AFTERSHOCK PC - Now featuring Nvidia 10 series graphics cards!

fi5hbone

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just curious, who are the other Clevo resellers?

I guess if other factors improve, reasonable to increase price as well.

Reaction score
I'm actually waiting for Aftershock to bring in the new refreshed Clevo P751TM1.

But as someone as posted, Aftershock has been steadily increasing their price compared to other Clevo re-sellers.

Well, at least they ARE now bringing in the PB5 Chassis, but are quite choosy now as to the chassis options. They are actually bringing in the PB50EF-G chassis here under their new line: New Nova 15 Gaming Laptop

And the price increase could be attributed in part to the strengthening SGD currency against the places they import the parts from, which could also affect other mainstream brands as well.

chiaRH

Reaction score
i missed the news on the nova

good to see aftershock finally has a 15 inch machine with top of the line GPUs again, its way too long since the S15 had a proper successor (still dont think the W15 lite counts cos its GPU went no higher than 1060)

narkizy

Reaction score
Well, at least they ARE now bringing in the PB5 Chassis, but are quite choosy now as to the chassis options. They are actually bringing in the PB50EF-G chassis here under their new line: New Nova 15 Gaming Laptop

And the price increase could be attributed in part to the strengthening SGD currency against the places they import the parts from, which could also affect other mainstream brands as well.

As I already mentioned before, you can't simply compare prices in SG with prices OUTSIDE SG. If you said they charge more than other Clevo resellers IN SG, then yeah maybe you got a point. Do you see any other Clevo resellers in SINGAPORE? Alienware laptops are also cheaper in the USA. So are Dell laptops. And Asus laptops. Blame it on the big players themselves being assholes and pricing their own laptops so high in SG. Aftershock is simply following the pricing strat in SG while making sure their prices stay competitive in the LOCAL context. Their laptops are still cheaper than equivalently specced big brand laptops so your argument is essentially moot.

You go down that route, why not you ask why BMWs in Singapore cost 2x more than BMWs in Malaysia? Or why not we compare property prices in SG to property prices in Malaysia?

Last edited:

chiaRH

Reaction score
i checked the Nova's specs again and... 2.5 kilos is quite something, thats like half a kilo lighter than my old X15 back in 2012 and even the W-15 Lite would be around 200g heavier, wonder what they did to trim off all the weight, hopefully cooling capability not impacted

Shawshankredempti0n

Reaction score
As I already mentioned before, you can't simply compare prices in SG with prices OUTSIDE SG. If you said they charge more than other Clevo resellers IN SG, then yeah maybe you got a point. Do you see any other Clevo resellers in SINGAPORE? Alienware laptops are also cheaper in the USA. So are Dell laptops. And Asus laptops. Blame it on the big players themselves being assholes and pricing their own laptops so high in SG. Aftershock is simply following the pricing strat in SG while making sure their prices stay competitive in the LOCAL context. Their laptops are still cheaper than equivalently specced big brand laptops so your argument is essentially moot.

You go down that route, why not you ask why BMWs in Singapore cost 2x more than BMWs in Malaysia? Or why not we compare property prices in SG to property prices in Malaysia?

Why would you want to compare Car Tax and land size? Tsk.
Pointless post is pointless :vijayadmin:

Reaction score
i checked the Nova's specs again and... 2.5 kilos is quite something, thats like half a kilo lighter than my old X15 back in 2012 and even the W-15 Lite would be around 200g heavier, wonder what they did to trim off all the weight, hopefully cooling capability not impacted

Nova 15 pretty much similar in weight to the S-15 Series (2.50 kg vs 2.49kg barebones with battery) with a larger battery (66WHr Service Removable vs 60WHr non-removable).
Don't forget it is actually "thicker" in dimensions (29.9mm) making the thickness right between the two S-15 models of the previous GPU Generation (something I actually overlooked previously) with 29.9mm (Nova 15 with RTX2070) vs 25.4mm (S-15 with GTX1060) vs 34.9mm (S-15 with GTX1070)
So thickness wise: S-15 with GTX1060 < Nova 15 with RTX2070 < S-15 with GTX1070, so it's still an improvement in the thickness department of sorts for a strictly apple-to-apple comparison.

Another thing about the Nova is that they now only accept a single 2.5-inch 7mm HDD Drive compared to up to 2x 7mm HDDs or 1x normal 9.5mm HDD + 1x slim HDD for its direct predecessor the S-15 Series. RAM Slots are also down to just 2 dual-channel slots (from 4) for up to 32GB RAM. These may contribute to the weight considerations given that the fans are also using twin fans instead of the 2+1 combination, shedding extra weight in the process, although Aftershock claims to have bigger-sized fans built inside the Nova as a result.

Surprisingly it is STILL cheaper spec-for-spec against Asus's ROG Strix Scar II GL504GW retailing at SGD3,498. For SGD3,379 I can get these specs with the Nova 15:
- 500GB Samsung 970 Evo m.2 NVMe SSD
- 2TB Seagate Firecuda 5400rpm SSHD with 8GB NAND Cache
- 3 Year Carry-in Warranty for parts
- With other specs identical as the ROG Strix Scar II (i7-8750H + RTX2070 Max-P + 16GB DDR4 RAM), the Scar II model has only 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD and 1TB Seagate Firecuda SSHD for that price.

Last edited:

chiaRH

Reaction score
Nova 15 pretty much similar in weight to the S-15 Series (2.50 kg vs 2.49kg barebones with battery) with a larger battery (66WHr Service Removable vs 60WHr non-removable).
Don't forget it is actually "thicker" in dimensions (29.9mm) making the thickness right between the two S-15 models of the previous GPU Generation (something I actually overlooked previously) with 29.9mm (Nova 15 with RTX2070) vs 25.4mm (S-15 with GTX1060) vs 34.9mm (S-15 with GTX1070)
So thickness wise: S-15 with GTX1060 < Nova 15 with RTX2070 < S-15 with GTX1070, so it's still an improvement in the thickness department of sorts for a strictly apple-to-apple comparison.

Another thing about the Nova is that they now only accept a single 2.5-inch 7mm HDD Drive compared to up to 2x 7mm HDDs or 1x normal 9.5mm HDD + 1x slim HDD for its direct predecessor the S-15 Series. RAM Slots are also down to just 2 dual-channel slots (from 4) for up to 32GB RAM. These may contribute to the weight considerations given that the fans are also using twin fans instead of the 2+1 combination, shedding extra weight in the process, although Aftershock claims to have bigger-sized fans built inside the Nova as a result.

Surprisingly it is STILL cheaper spec-for-spec against Asus's ROG Strix Scar II GL504GW retailing at SGD3,498. For SGD3,379 I can get these specs with the Nova 15:
- 500GB Samsung 970 Evo m.2 NVMe SSD
- 2TB Seagate Firecuda 5400rpm SSHD with 8GB NAND Cache
- 3 Year Carry-in Warranty for parts
- With other specs identical as the ROG Strix Scar II (i7-8750H + RTX2070 Max-P + 16GB DDR4 RAM), the Scar II model has only 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD and 1TB Seagate Firecuda SSHD for that price.

Yeah I guess it makes more sense to compare with S15.

The 2 fans vs 3 fans thing I dont know how much weight discrepancy there really is. Looking at my S17 it has the 3 fans but the fans are quite slim in height

Knightoftheblackrose

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I suggest you go down to their showroom at Bendemeer Road to test out for yourself .

In terms of design , Apex looks much nicer . The monitor seems to be a more curvier widescreen.
The Slate is more angular in design .

However , I finally bought the Slate because the keyboard for Apex was really soft and squishy, like pressing on Tou Fu.
I really couldn’t stand typing on the Apex keyboard.

Really “Heng” that I went down personally to test and try out their laptops .

Same, can't decide between Apex or Slate 15 for getting one with RTX2060

Can anyone advise the difference between the Apex 15 and Slate 15? Which is better in terms of cooling? I play Dota and BF V

Last edited:

moofiee

Master Member
Reaction score
i noticed now slate come with "NVIDIA RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6 *Max Performance Edition*"
Whats the difference this and Max-Q??

chiaRH

Reaction score
i noticed now slate come with "NVIDIA RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6 *Max Performance Edition*"

thats just a normal 2060

the 2060 is the only non-max Q GPU choice offered with the slate, higher tiers only come in max Q

Knightoftheblackrose

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Max Q simply means that the power supply allowed has a maximum limit .
This will set a cap on the amount of overclocking allowed .

The 2060 has no such restrictions hence it can be overclocked and is thus called maximum performance.
This is in theory only .

The Slate has a slim laptop chassis design so I expect that the 2060 can only handle a bit of overclocking before it becomes unstable .

narkizy

Reaction score
Max Q simply means that the power supply allowed has a maximum limit .
This will set a cap on the amount of overclocking allowed .

The 2060 has no such restrictions hence it can be overclocked and is thus called maximum performance.
This is in theory only .

The Slate has a slim laptop chassis design so I expect that the 2060 can only handle a bit of overclocking before it becomes unstable .

You're misunderstanding laptop GPUs. No one overclocks laptop GPUs. Nor is there an option to. Sure, you can try on msi afterburner. If you want your temps to immediately jump to Tjunc of >100 degs and burn your laptop. The most you can and SHOULD be doing to a laptop GPU is undervolting it.

You could try on a desktop REPLACEMENT laptop, but definitely not a normal-class gaming laptop, let alone a slim laptop. Desktop replacement laptops are much larger and heavier(most hit 4-5kg) and have better thermal headroom to withstand overclocking.

its not a theory, its proven on numbers lol. Max Q runs cooler than full fat GPUs but at the cost of 10-20% performance. Manufacturers only ever offer 2080 in max Q on slim laptops because of the lower temps the Max Q powerlimiting brings.

Last edited:

Knightoftheblackrose

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I disagree .

I have been overclocking my Nvidia Laptop GPUs since the 460 GPU era.

You're misunderstanding laptop GPUs. No one overclocks laptop GPUs. Nor is there an option to. Sure, you can try on msi afterburner. If you want your temps to immediately jump to Tjunc of >100 degs and burn your laptop. The most you can and SHOULD be doing to a laptop GPU is undervolting it.

You could try on a desktop REPLACEMENT laptop, but definitely not a normal-class gaming laptop, let alone a slim laptop. Desktop replacement laptops are much larger and heavier(most hit 4-5kg) and have better thermal headroom to withstand overclocking.

its not a theory, its proven on numbers lol. Max Q runs cooler than full fat GPUs but at the cost of 10-20% performance. Manufacturers only ever offer 2080 in max Q on slim laptops because of the lower temps the Max Q powerlimiting brings.

namezlezz

Reaction score
Hi Aftershock fans, I am considering getting the MX-15 with GTX 1050 but i am not sure if it can play dota 2 smoothly at 60fps, which is a big deal for me. Anyone has any experience with this ?

narkizy

Reaction score
I disagree .

I have been overclocking my Nvidia Laptop GPUs since the 460 GPU era.

Sure. You could try that with a normal gtx 1060 laptop and let me know how it goes. Just dont blame me if it catches fire. GTX 460 =/= GTX 10 series, unless you got numbers and videos to prove your miraculous overclocking, I'm not buying it. I stand by my statement. Its an incredibly dangerous move that could burn the laptop mobo.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.