Looking for Recommendation - Civic, Mazda 6, Camry, Type R

Kotorin

Reaction score
new around 150k...170 is list price

:s31: That means other car brands' prices can also be negotiated? I went to a couple of dealers like Honda and Toyota, all of them quoted me the same price from sgcarmart.

villan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
:s31: That means other car brands' prices can also be negotiated? I went to a couple of dealers like Honda and Toyota, all of them quoted me the same price from sgcarmart.

depends..applies to most conti cars...jap/korea normally what u see is what u get (+/- few k max)

Kotorin

Reaction score
Camry & A4 at 140k +, which will u choose? lol.

Given their OMV, I'll probably choose A4 if Camry's price can't be negotiated accordingly. But compared to Civic/TypeR, I'd probably still choose the latter :s13::s13:

Kotorin

Reaction score
depends..applies to most conti cars...jap/korea normally what u see is what u get (+/- few k max)

I see. Thanks for the tip. I dismissed most conti cars during my research coz they appear to be so much more expensive and I'm still not big fan of conti car looks. I only find BMW and Maserati appealing but can't afford them.:s13:

gohsj89

Master Member
Reaction score
I'm a first-timer buyer so I'm a total novice. I'd like to seek some advice from fellow forumers.

I'm looking at the following models:

1. Civic 1.5 VTEC Turbo ($117,999):
My favorite exterior design among all and it was love at first sight. I've never been a fan of Civic look until this model came out.

2. Civic Type R ($184,999):
Similar as the normal but with wilder look and, of course, horsepower. If I own this, will definitely do some track days at Sepang.

3. Mazda 6 2.5 Premium ($144,800, Promo Price $129,800, promo interest: 1.88%):
I'm no big fan of the design but wife likes it. I've heard good words about it on international forums but the user ratings on sgcarmart seems very low (maybe due to small sample size). The current promotion looks incredible and according to the sales person, it will end after Feb.

4. Camry 2.0 ($143,900): Least favorite exterior for both my wife and me. But as far as I know, a Toyota should be a safe buy so I put one model here.

I think we can afford all these options although the Type R will eat into our savings a bit more. And I'm 29 yo with 1.5 yrs license age. We don't have kids or parents to drive around with.

My wife values these aspects in decreasing order of importance, it would be great if you could comment on these axes.
1. Ease of selling as in how fast we can sell it at a good price point (we will probably sell it after 5/6 years)
2. Depreciation as a percentage of the selling price.
3. Exterior look and feel
4. Durability
4. Comfortability
5. Long-term costs - maintenance, insurance, fuel efficiency

My current preference purely based on exterior design is:
1. Mazda 6 (wife factor, and the promotion looks really attractive)
2. Civic Type R (this can be 1st if resellability is as good as Mazda 6)
3. Civic
4. Camry

Thank you in advance!

Actually, I don't think you will regret getting the Civic 1.5.
It has power, and yes, more powerful than the Camry. (based on specs)
It has space, even if you have kids next time, this won't disappoint you.
It has looks, definitely looks more sporty than Mazda 6 and Camry
And of course the price lar!

Camry is just, too big for 2. And I consider it too big for 4 adults as well haha.

CTR is another qns already. You comfortable with Manual? or you prefer a seemless drive?

No doubt Toyota is the brand of reliability, but Honda is on par.
I am not sure what unreliable factor is most people comparing about.

Anyway if you can't decide, just go for test drive.

I worked for car rental before, and can share the following with you:
Camry: More of a passenger car, very smooth and quiet, and spacious among all of your choices. I don't find the engine that responsive. Boring to me in-fact.

Mazda 6: I feel the drive is more responsive. Cornering better than Camry. Rear passenger seat is not big as compared to the Camry.

To each his own.

JX1983

Reaction score
Given their OMV, I'll probably choose A4 if Camry's price can't be negotiated accordingly. But compared to Civic/TypeR, I'd probably still choose the latter :s13::s13:

Consider Lexus IS300 since ur budget already stretch till civic type R. I see u are looking for comfortable and nice looking exterior. Comfort and maintenance wise I think it should suit u. Haha.. Camry don’t want la u 29 yrs old only maybe another 10yrs when u reaching 40+ then consider. I don’t know why my mindcept still think Camry is for maybe 40+.. Reason I intro u is because I am driving the IS200t myself. :s13:

Sad to said I failed to pursue my wife 2 times in getting a used 1.5 turbo civic because sitting in the rear seats 2 times, she complaint noisy. Haha if u and ur wife like the 1.5 civic go for it.

Last edited:

tankgunner

Mentor
Reaction score
Consider Lexus IS300 since ur budget already stretch till civic type R. I see u are looking for comfortable and nice looking exterior. Comfort and maintenance wise I think it should suit u. Haha.. Camry don’t want la u 29 yrs old only maybe another 10yrs when u reaching 40+ then consider. I don’t know why my mindcept still think Camry is for maybe 40+.. Reason I intro u is because I am driving the IS200t myself. :s13:

Sad to said I failed to pursue my wife 2 times in getting a used 1.5 turbo civic because sitting in the rear seats 2 times, she complaint noisy. Haha if u and ur wife like the 1.5 civic go for it.

you scrap your gti?

Kotorin

Reaction score
Actually, I don't think you will regret getting the Civic 1.5.
It has power, and yes, more powerful than the Camry. (based on specs)
It has space, even if you have kids next time, this won't disappoint you.
It has looks, definitely looks more sporty than Mazda 6 and Camry
And of course the price lar!

Camry is just, too big for 2. And I consider it too big for 4 adults as well haha.

CTR is another qns already. You comfortable with Manual? or you prefer a seemless drive?

No doubt Toyota is the brand of reliability, but Honda is on par.
I am not sure what unreliable factor is most people comparing about.

Anyway if you can't decide, just go for test drive.

I worked for car rental before, and can share the following with you:
Camry: More of a passenger car, very smooth and quiet, and spacious among all of your choices. I don't find the engine that responsive. Boring to me in-fact.

Mazda 6: I feel the drive is more responsive. Cornering better than Camry. Rear passenger seat is not big as compared to the Camry.

To each his own.

Appreciate your detailed explanation. I've booked my whole Sunday for test drive and I'll try all of them.

emo3lmo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I m looking at camry hybrid from PI at ard 120k+
Fuel consumption seems good and there isnt lack of power for chionging NSHW

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I m looking at camry hybrid from PI at ard 120k+
Fuel consumption seems good and there isnt lack of power for chionging NSHW

Is a nice car. But from PI, battery maintenance and warranty is a issue.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.