Malaysia prepaid card

Elon Jobs

Reaction score
Don't need. I'm on Hotlink, using iPhone. Have internet connection can already since it's on the app.

Here's what I do:
At home, with my M1 SIM card in my phone, using house wifi (M1 4G also can), I use the app to top up RM10 using my SG credit card. This is the part I need my M1 SIM card because of the OTP. Then I press my data bundle on the app.
Once the transaction is done, my Hotlink card is active and have more credits.
After this then change SIM card. I normally change when I'm nearing JB.

The important thing is the SMS OTP if you're using SG credit card which prevents me from changing SIM cards too early.

Can I check with you the minimum top up for Hotlink is RM10? Valid for 10 days?

21Flowers

Reaction score
Question: i often see malaysians seemingly surfing the net seemlessly while travelling across the causeway (tuas, in cw bus), how do they do that?

My hotlink loses MY data connection halfway through the bridge, n my m1, starhub n circles life can't kick in at that point... What data magic is this?

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Question: i often see malaysians seemingly surfing the net seemlessly while travelling across the causeway (tuas, in cw bus), how do they do that?

My hotlink loses MY data connection halfway through the bridge, n my m1, starhub n circles life can't kick in at that point... What data magic is this?

Sometimes it's possible to get some of the Malaysian networks from the bus bay at Woodlands, and vice versa ST and M1 networks from the CW bus area in JB. Not impossible, but not always.

Have you noticed that many of these Malaysian workers have more than 1 phone?

No magic, but do consider using a better/higher-end phone. Might work...

really_noob

Master Member
Reaction score

I didn't really take note but the Hotlink 4G usually works for me when I try to use at the Malaysian portion of the bridge.
Coming back, quite a distance from JB custom, sometimes no more 4G. Drop to 3G and subsequently E. I get M1 4G before the SG customs.

I tried using M1 prepaid roaming to JB before I got my Hotlink. Not impressed. Data seems to use up so much faster and sometimes cannot get internet connection although I'm logged onto the preferred network (Celcom) with available data balance. Have to on airplane mode and off again before the internet comes back. Starhub prepaid seems to work better but I'm happy with my Hotlink.

Can I check with you the minimum top up for Hotlink is RM10? Valid for 10 days?

Minimum on credit card is RM10 from my experience. My trouble is I kept topping up RM10 and use only RM3 for my day trips. So accumulated quite a bit of balance. Now I just buy the RM5 top up voucher from the shops, before i go in I key in the code into the app, valid for 5 days (active period) + 50 days (inactive period). Good enough since I go in every month.

That day I bought 3 RM5 vouchers at the same time so I don't need to keep buying. The expiry date is very long, until 2024, so there's no need to worry the voucher code will expire.

Elon Jobs

Reaction score
Minimum on credit card is RM10 from my experience. My trouble is I kept topping up RM10 and use only RM3 for my day trips. So accumulated quite a bit of balance. Now I just buy the RM5 top up voucher from the shops, before i go in I key in the code into the app, valid for 5 days (active period) + 50 days (inactive period). Good enough since I go in every month.

That day I bought 3 RM5 vouchers at the same time so I don't need to keep buying. The expiry date is very long, until 2024, so there's no need to worry the voucher code will expire.

Yeah, I would do the same if I were you!

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
First time going to JB.
Is there any shop selling prepaid card at JB Sentral?

Quite a few in and around, but I think the one that sells at RRP in that area is myNews in Komtar JBCC that's just across the road via the link bridge. It's on the ground floor in the mall.

Edit: There's a Digi dealer up in the immigration hall, somewhere on the left after the customs clearance area.

JB Sentral:
- There's a booth down the escalators just before you walk into JB Sentral. They sell all sorts of reload vouchers, but not sure if they've SIM packs for sale too.
- In JB Sentral, turn left right after you step in, there are 1 or 2 dealers down that row.
- The 7-Eleven there, I think have U Mobile SIM packs.
- On the other side along the row in front of KFC, there's a dealer that sells the likes of Hotlink, Celcom Prepaid, and I think also U Mobile.
- Out the building and after you've gone down the 1st escalator, you'll notice another escalator on the left going down to the street level. There's a Hotlink dealer (cart) there.

Komtar JBCC:
- myNews (next to the entrance facing City Square) is known to sell at RRP, so stocks of more popular cards run out pretty quickly. They normally have Tune Talk, Digi, U Mobile(?)...
- Upstairs, there's a Hotlink dealer shop.

City Square:
- You can find dealer shops for Hotlink, Celcom, Digi, U Mobile.

Outside City Square in the shophouses, there should be some dealers too...

Last edited:

SurGinG_IcE

Reaction score
Hey there..need u guys help..been in and out of malaysia a lot of times(always use sg sim card)but this is the first time im gonna buy their sim card as i will be driving up to penang via tuas at night in a week's time..where to buy and which one is good/better?probably usage is more for youtube for the kids on the go.. ur expertise is needed..thank you.

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey there..need u guys help..been in and out of malaysia a lot of times(always use sg sim card)but this is the first time im gonna buy their sim card as i will be driving up to penang via tuas at night in a week's time..where to buy and which one is good/better?probably usage is more for youtube for the kids on the go.. ur expertise is needed..thank you.
Am no expert, so just suggesting...

Grab a Digi Prepaid card, study the details in the link and past posts here for whatever info you may need. Depending on how much emphasis you put into paying the least and/or putting how much effort in getting that (I personally don't bother, just buy from whichever convenient place I find so long as I don't have to pay too much for extras), Digi Prepaid card dealers are all over Malaysia.

Other popular ones to consider are OneXOX and Hotlink RED Plan. Check their website for details to see which suits your needs, and also past posts here for tips.

Matrix21

Deluxe Member
Reaction score
anyone know for hotlink extend validity, it is still 1rm=1day extended? anyway to get extra validity days?

absoluthk

Reaction score
digi prepaid

i got a digi live with nice number and i planning to keep it for my infrequent trip.

since digi live need a subscription, what other plan i can switch to?

it seems that other plan required a subscription too?
i went thru the menu and found only 3 plans available
digi prepaid best
digi prepaid live
digi monthly 28

in short, i need a basic plan so i can subscribe to super long life.

Last edited:

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i got a digi live with nice number and i planning to keep it for my infrequent trip.

since digi live need a subscription, what other plan i can switch to?

it seems that other plan required a subscription too?
i went thru the menu and found only 3 plans available
digi prepaid best
digi prepaid live
digi monthly 28

in short, i need a basic plan so i can subscribe to super long life.

AFAIK, Digi Prepaid Best has more options for Super Long Life.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.