Android TV Box

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just to complete the test, I also tested R69 RK3229 based 2GB/16GB box running Android 7.1, this box is not recommended.

SingTel TV Go -- not able to install, saying not compatible

SingTel Cast: able to install but not able to run

Starhub Go -- seems to work fine

Toggle -- working fine

Viu -- seems to work fine.

TVB Anywhere SG -- able to install but not able to play any video, so not working

Last edited:

Vin001

Reaction score
If you mean to split from ONT Port-2 for to 2 or more STB (Set top box) is done via IP Switch, refer;

Let Starhub provide this switch since you are taking 2 STB(s) or more, as others did mentioned in other threads/posts.

Yeah, I meant this, i.e. whichever port that is currently being used for my SH TV signal from my Modem-Router.

Ok I will check with them later on who will be supplying the switch. Thanks for the tip.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I meant this, i.e. whichever port that is currently being used for my SH TV signal from my Modem-Router.

Ok I will check with them later on who will be supplying the switch. Thanks for the tip.

Hopefully Starhub can provide you the switch for free. Even if Starhub does not provide the switch for free, it should be very cheap as well because you only need a dumb 10/100M switch in your case. A dumb 5-port gigabit switch is only at around S$25 now.

Eg:
https://www.hachi.tech/biz-solution...-sg1005d-5-port-gigabit-switch--6935364091798

Take note you do not need to use smart switch like TL-SG105E which is more expensive but still only at S$39.

https://www.hachi.tech/biz-solution...it-easy-smart-switch-tl-sg105e--6935364022037

Last edited:

Vin001

Reaction score
since you have catered for lan cables for starhubtv, what you need is a $20 dumb 10/100 ethernet switch.

Both you and Xiaofan have advised that the cost of getting such a switch is not too high. Agree.

By the way, you mentioned 10/100 as opposed to a 1 Gigabit switch. Are you saying SH TV signal don't require one that supports 1 Gigabit?

I am currently using the TP Link SG105E for my other LAN (for PCs and Network Audio player, etc). I need to go read about the difference between Smart switch and dumb switch. Noob here!

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Both you and Xiaofan have advised that the cost of getting such a switch is not too high. Agree.

By the way, you mentioned 10/100 as opposed to a 1 Gigabit switch. Are you saying SH TV signal don't require one that supports 1 Gigabit?

I am currently using the TP Link SG105E for my other LAN (for PCs and Network Audio player, etc). I need to go read about the difference between Smart switch and dumb switch. Noob here!

100M switch is good enough. On the other no point to get 100M switch now since gigabit switch is very cheap already.

TL-SG105E is capable of supporting vlan for Starhub Fibre TV use case with mixed internet and Fibre TV from 2nd ONT port. It is also capable of supporting vlan for SingTel fibre broadband uses case where SingTel use vlan function to deliver Fibre Internet and Fibre TV from the same ONT port.

In your current use case, I assume you have your ONT port 1 for internet usage and your TL-SG105E is used together with your wireless router to connect to PCs, network audio player, etc, it may be overkilled since you are not using the smart function. On the other I think it is still a good buy because I feel it is more rugged than the cheaper TL-SG1005D dumb switch.

You can buy one more set of SG105E for your second Fibre TV box use case in case Starhub does not offer the switch. You do not need to use the smart function or vlan stuff since you use ONT port 2 for dedicated Fibre TV usage, be it one unit or two units. Next time if you need to use the ONT port 2 for internet as well then you can learn to set up vlan for that use case (eg: to connect your Sony TV with Ethernet).

Ref:

TP-Link Vlan setup
https://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-788.html

Vlan for SingTel TV and internet
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...gtel-vlan-settings-tplink-sg108e-5746952.html

Last edited:

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

SH TV uses less than 10Mbps.

SG105E is a smart switch, but most likely you are using it as a dumb switch currently.

creator88

Reaction score

I recently switched from Starhub coaxial to Fibre TV. As I subscribe for two set-top boxes, they provided me with a dumb switch, i think it was the D-Link DGS-1005A 5-Port Gigabit Switch.

However, as I had previously only laid one LAN cable to each room, I had to purchase two smart switches (SG105E) separately to use VLAN to push both internet/IPTV traffic across the sole LAN cable.

Not sure whether it is useful, but my Starhub setup is as follows:

ycreK3m.jpg

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Just request for FREE items since you are taking Fibre TV package.

For taking Fibre TV there is one free trunking/conversion provided.
And since you don't need trunking/conversion then get the dummy switch &or something else.
This D-Link DGS-1005A 5-Port Gigabit Switch is a dummy gigabit desktop switch which i have one with 8-ports DGS-1008A model.
The purpose of 5 ports is that Starhub ONT Port-2 can have up to maximum 4 STB (Set top box).

Btw what package pricing are you paying for this package and is yours upgrade from cable TV.

Vin001

Reaction score
I recently switched from Starhub coaxial to Fibre TV. As I subscribe for two set-top boxes, they provided me with a dumb switch, i think it was the D-Link DGS-1005A 5-Port Gigabit Switch.

ycreK3m.jpg

Good to know this before I go over to a SH shop this weekend to get my 2nd set-top box. thanks

Vin001

Reaction score
Just request for FREE items since you are taking Fibre TV package.

Btw what package pricing are you paying for this package and is yours upgrade from cable TV.

Thanks for the tip.

Yes, it was an upgrade from my cable TV about a year ago at no extra cost. $31 for the basic tier including set-top box rental and HD upsize. I added another group at extra cost. Bundled with 24 months free 1Gbps fibre broadband bundle.

Last edited:

AileenGiggles

Reaction score
I bought the A95X from Android TV Box Solutions (via FB) last May.

I had a power trip last night and now unable to connect to the box. It asks for the activation code.

I tried contacting the company but the FB page and mobile phone are no longer in use.

Can anyone assist me how to activate / connect the box.

Thank you.

AutomationIsLife

Reaction score
I’m very new to this Android TV box tech. May I know what’s a good Android TV box to recommend. Seen some with thousands of channels, are those legit and how does a Chromecast actually help? What the difference between those that requires a subscription and one that does not? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I had a power trip last night and now unable to connect to the box. It asks for the activation code.

I tried contacting the company but the FB page and mobile phone are no longer in use.

Thank you.

FB page is the worst place to buy tv box.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Thank you.

What do you mean by activation code for the box? The box is just an generic low end Android TV boxes (R1 based on Rockchip RK3229 and R2 based on Amlogic S905W) which costs around S$40-50 depending on the configurations from a quick check in Lazada and there is no such thing as activation code for the box itself.

I think you mean to say you bought a preloaded boxes from Facebook with an activation code required for the bundled app (most likely for IPTV) right? In that case you are mostly out of luck if the company selling the bundled preloaded boxes close down.

Your best bet is to see if the app provider can help if you can manage to get the contact of that app provider. Hopefully the name of the app is not ZalTV...

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I’m very new to this Android TV box tech. May I know what’s a good Android TV box to recommend. Seen some with thousands of channels, are those legit and how does a Chromecast actually help? What the difference between those that requires a subscription and one that does not? Thanks in advance!

You need to state what you want.

All those with thousands of channels boxes are so called preloaded box and none of them are really legitimate and will be the targeted by future IP protection laws.

Depending on your needs you may consider the following options, from easy to more difficult

1) Starhub fibre TV or SingTel TV
2) Starhub Go Streaming Box
3) Google Chromecast
4) Apple TV 4k which is good option for Apple users

5) Mi Box S or Nvidia Shield TV running official Android TV OS whch supports Netflix 4k and YouTube 4k. You can load other apps as well with some exceptions like Starhub Go and TVB Anywhere SG. But they support Chromecast function which works with Starhub Go.

6) Amazon Fire TV stick 4k or Amazon Fire TV Cube, which supports Netflix 4k as well, again you can side load other apps.

7) Other barebone Android TV boxes, say those from Zidoo, Minix, Beelink and Tanix. Or those generic boxes. No Netflix HD/4k support, no ChromeCast function

8) Preloaded boxes like UnblockTech Ubox with relative comprehensive live TV app UBTV and they try to support it even though UBTV is ordered by high court to be blocked by local ISPs. Not recommended but I can see why people still go for it.

9) Other preloaded boxes sold at Sim Lim Square, other shopping centres or online market place or even Facebook, most if not all are problematic and do not expect good support. Avoid them.

10) Not HW boxes but just paid IPTV subscription. Not recommended in general but I can understand why people buy them.

Last edited:

AileenGiggles

Reaction score
What do you mean by activation code for the box? The box is just an generic low end Android TV boxes (R1 based on Rockchip RK3229 and R2 based on Amlogic S905W) which costs around S$40-50 depending on the configurations from a quick check in Lazada and there is no such thing as activation code for the box itself.

I think you mean to say you boight a preloaded boxes from Facebook with an activation code required for the bundled app (most likely for IPTV) right? In that case you are mostly out of luck if the company selling the bundled preloaded boxes close down.

Your best bet is to see if the app provider can help if you can manage to get the contact of that app provider. Hopefully the name of the app is not ZalTV...

A screen pops up showing the Device ID, and asks for the Activate Code, Name, Email and Phone. I don't have the code and when the guy hooked up the box with my tv, I wasn't asked to provide Name, Email and contact number.

Super-King

Reaction score
Is Starhub Fibre TV worth it?

I was asked by starhub to install cables around my whole hse so that I can use Starhub Fibre TV as Cable TV is gonna phase out... Worth it?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
A screen pops up showing the Device ID, and asks for the Activate Code, Name, Email and Phone. I don't have the code and when the guy hooked up the box with my tv, I wasn't asked to provide Name, Email and contact number.

I see, that looks like a paid IPTV app and need an activation code. Sorry I guess nobody can help you unless you find the guy who sold you the box.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.