is to ensure proper pressure so the heat sink is secure to the CPU.
Meaning top right to lower left and etc.

Yes, I did this. Thermal compound wise, I believe the Thermal Grizzly is one of the best out there other than liquid metal. It worked well with my graphic card, so I thought might as well use it on the laptop.

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Many factors can cause wild fluctuations. Thermal profiles can be finicky. On my Dell, if I wake it up on battery, it will sometimes throttle itself to a certain frequency (e.g. 1.89 of 3.46GHz).

Plugging in and out the charger will cause it to "remember" that it can turbo and now it turbos all the way even on battery. Results in higher temps too.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I cannot really ascertain whether it's poor contact here. The temps can swing from 45 to 80 degs all of a sudden. In this case, the entire heatpipe and heatsink is very hot. So I don't really think its a contact issue. But I will revalidate it by removing and reapplying a fresh new coat of thermal compound later this week.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyway before I start tearing it apart again, anyone can share their idle and load temps please? I tested mine in a non-airconditioned room. Temp as per probe is about 29 degs. For mine, it idles at 45 minimal and loads to about 80 to 82 degs.

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually, measuring idle temps might not be the best yardstick.

Most modern laptops will put the fan into fully passive mode and fan spin can be triggered anywhere from high 40s to around 60c depending on the motherboard. So you can get possibly higher idles on a better paste and lower idles on a poorer paste (while the reverse is likely true under load)

So temperatures at the same load will be ideal. At the same time, thermal grizzly's viscosity changes at 'out of tube' and steady state after thermal cycling. It'll "dry" noticeably and that's expected behaviour, overapply is a must.

I do recall Roman Hartung (der8auer) who's basically thermal grizzly saying somewhere the paste longevity shortens at the high 70s. In contrast for notebooks, I'd lean towards moderate or high viscosity pastes like NTH1/NTH2 and Gelid. High viscosity ones tend to work better with low mounting pressure (i.e. laptops)

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually, measuring idle temps might not be the best yardstick.

Most modern laptops will put the fan into fully passive mode and fan spin can be triggered anywhere from high 40s to around 60c depending on the motherboard. So you can get possibly higher idles on a better paste and lower idles on a poorer paste (while the reverse is likely true under load)

So temperatures at the same load will be ideal. At the same time, thermal grizzly's viscosity changes at 'out of tube' and steady state after thermal cycling. It'll "dry" noticeably and that's expected behaviour, overapply is a must.

I do recall Roman Hartung (der8auer) who's basically thermal grizzly saying somewhere the paste longevity shortens at the high 70s. In contrast for notebooks, I'd lean towards moderate or high viscosity pastes like NTH1/NTH2 and Gelid. High viscosity ones tend to work better with low mounting pressure (i.e. laptops)

Yeah, I did figure that it will be difficult to gauge since it is not going to be an apple to apple compare.

As for the overapplying, point noted. I wasn't aware, and applied a thin layer on it as what I used to do with Arctic MX4.

kangdi

Reaction score
Anyway before I start tearing it apart again, anyone can share their idle and load temps please? I tested mine in a non-airconditioned room. Temp as per probe is about 29 degs. For mine, it idles at 45 minimal and loads to about 80 to 82 degs.

Ryzen 5 in a E585

Non air con room

Idle 45, load 84

On stock thermal paste from factory

saddams wife

Reaction score
Intel AC 9260 Down - 300mbps Up - 600mbps in recent tests on my E585. Anybody else experiencing such disparity btw up vs down?

frizee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Strange their public price and Edu price starts at $660 for E585?

Thought Edu should be cheaper?

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Intel AC 9260 Down - 300mbps Up - 600mbps in recent tests on my E585. Anybody else experiencing such disparity btw up vs down?

What was the down and upload speed generally? As Shib mentioned, it could be due to ISP/peak hour speed. Otherwise, I can only think of the antenna as the other reason.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

To update after using it for a few days post the application of the Thermal Grizzly, temps seems to peak at 76 degs (room temp is 29 degs). This is when I am gaming on it, so I think the results are really good. I believe there is no need for curing with Thermal Grizzly, but it is good to see some very good improvement in thermals. Anyway, I did not reapply the Thermal Grizzly although I was planning to previously.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Normal, throttling on ISP side not on router or laptop.
My Dell laptop about the same on Starhub.

saddams wife

Reaction score
Anyway that AC9260 is still a shitty card
Should have bought a Qualcomm Atheros Card
AP is TP-Link Archer C7 v4
Link Rate 866Mbps

Intel AC7265
jj1jY1v.png

Intel AC9260
XUuWfl8.png

Hi Bro. Can I confirm that the maximum link rate of AC9260 is 866Mbps (regardless of how high tech the router is)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.