Android TV Box

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! Now wait for Mibox user to advise. Mibox is easily more than $100 cheaper than Apple TV. And...we really foresee the kids using most of it. IT show I will check online prices see what discounts will run on Lazada/Qoo10/Shopee and will get device this week.

if you are carot, then go IT show to get chopped.

alexander175

Reaction score
Hi, I am looking for something basic (16gb storage, 2gb ram), and pure android tv os. it's my first time but i'm pretty sure i can just figure it out along the way. Please recommend, thank you!!:)

Vin001

Reaction score
I have not got my second set-top box for my new Sony Android TV (as 2nd TV) yet, but I have been playing with the Chromecast (or aka Google cast) on the TV for the last one week and would like to share the following observations.

I would cast it from my Starhub Go app while watching mainly the SH sports channel.

The problem of the cast screen appearing as a small window on TV is still there but I am able to get around the problem by allowing the Apps to play that channel for a while (say about a minute) before I cast it to the TV.

Fast moving ball (e.g. Tennis ball) appears as a slightly fuzzy ghosting image on the screen. When watching that same channel on my other 9 year old dumb TV of the same size via a SH set-top, there is no ghosting effect. It cannot be due to the new Sony TV as it has a decent screen refresh rate hence I attribute it to the Chromecast instead. No issue when watching non sports channels using Chromecast. In fact I could even cast 4K content to my TV without issue so long it does not have fast moving images.

Just an update to all Starhub TV subscribers who are in the same situation as me, i.e. setting up a second TV in the house to view SH channels. I was instructed by SH to go visit the SH shop at Vivo, upon getting there I was told they do not issue Fibre TV set top boxes from the shops :frus:. I need to call them to arrange to have one installed. It will cost $50 for transportation, installation only during a weekday and I also need to buy a DLink ethernet switch from SH at $37.

The total damage is $87 and having to consume my annual leave.

I will need to re-think this option.

My other options are streaming to handphone then google casting to TV (doing this now) or to get a low cost Generic Android TV box that can run the SH TV Go app.

(Side note: I tried installing the SH TV go APK again last night on my Sony Android TV but this time using the newer version 3.2.33...no use. It still refused to run from the TV)

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
(Side note: I tried installing the SH TV go APK again last night on my Sony Android TV but this time using the newer version 3.2.33...no use. It still refused to run from the TV)

No need to try already, it is confirmed that Starhub Go app is not working under official Android TV OS device like Nvidia Shield TV, Mi Box S and Sony/Sharp Android TV.

Vin001

Reaction score
No need to try already, it is confirmed that Starhub Go app is not working under official Android TV OS device like Nvidia Shield TV, Mi Box S and Sony/Sharp Android TV.

LOL! :s13: I am still hopping someone who had successfully ran the SH APK on a generic Android TV box to come in and share with all what is the brand/model of the box.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
from which seller?

get from sellers in qoo10, lazada or shopee.

the price is from $65 to $85, depends on special discount, coupons..etc

check for offers if you want lower price, at the moment the price is a bit high.

msaz

Reaction score
Just came back from IT show ,The price is pretty much ridiculous , for old box with 1 gb or 2 gb ram selling at $199 and above, the set specs is same as those qoo10 tv boxes @$50 -$70(6.0 and below).
The mildly better specs box(3GB ram) is $299 really ketuk pricing doubt it is even the
new rk3328 or above series

Last edited:

i-Movies

Reaction score
So what are the differences between UBox gen 4 / gen 5 / gen 6 / UPro2? Only hardware spec? Firmware or channel availability are same?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So what are the differences between UBox gen 4 / gen 5 / gen 6 / UPro2? Only hardware spec? Firmware or channel availability are same?

HW differences have been covered in this thread.

For the differences on the firmware and channel availability questions, you can ask here.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...sion-thread-ii-[consolidated]-5538179-95.html

One thing about UPro and Upro 2, the hardware specifications of the two boxes are basically the same. The main change is that UPro 2 is officially rooted and has the built-in ChinaTunnel app to bypass geo-block content in China.

Reborns

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! Now wait for Mibox user to advise. Mibox is easily more than $100 cheaper than Apple TV. And...we really foresee the kids using most of it. IT show I will check online prices see what discounts will run on Lazada/Qoo10/Shopee and will get device this week.

Hi

using XiaoMi MiBox S International (official with netflix version)
*not china one

i am using it with Singtel TV Go app directly on the box
*install from google store
.. no need to cast or anything

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi

using XiaoMi MiBox S International (official with netflix version)
*not china one

i am using it with Singtel TV Go app directly on the box
*install from google store
.. no need to cast or anything

Take note SingTel Cast is not the same as SingTel TV Go.

https://www.singtel.com/personal/products-services/lifestyle-services/cast

BTW, since you have SingTel TV subscription, you can easily activate Cast account. There are some free content for SingTel TV users.

Last edited:

storm913

Master Member
Reaction score
Thinking of getting a mibox S for netflix and Youtube. What are some other commonly recommended apps for me to look into? Hoping for some Chinese channels/shows for my parents.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thinking of getting a mibox S for netflix and Youtube. What are some other commonly recommended apps for me to look into? Hoping for some Chinese channels/shows for my parents.

For Chinese live TV apps, you can use 超级直播,电视家,etc.

For VOD, you can use imahua麻花影视 and many other apps.

Dangbei market or Shafa market got lots of apps but take note many top VOD apps like 腾讯视频 or 爱奇艺 may need VPN and may need to pay for VIP to have best experiences.

Ref here: for iPhone but also of some value to Android. Of course Android got many more choices than iOS for Chinese Entertainment.

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...phone-chinese-entertainment-apps-5929935.html

killless

Master Member
Reaction score
All these media tv box, if govt order telco block connections to them, then become useless already right?

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
All these media tv box, if govt order telco block connections to them, then become useless already right?

no.

android box is the same as android phone/tablelet without screen. are you saying govt is going to block phone/tablet?

but if you paid for illegal services, then the service provider can just keep your money and blame the govt for blocking it.

Reborns

Reaction score
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.