View Single Post
Old 01-03-2019, 03:06 AM   #4
silentears

I do not think the MSc AF is much useful if you have a finance background(curriculum is closely similar to CFA). The MSc QF is relatively better (source: had an offer for QF but I didn't go for it)

are you currently in any of the fields that you mentioned? if you already in PE/AM, I would think it's better for you to gain experience and connections first, then using that to get into a good Masters in Finance/MBA program (top 10/20) for upwards career progression. However, if you aren't in the fields, the chances of you getting into those fields with the MSc from SMU is pretty slim, albeit higher than without one. You might get internships in the fields, but are you ready to start from scratch? Linkedin is a good source of information, you can reach out to alumni of the programs for their views.

PS: If you did well in your undergraduate and cost is not an issue, do look at overseas programmes.
Good advice, but what about a recent graduate (2017- 2018 batch) looking to break into this field with a non-finance undergraduate degree?

Would a masters in finance help break into say entry level banking?

I have a business degree from one of the local unis, but not in the finance stream, ended graduating in the marketing stream.

Internships experience: Managed to find only 1 related internship in equity research in prop firm, but no conversion.

6 mth + into current 1st job: some random admin job that is not even related to my degree. But I managed to farm up the school fees needed.
Was unemployed for 6~months as I tried to applied for entry level finance job, also can't get in.

Currently looking at NUS Msc Finance though, cause no need gmat, total cost about 45k (exclude gst).

Any seniors can share if the masters can be used to rebrand myself?
Late 20s liao, still haven't get my life sorted out
silentears is offline   Reply With Quote