[Maylyn - Networking] ASUS RT-AC86U

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if you bought from asus, it comes with stock firmware
merlin is 3rd party alternative asus firmware, use at your own risk
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/FAQ

Q: Does Asus know about this project?
A: Yes. We frequently exchange emails, and they have also integrated some of the features and bug fixes from this firmware project into the stock firmware. So far they have been quite supportive of this project, for which I am very grateful.

Q: Will flashing this void my warranty?
A: This is a kinda grey area for which I have no definitive answer unfortunately. I have seen Asus publicly commit to supporting DD-WRT for some of their models, without any mention about it voiding your warranty. Therefore my personal opinion would be that "No, it won't void your warranty", but as the saying goes, IANAL. Your retailer might certainly have a different view on this than Asus would, too.

NOTE: CSR Sanita, after confirming w/ her supervisor, said on 2/24/2016 "We will repair the product free of cost under warranty if it does not have any physical damage. No, it won't void your warranty."

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
more questions for ac86u! :D

is it normal for RAM to be utilized as much as 85%!?
anyone using asus merlin custom firmware? am considering this becoz of their "policy based routing"
Don't know if it's normal but seeing that also
For this router use , Merlin or stocked firmware ? Merlin’s use less memory ?

75-85% is normal.. most users on snbforums reports the same RAM usage as well.. if you were to plug a external HDD to the router you would most probably see RAM usage as high as 95% as well.

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
did you turn off alot of features?? the only time I can get it running at 50%+ operationally is perhaps just briefly after factory resetting it and clearing all the internal nvram/memory/scripts.. :s13:

but as I start tunning the router back to my settings and setting up all the stuff like OpenVPN server + clients with policy-based routing, the trend micro security, port forwarding, print server, adblock/malware block scripts + other optimising scripts and custom commands, it would be back to 75-80% again.. :s13:

I think the high ram usage % on the landing page of the admin page looks alarming, but once you go into the overall system page and look at the numbers, it actually looks ok with quite abit of overhead.. somemore these stats here is based on 3 days uptime with OpenVPN client running non-stop with zero down timing and quite heavy file downloads + approx half of the overall devices connected to an SSID with no VPN routed and the rest connecting to another SSID behind the VPN.. I wanna try see this time whether the VPN server will go down first or the router's WiFi connection will drop first.. :D

S7ry2kq.jpg

ApdkhND.jpg

rrr2015

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I do have usb3.0 ssd mounted. No openvpn connection.
Noticed that ram usage was around 59% when just booted up
So kinda puzzling where the ram usage gone to when it was at 85%
Stock firmware doesn't provide alot statistics.

Sidetrack, noticed i can make multiple openvpn connections, does that help on transfer rate?
75-85% is normal.. most users on snbforums reports the same RAM usage as well.. if you were to plug a external HDD to the router you would most probably see RAM usage as high as 95% as well.

Last edited:

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I do have usb3.0 ssd mounted. No openvpn connection.
Noticed that ram usage was around 59% when just booted up
So kinda puzzling where the ram usage gone to when it was at 85%
Stock firmware doesn't provide alot statistics.

Sidetrack, noticed i can make multiple openvpn connections, does that help on transfer rate?
the more VPN you route your connection to, the further and more destination the data have to travel to and fro before it reaches the destination.

rrr2015

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
not more route but load balance between multiple openvpn links … that said, i haven't figure out how to add routing table into Asus yet. doesn't look to have load parameter.
the more VPN you route your connection to, the further and more destination the data have to travel to and fro before it reaches the destination.

Reaction score
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/FAQ

Q: Does Asus know about this project?
A: Yes. We frequently exchange emails, and they have also integrated some of the features and bug fixes from this firmware project into the stock firmware. So far they have been quite supportive of this project, for which I am very grateful.

Q: Will flashing this void my warranty?
A: This is a kinda grey area for which I have no definitive answer unfortunately. I have seen Asus publicly commit to supporting DD-WRT for some of their models, without any mention about it voiding your warranty. Therefore my personal opinion would be that "No, it won't void your warranty", but as the saying goes, IANAL. Your retailer might certainly have a different view on this than Asus would, too.

NOTE: CSR Sanita, after confirming w/ her supervisor, said on 2/24/2016 "We will repair the product free of cost under warranty if it does not have any physical damage. No, it won't void your warranty."

Kym?

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/diversion-the-router-ad-blocker.48538/

csc12345678

Master Member
Reaction score
Currently using this as a NAS with a 2TB HDD.

Is anyone plugging in a USB 3 4TB HDD as a NAS ? Any problems ?

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Currently using this as a NAS with a 2TB HDD.

Is anyone plugging in a USB 3 4TB HDD as a NAS ? Any problems ?
I plugged my 8tb Seagate backup+ Hub to this router's usb3 port and daisy chained another 2 x 2tb normal backup plus external hdd to the 8tb hub's 2 usb3 ports before LOL..

I don't recommend plugging in something that is more than 2tb because you will see your ram usage shoot up alot.. and I'm talking about constant 95-98% ram usage..

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bro thanks for the reply.

anyway have anyone tried to use open vpn ? as i intending to set it up but not sure will mio tv will be affected.
I have OpenVPN client running on the router 24/7 but with policy-based routing which Merlin firmware provides. so you can either set some device not to be routed through the VPN, or set to choose only certain device to go thru the VPN. in short, you can exclude the Lan port that is used for your mio tv to be routed through the VPN if it's affected.

GReddy G9 RS

Reaction score
Notice that my 5GHz wifi network is slower the 2.4Ghz. Do a reboot n still the same. Anyone encounter such issue?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.