Android TV Box

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Depending on your needs you may consider the following options, from easy to more difficult

1) Starhub fibre TV or SingTel TV
2) Starhub Go Streaming Box
3) Google Chromecast
4) Apple TV 4k
5) Mi Box S or Nvidia Shield TV running official Android TV OS
6) Amazon Fire TV stick 4k or Amazon Fire TV Cube
7) Other barebone Android TV boxes
8) Preloaded boxes like UnblockTech Ubox
9) Other preloaded boxes sold locally. Avoid them.
10) Not HW boxes but just paid IPTV subscription. Not recommended in general

Of course there are other alternatives like smart TV from Samsung (Tizen OS), LG (Web OS) and Sony/Sharp/Philips (Android TV OS), of which Android TV OS is the smartest with more apps. Then there are things like Roku box which is popular in US but may not be good for use in Singapore.

On the paid apps side, there are legitimate services as well, like Netflix, SingTel TV Go, SingTel Cast, Toggle, Starhub Go, TVB Anywhere SG, Viu, etc. Most of these more established legitimate streaming apps support Chromecast except TVB Anywhere SG. So it is good to buy things like ChromeCast dongle or Mi Box S even though you may not be able to install apps like Starhub Go on to Mi Box S itself.

Last edited:

AutomationIsLife

Reaction score
Of course there are other alternatives like smart TV from Samsung (Tizen OS), LG (Web OS) and Sony/Sharp/Philips (Android TV OS), of which Android TV OS is the smartest with more apps. Then there are things like Roku box which is popular in US but may not be good for use in Singapore.

On the paid apps side, there are legitimate services as well, like Netflix, SingTel TV Go, SingTel Cast, Toggle, Starhub Go, TVB Anywhere SG, Viu, etc. Most of these more established legitimate streaming apps support Chromecast except TVB Anywhere SG. So it is good to buy things like ChromeCast dongle or Mi Box S even though you may not be able to install apps like Starhub Go on to Mi Box S itself.

I see I see, I’m actually looking for one that supports YouTube, Netflix, overseas channels and maybe those discovery channels. Which would be best recommend and I’m already running a Samsung smart TV so what do I actually need?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I see I see, I’m actually looking for one that supports YouTube, Netflix, overseas channels and maybe those discovery channels. Which would be best recommend and I’m already running a Samsung smart TV so what do I actually need?

For YouTube and Netflix your Samsung Smart TV should already be good.

Unfortunately there are no easily available legitimate way in the market to watch most overseas channels like Discovery channels, so your only choices are Starhub/SingTel. That is why I can understand that people are going to those Ubox or pirate streaming IPTV apps even though I will not recommend them.

If you only need live TV channels from mainland China, then you can just use any decent Android TV box and then use apps like 超级直播,华文电视,电视家,etc. Then there are VOD apps like Youku or Tencent Video which you can use for free using VPN or pay for the VIP access.

If you are asking for specific recommendation for those pirate streams based IPTV apps (free or paid) sorry I will not be able to answer as I do not use them.

Last edited:

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip.

Yes, it was an upgrade from my cable TV about a year ago at no extra cost. $31 for the basic tier including set-top box rental and HD upsize. I added another group at extra cost. Bundled with 24 months free 1Gbps fibre broadband bundle.

$31 with free broadband for 24 months is cheap, too bad I switched over to Starhub Android box last year :(.

1a2a3a

Reaction score
Can I know what’s the difference between android box and those pirated StarHub box?

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can I know what’s the difference between android box and those pirated StarHub box?

android box is legal, you can see it as an android tablet minus the screen.

pirated starhub box is illegal, you will be given food and coffee if you are caught with one.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Pirates StarHub is illegal. They try to circumvent the content protection from StarHub.

Android TV boxes will not enable you to watch StarHub TV channels. It runs Android OS, either Android TV os or mobile phone version of Android. You need to install apps in order to make them useful.

Some Android TV boxes have preloaded channels (pirate stream based live TV apps) and they may be illegal as well in the future once the government amends the IP protection laws.

ColdHardTruth

Reaction score
I bought the A95X from Android TV Box Solutions (via FB) last May.

I had a power trip last night and now unable to connect to the box. It asks for the activation code.

I tried contacting the company but the FB page and mobile phone are no longer in use.

Can anyone assist me how to activate / connect the box.

Thank you.

Hi Aileen Chan. It's best to contact the seller for the code as they are the one who installed the app in the box.

1a2a3a

Reaction score
Just now you mention Ubox IPTV <- this is android box or considered pirated StarHub box?

android box is legal, you can see it as an android tablet minus the screen.

pirated starhub box is illegal, you will be given food and coffee if you are caught with one.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just now you mention Ubox IPTV <- this is android box or considered pirated StarHub box?

it is not a pirated starhub box.

it is an android box, however, it comes with pre-installed apps which will be illegal if the current proposed amendment on copyright law is passed.

ubox's hardware is cheap, less than $40. so if the law is passed, your $200 ubox will become fraction of $40.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

UBox is an Android TV box with preloaded IPTV program called UBTV. Take note there is a high court order for local ISPs to block UBTV. It is just the company have found the workaround for its customers to continue to use UBTV app.

No point to talk about Pirate StarHub TV boxes already as they should already disappear from the market since it has been made illegal long back.

Last edited:

1a2a3a

Reaction score
Does that mean getting the $40 box is better than the $200 box when the law is passed, you’ll only lose 40 instead of 200?

But you mentioned against it for the $40 box...?

it is not a pirated starhub box.

it is an android box, however, it comes with pre-installed apps which will be illegal if the current proposed amendment on copyright law is passed.

ubox's hardware is cheap, less than $40. so if the law is passed, your $200 ubox will become fraction of $40.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://www.cnx-software.com/2019/02/20/tanix-tx6-tv-box-allwinner-h6-android-9-0-firmware/

There are now Android 9.0 boxes out there for RK3328 based boxes (A5X Max and X88, both generic box) and S905X2 based box (Mecool KM9) .
Now Allwinner H6 based Tanix TX6 also comes with Android 9.0 and it is a decent box based on the reviews.

On the other hand Android 9.0 may have some compatibility issues with some streaming apps, so it may not be a good idea to jump to this yet.

Last edited:

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does that mean getting the $40 box is better than the $200 box when the law is passed, you’ll only lose 40 instead of 200?

But you mentioned against it for the $40 box...?

don't waste your money buying cheap box with sub par component and workmanship.

get a 'mibox s' instead, it should be able to serve you for 3-5 years easily. price is around $70, one third of ubox.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916

The above Kodi forum has a good overview of the HW suitable for Kodi. The contents are actually of good reference value to Android TV boxes as well.

The note about older Mi Box Global version Oreo FW update was valid last year but hopefully the issue is now resolved. Mi Box S comes with Oreo out of the box so it is not an issue.

Nvidia Shield TV, Minix NEO U1 and U9-H are rated high as a Kodi box.

Vin001

Reaction score
Good to know this before I go over to a SH shop this weekend to get my 2nd set-top box. thanks

I have not got my second set-top box for my new Sony Android TV (as 2nd TV) yet, but I have been playing with the Chromecast (or aka Google cast) on the TV for the last one week and would like to share the following observations.

I would cast it from my Starhub Go app while watching mainly the SH sports channel.

The problem of the cast screen appearing as a small window on TV is still there but I am able to get around the problem by allowing the Apps to play that channel for a while (say about a minute) before I cast it to the TV.

Fast moving ball (e.g. Tennis ball) appears as a slightly fuzzy ghosting image on the screen. When watching that same channel on my other 9 year old dumb TV of the same size via a SH set-top, there is no ghosting effect. It cannot be due to the new Sony TV as it has a decent screen refresh rate hence I attribute it to the Chromecast instead. No issue when watching non sports channels using Chromecast. In fact I could even cast 4K content to my TV without issue so long it does not have fast moving images.

Last edited:

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have not got my second set-top box for my new Sony Android TV (as 2nd TV) yet, but I have been playing with the Chromecast (or aka Google cast) on the TV for the last one week and would like to share the following observations.

I would cast it from my Starhub Go app while watching mainly the SH sports channel.

The problem of the cast screen appearing as a small window on TV is still there but I am able to get around the problem by allowing the Apps to play that channel for a while (say about a minute) before I cast it to the TV.

Fast moving ball (e.g. Tennis ball) appears as a slightly fuzzy ghosting image on the screen. When watching that same channel on my other 9 year old dumb TV of the same size via a SH set-top, there is no ghosting effect. It cannot be due to the new Sony TV as it has a decent screen refresh rate hence I attribute it to the Chromecast instead. No issue when watching non sports channels using Chromecast. In fact I could even cast 4K content to my TV without issue so long it does not have fast moving images.

make sure that you are not using mirroring mode.

one way to confirm is to turn off phone's wifi immediately after casting. You should be able to continue to watch the video on tv if you are using the right mode to chromecast.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Android TV box CPU

1) Most popular is Amlogic chips

S922X High end hex core, 4xA73 core +2xA53 core, upcoming, to compete with RK3399

S905X2, quad core A53, popular latest chip, mid end, USB 3.0 support and 4GB memory support. Eg: Beelink GT 1 Mini and Tanix TX5 Max.

S912, mid end, 8 core A53, no USB 3.0 and up to 3GB memory. Eg: Minix NEO U9-H, Beelink GT1 Ultimate, Tanix TX92

S905X/S905L, quad core A53, mid end, Mi Box S (Android 8) uses S905L/S905X. Old Mi Box global version uses the same chip but comes with Android 6 and upgradable to Android 8.

S905W, quad core A53, popular in low end, 4k 30fps support instead of 4k 60fps support in the above chips, buy the 2GB RAM version and not the 1GB RAM version, usually comes with Android 7.1. Eg: Tanix TX3 Max and TX3 Mini

2) The other popular choice is Rockchip

RK3399 hex core 2xA72+4xA53, most powerful among the three vendors, performance only exceeded by the CPU used by Nvidia Shield TV. Overkill for TV box

RK3328, quad core A53, popular mid end, performance similar to S905X, but with USB 3.0 support and 4GB memory support

RK3229, popular low end, quad core A7, performance below S905W, avoid them

3) Allwiner

H6, quad core A53, performance above S905X and RK3328 but below S912 and S905X2, USB 3.0 support. Usually comes with Android 7.x. Eg: Tanix TX6 (Android 7.1 and Android 9). Latest Ubox Pro 2 I950 comes with H6 CPU but RAM is only 1GB. Same for UBox Pro I900. EVpad 3 and 3Max use this CPU as well but with 2GB memory.

Old H5 and H3 boxes are rare now.

Last edited:

Elon Jobs

Reaction score
Zmxtgfp.jpg

TSwc6AW.jpg

Hi, anyone has used this box before? Selling for $250. Any reviews?

Context: My current StarHub contract will end in June and I’ve decided not to renew with them. So I’ve been following a couple of threads hoping to gather some knowledge from you experts who have been using Android boxes for years. I have narrowed down my choices to either one of two options-

1) I get such boxes from Sim Lim et tal which comes preloaded with their “lifetime subscription” apps;

2) I get a Mi Box S from Lazada/Shopee and play around with it and install my own apps and if suitable, upgrade to a Shield come end of the year during Black Monday sale or something.

My requirements are simple-
1) EPL/Champions league & HBO/Fox Movies (basic English movie channels) for myself;

2) Korean drama channels for the wife;

3) Kids/educational channels for the young one.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.