Should my daughter get the laptop form IT show or from Poly?

asnnlim

Reaction score
Hi
I need to buy a light laptop for my daughter 1st year in poly , should i get from her poly or from IT show.Budget $2K and below, anyone can advise?

Godbrother

Reaction score
Hi
I need to buy a light laptop for my daughter 1st year in poly , should i get from her poly or from IT show.Budget $2K and below, anyone can advise?

What diploma does your daughter study? If she studies diploma for business or accountancy, chances is that she dont need a very high-end laptop to do her poly work

Best is if you can compare the prices between IT show brochures, Poly laptop brochures and online prices like lazada and shopee.

Slowdown

Master Member
Reaction score
Poly deals are generally better for value unless your child does not like the limited models on offer. For a start the poly deals have longer warranty even if you pay the same price outside.

So the answer is that you only get outside the poly when there is no suitable model. When my child was in Poly and we were selecting a MacBook she wanted something more. I told her she choose the best within the poly deals. Life sucks.

iAHBEE

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
not sure if it's the same now, but based on prev experience poly sets easier for u or ur child to manage since any image would be configured before you bring it back during the point of sale..

also longer warranty period

lordofshanghai

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i will buy from poly too.. the support from poly usually is better, depends on which poly your daughter is from. Singapore poly used to have an laptop department to assist..
prices also more competitive, my personal 3 cents

kanashii23

Reaction score
get from poly unless she don't like the model, got 3 years warranty and pay abit more for unneeded higher spec like i7 or else look at microsoft offer for IT show. the surface laptop 2 $1608 and pro 6(i5) $1687 is not a bad deal but you need to add on $200 for microsoft complete.

end up poly laptop still better value.

Last edited:

Godbrother

Reaction score
oh to add on, laptops sold in poly usually already come with the necessary software eg. microsoft office

asnnlim

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for all the help. she is studying at Ngee ann poly common engineering program for her PFP. Need window base laptop

rvyne7

Reaction score
What you get from IT shows this days are those just bunch of freebies like external HD, usb dongle and etc. price wise not really cheaper not worth your trouble.

Yuripa

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
LG gram 14 white 256gb 8gb ram
997 gram only + won hwz ultra portable laptop award for 2018 + 490 mins of long battery life, don't have to carry around charger on a day to day basis.
EnhlELnl.jpg

Free 43" LG smart tv
1 yr ms office subscription
1 yr anti virus
2 yrs warranty
LG laptop sleeve

Harvey Norman $1,599/-
If need more storage, just check with the LG promoters for more details.

Sent from Tokyo-3 (NERV) using GAGT

Last edited:

jianlee

Master Member
Reaction score
Yes better buy in Poly, better support. Last time, I go buy outside, so much problem.

And one more thing, beware of ASUS!

my ASUS UX notebook, chronic screen problem, ASUS service center can't fix and keep dragging till warranty over.

Matrock5

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mine send in check do diagnostics tell me everything ok except hard disk. Bring back sound card spoil. Knn don’t buy ASUS

Yes better buy in Poly, better support. Last time, I go buy outside, so much problem.

And one more thing, beware of ASUS!

my ASUS UX notebook, chronic screen problem, ASUS service center can't fix and keep dragging till warranty over.

leinad

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I think people are a bit outdated in their information. It's not necessarily true that the poly laptops are better deals now.

Also, almost all the Polytechnics I know have a Microsoft license, so students can bring their own devices to get Office, and probably all the relevant software.

For families with a tighter budgets, the IT show laptops are actually quite competitive. You can probably get decently spec'd laptops at under 1.3k from the IT show or external vendors. Just set it up, bring to school within the first week to the IT department to get the relevant software for the course, and off you go.

In the past with the vendors providing the software (Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative suite are the usual suspects), yes the value of the laptops in the Poly is high. Now, if you browse the relevant IT sites, you'll find it surprisingly not much cheaper. As for better support, all you get from the Poly at best is to drop your laptop there and they will send it for you and the wait times are very long. But if you send it yourself to the service centres, you'll actually get a quicker turnaround.

I've helped friends kids in the past 2 years try to procure laptops. We've found it to be generally false that the Poly is better value.

/Dan

Last edited:

ronnie_gogs

Reaction score

asnnlim

Reaction score
Really thanks for the effort to reply ,I later will accompany my daughter to her poly look see the laptop first and will drop by IT show to look around, nowadays young people not only want fast laptop but also must look nice too.:s22:

asnnlim

Reaction score
I am looking at the Acer Swift 5 sold by her poly as it's very light,
The Spec as below
8th gen Intel® Core™ i7-8565U processor (Up to 4.6GHz, 8MB smart cache)
Windows 10 Home(64-bit)
15.6” FHD IPS LED-backlit Narrow Bezel Multi-Touch Display
Intel UHD Graphics 620
8GB DDR4 RAM, 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD
Intel® Wireless-AC with Gigabit Wi-Fi, supporting 2x2 MU-MIMO
Bluetooth 5.0
0.99kg
3 Years On-Site Warranty

lachesis

Reaction score
Is the dell student discount cheaper than at IT show? No price listed must send in enquiry, dunno when then reply

Yuripa

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am looking at the Acer Swift 5 sold by her poly as it's very light,
The Spec as below
8th gen Intel® Core™ i7-8565U processor (Up to 4.6GHz, 8MB smart cache)
Windows 10 Home(64-bit)
15.6” FHD IPS LED-backlit Narrow Bezel Multi-Touch Display
Intel UHD Graphics 620
8GB DDR4 RAM, 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD
Intel® Wireless-AC with Gigabit Wi-Fi, supporting 2x2 MU-MIMO
Bluetooth 5.0
0.99kg
3 Years On-Site Warranty
Battery life cmi.

Rule of thumb - www.amazon.com

Search laptop from there and read all reviews for a clearer picture of any laptop you target and weigh the overall pros and cons b4 making a decision.

As for why I chose LG gram 14 (2018) -

1. Light weight (less than 1kg)
2. Longest battery life in the market by almost 2 times as compared to other competitors (currently), so I do not have to bring additional cables to addon to my weight load.
3. Hardware zone 2018 award winner for ultra portable laptop.
4. Overall positive reviews from genuine / current LG gram 14 users (found on Amazon).

All the best in getting a good laptop for your daughter, you're a really awesome dad!!

asnnlim

Reaction score
Battery life cmi.

Rule of thumb - www.amazon.com

Search laptop from there and read all reviews for a clearer picture of any laptop you target and weigh the overall pros and cons b4 making a decision.

As for why I chose LG gram 14 (2018) -

1. Light weight (less than 1kg)
2. Longest battery life in the market by almost 2 times as compared to other competitors (currently), so I do not have to bring additional cables to addon to my weight load.
3. Hardware zone 2018 award winner for ultra portable laptop.
4. Overall positive reviews from genuine / current LG gram 14 users (found on Amazon).

All the best in getting a good laptop for your daughter, you're a really awesome dad!!

She saw the White gram 14 and she like it very much, only problem now is whether the spec suit her course. School requirements is Intel I5(I7 recommmended )8GB Ram 512MB video Ram ,so the I5 one enough for her?do she need a dedicated graphite card?sorry for so many question as first time daughter need laptop for schooling

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.