Android TV Box

Pengsp

Reaction score
1 Try key in ip address manually in the box, 2 reset the box to factory (all installed app will be gone,)

"I am using an MT N1 4k. Previously was fine when connected to wifi. But after i upgraded from cable to fiber, the MT N1 cannot connect to the new router. Any suggestions? (after enter password, stays at connecting... Forever) Thanks!"

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes in principle it should work.

But I do not use Starhub Go myself and all my four generic boxes are rooted. So I will not be able to test. Hopefully someone can tell you.

BTW, I think this is a very niche use case so probably you may not even get an answer here.

Just tried to install different apps on my rooted H96 Max Plus RK3328 based generic box (4GB/64GB version) running mobile phone version of Android 7.1. This box is not that recommended due to the fact that there are better boxes out there now running S905X2 at similar price.

SingTel TV Go can be installed but immediately quit saying the box is rooted.

Starhub Go can be installed and seems to work fine but I do not have the account to log in so can not really test. Edit: tested with Hub ID and the free content seems to work fine.

Viu can be used but totally not usable.

Toggle can be installed and seems to run fine even though it is warning about potential incompatibility.

TVB Anywhere SG can be installed as well and seems to work but I do not have account to try out.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just tried to install different apps on my rooted H96 Max Plus RK3328 based box (4GB/64GB version) running mobile phone version of Android 7.1.

SingTel TV Go can be installed but immediately quit saying the box is rooted.

Starhub Go can be installed and seems to work fine but I do not have the account to log in so can not really test.

Viu can be used but totally not usable.

Toggle can be installed and seems to run fine even though it is warning about potential incompatibility.

TVB Anywhere SG can be installed as well and seems to work but I do not have account to try out.

Somewhat the same for the other H96 Pro Plus Amlogic S912 based 3GB/32GB generic box running Android 7.1, except Viu and TVB Anywhere SG. The box is rooted. Out of my 4 generic boxes this is the best. Still it is not recommended because you can buy Mi Box S at similar price. Or you can buy S905X2 based newer boxes, or better brand S912 boxes like Tanix TX92.

SingTel TV Go -- exit immediately

Starhub Go -- seems to work but not able to test. Edit: tested with Hub ID and free content seems to work.

Toggle -- working fine

Viu -- seems to work fine.

TVB Anywhere SG -- not able to install, saying not compatible

Last edited:

Vin001

Reaction score
Somewhat the same for the other H96 Pro Plus Amlogic S912 based 3GB/32GB box running Android 7.1, except Viu and TVB Anywhere SG.

Starhub Go -- seems to work but not able to test
Toggle -- working fine

Thanks for the evaluation. This gives Starhub Go app users like myself some hope that there is a Android box out there that can support that app.

Two reasons why I still rather use the Android box option instead of just leasing a second Starhub Set top box for my 2nd TV or using Google Cast on my Sony smart TV.

1) The starhub Set top box required a dedicated Ethernet connection for TV signal, hence need to install a Ethernet switch at my modem port #1. Cannot share the Ethernet from my other "regular" Ethernet points near that TV location. Not an issue if I use an Android Box with Ethernet connection.

2) Google Cast requires a couple of steps before I could view on the TV screen. For unknown reasons, 1 out of 3 attempts resulted in only a small screen appearing on my TV instead of full screen. Had to stop the cast and re-do the steps, sometimes a few times before succeeding. (Using Wifi for my handphone and only Ethernet for my TV, both on the same Fibre network)

By the way, you mentioned H96 Pro Plus and H96 Max, are these the actual model names of the Android box itself or referring to the generic types?

Thanks.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the evaluation. This gives Starhub Go app users like myself some hope that there is a Android box out there that can support that app.

Two reasons why I still rather use the Android box option instead of just leasing a second Starhub Set top box for my 2nd TV or using Google Cast on my Sony smart TV.

By the way, you mentioned H96 Pro Plus and H96 Max, are these the actual model names of the Android box itself or referring to the generic types?

Thanks.

You have one more option, to buy the Starhub Go Streaming Box but then it is probably not cost effective.

http://www.starhub.com/personal/for-your-home/tv/starhub-go-streaming-box.html

As for the H96 Pro Plus or H96 Max Plus, they are generic model name from unknown vendors. Just between the two, H96 Pro Plus S912 is much better with faster 5GHz wifi and gigabit Ethernet and faster CPU/GPU. More established vendors like Beelink or Tanix offer better quality boxes. The cost is actually not much higher than generic boxes in the local online market place like Lazada.

Tanix TX5 Max -- S905X2 (seems not yet available in local online market place).

Tanix TX92 S912 box, around S$80-90

Tanix TX3 Max, low end S905W based boxes, about S$40-50 for 2GB/16GB version

Beelink GT1 Mini S905X2 Box, about S$80-90 for the 4GB/32GB model and slightly higher for the 4GB/64GB model

Beelink GT1 Ultimate S912 Box, about S$90-100 for the 3GB/32GB model

All the above boxes should be fine for streaming purpose, just I can not confirm whether they can run Starhub Go or not. They all run mobile version of Android. And it seems to me that Starhub Go should work fine with boxes running Mobile version of Android, even rooted box, but I can not test.

Last edited:

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

2) Google Cast requires a couple of steps before I could view on the TV screen. For unknown reasons, 1 out of 3 attempts resulted in only a small screen appearing on my TV instead of full screen. Had to stop the cast and re-do the steps, sometimes a few times before succeeding. (Using Wifi for my handphone and only Ethernet for my TV, both on the same Fibre network)

Thanks.

what is the model no of your sony smart tv?

you mentioned in previous post that you don't have android tv, how did you do your google cast?

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sony X75F. Bought one last week as my 2nd TV.

https://www.sony.com.sg/electronics/support/articles/00135368

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/7438776?hl=en-AU

Can you try the troubleshooting suggestions from above two links (Sony and Google)?

I am not into smart TV myself. I feel they are not really worth it as the TV can last long (say 6-10 years) but the HW /FW components (eg CPU, OS version) in the smart TV OS sub system will get outdated soon, say in three years.

On the other hand the new better video quality TVs will come with smart functions and Android TV OS is at least smarter than Samsung Tizen and LG Web OS.

So in the end it is hard to get a decent non-smart TV now. My TV is a low cost 40 inch Akira dumb TV, FHD 1080p only, but we seldom watch TV in the family. I use a FHD Dell monitor with my Android TV boxes and use them only occasionally. All the family members use mobile phones and iPads much more often.

Last edited:

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Somewhat the same for the other H96 Pro Plus Amlogic S912 based 3GB/32GB box running Android 7.1, except Viu and TVB Anywhere SG.

Starhub Go -- seems to work but not able to test
Toggle -- working fine

If you have Starhub Hub ID (or sign up) then login to watch "Go Local Watch Free" channels and may have others as well.
No subscription required for those watch free channels.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

1) The starhub Set top box required a dedicated Ethernet connection for TV signal, hence need to install a Ethernet switch at my modem port #1. Cannot share the Ethernet from my other "regular" Ethernet points near that TV location. Not an issue if I use an Android Box with Ethernet connection.

Thanks.

Doubt you can watch via Android (TV) box as Starhub Go App may have no license or requirement on these devices and those rooted as well.

1) Starhub has this > Ethernet Over Coaxial Converter (EOCC) for Fibre TV
That's if your premise has cable coaxial points in the designated locations.

2) Although Starhub Streaming box is an Android TV box (OEM) and do have Chromecast with all these Google features & functions available to use.
But there is limited channels available on this box as all channels listed > Here!
Also you may not be able to watch your Starhub TV subscribed channels (not listed in the above listing) via Streaming box using Starhub Go App.
But able to watch via Chromecast with Starhub Go App within.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Doubt you can watch via Android (TV) box as Starhub Go App may have no license or requirement on these devices and those rooted as well.

But able to watch via Chromecast with Starhub Go App within.

android tv has built in chromecast receiver, so we can view starhubgo contents on android tv via chromecast.

but has to make sure that you are using chromecast, not mirroring or miracast when doing this.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you have Starhub Hub ID (or sign up) then login to watch "Go Local Watch Free" channels and may have others as well.

Thanks for the tip. I have not used my hub id for a long time, need to dig it out again and then try out. I am still a Starhub Fibre Broadband user.

Vin001

Reaction score

1) Starhub has this > Ethernet Over Coaxial Converter (EOCC) for Fibre TV
That's if your premise has cable coaxial points in the designated locations.

Yeah, confirm cannot run the Starhub Go App on my Sony Android TV. When I spoke to Starhub Technical helpdesk 2 weeks back, they said can!! They need to be updated on this.

Thanks for the suggestion but during my renovation of the study room where my 2nd TV is located, I have wired two Ethernet cables into that room from the Ethernet distribution box. The issue is that I need to split the Starhub "TV" signal from my Starhub modem port #1 using a Ethernet Switch. Means I will need to buy the switch. The switch will send one signal to my Set top box in living room and the other to the future Set top box in my study room. I cannot share the Ethernet "TV" signal with my regular Ethernet cable I use for PC Internet, etc.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah, confirm cannot run the Starhub Go App on my Sony Android TV. When I spoke to Starhub Technical helpdesk 2 weeks back, they said can!! They need to be updated on this.

Thanks for the suggestion but during my renovation of the study room where my 2nd TV is located, I have wired two Ethernet cables into that room from the Ethernet distribution box. The issue is that I need to split the Starhub "TV" signal from my Starhub modem port #1 using a Ethernet Switch. Means I will need to buy the switch. The switch will send one signal to my Set top box in living room and the other to the future Set top box in my study room. I cannot share the Ethernet "TV" signal with my regular Ethernet cable I use for PC Internet, etc.

since you have catered for lan cables for starhubtv, what you need is a $20 dumb 10/100 ethernet switch.

Last edited:

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Starhub ONT already split both Internet and TV services by using Port-1 for Internet/router and Port-2 for Fibre TV while ports 3 & 4 are null, not in use.

If you mean to split from ONT Port-2 for to 2 or more STB (Set top box) is done via IP Switch, refer;

iptv-multiple-set-top-box-set-up.jpg

Let Starhub provide this switch since you are taking 2 STB(s) or more, as others did mentioned in other threads/posts.

Since you already have 2 separate ethernet cable trunking then 1 for TV from switch while the other for Internet/router.

FYI.
Sharing the same ethernet cable for both Internet & TV signal would require additional managed switches and settings.
Refer > Starhub IPTV in Switched network - help

Reaction score
Hi, anyone with redbean rt-152 here? Able to share with me the power adapter voltage and current? I got 1 without the adapter and need to look for 1.... Thank you very much!

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the tips. I tried to use my hub ID to log in and Starhub Go app worked for both of me two boxes tested, H96 Pro Plus and H96 Max Plus, both running Android OS 7.1.

“Go Local - Watch for free” section and two Live TV channels are there, MaxToon HD and Love Nature HD.

Then I tried my other two lower end boxes. On the R69 2GB/16GB rooted box with RK3229 CPU Android 7.1, it also worked. On the other hand, Starhub Go app failed to install on my X96 Mini S905W 2GB/16GB rooted box which also runs Android 7.1.

So in the end, it may work, it may fail . YMMV, no guarantee.

Still StarHub Go app is designed for mobile phone and I am using a USB wireless keyboard/mouse combo for the testing. So it is still better to use mobile phone plus Chromecast. I just tried with my iPhone 6S and my 1st generation Google Chromecast and StarHub Go works fine on my dumb TV with Chromecast.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Still StarHub Go app is designed for mobile phone and I am using a USB wireless keyboard/mouse combo for the testing. So it is still better to use mobile phone plus Chromecast. I just tried with my iPhone 6S and my 1st generation Google Chromecast and StarHub Go works fine on my dumb TV with Chromecast.

Just as a test with my 1st gen Chromecast (2.4GHz wifi, 1080p only) and the following apps on my iPhone 6S. It should be similar with Android phone.

SingTel TV Go — works fine when casting to TV

SingTel Cast — works fine when cast to TV

StarHub Go — works fine when cast to TV

Viu — working on the phone but can not cast to TV, it says that you need Viu Premium Subscription in order to use Chromecast to Cast to TV.

TVB Anywhere SG: free content works on the phone after registration, not supporting Chromecast even if you have the subscription.

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just as a test with my 1st gen Chromecast (2.4GHz wifi, 1080p only) and the following apps on my iPhone 6S. It should be similar with Android phone.

SingTel TV Go — works fine when casting to TV

SingTel Cast — works fine when cast to TV

StarHub Go — works fine when cast to TV

Viu — working on the phone but can not cast to TV, it says that you need Viu Premium Subscription in order to use Chromecast to Cast to TV.

TVB Anywhere SG: free content works on the phone after registration, not supporting Chromecast even if you have the subscription.

Sent you PM :).

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I also tested X96 Mini Amlogic S905W based 2GB/16GB generic box running Android 7.1. This box is not recommended because of thermal issues, Tanix TX3 Mini is better and at similar price. Tanix TX3 Max is also better and only slightly more expensive.

SingTel TV Go -- not able to install, saying not compatible

SingTel Cast: able to install but not able to run

Starhub Go -- not able to install, saying not compatible

Toggle -- working fine

TVB Anywhere SG -- able to install but only a small region of the screen in the centre, not able to play any video, so not working

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.