Secure your Router - DIR-868L

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hey folks, had this router since 2016. In recent weeks, wired connection and wifi starting to act up. Keeps rebooting on its own and whatnot.

I decided to upgrade the firmware to 1.21 and now it seems to have gotten worst. Is this a hardware issue or settings issue? (almost everything is at default settings).

Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

Suggest to contact DLink support 6501 4200 when you are with the router.

Inform the tech support on your issue and for them to assist you further.

They may provide you the link to the firmware and guide you thru the whole process on re-updating the firmware versions 1.10 and 1.21 accordingly.

After completed the above process and do check for any intermittent connection.

If there is do contact Starhub 1633 direct to broadband tech support to assist you.

For intermittent connection they would have to refresh or reset your IP if there are issues such as possible of conflict in IP Address.

uncle_josh

Reaction score
B4 you call Dlink, try perform factory reset.

Happens to me b4, I tried about 3 or 4 times , after that I is ok.

However if after 3 or 4 factory reset still fail, its about time to replace the router.

Lastly if you are on Starhub fibre, pls switch to using 3rd Party DNS eg Cloudflare or OpenDNS.

gld998

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anybuttie tried freshtomato firmware on this router?

Tomato firmware is working. Just Google steps. No VPN server cause no space.:s22: don't forget to downgrade to v1.00 original firmware b4 flash

Zon

Master Member
Reaction score

warehaws

Reaction score
use the repeater bridge in ddwrt.
so far, only 30432 is stable for repeater setup

which version of quarksg are u using?
the lastest and previous seems to brick my 868l

I am looking for a stable version which WDS works.
anyone can recommend please?

curryloti

Reaction score
anybuttie tried freshtomato firmware on this router?

Tomato firmware is working. Just Google steps. No VPN server cause no space.:s22: don't forget to downgrade to v1.00 original firmware b4 flash

Did you or anyone try out FreshTomato in the end?

Although nice, the last shibby tomato 1.40 firmware is ~ 2 years old now and no longer actively updated. Seem unable to find any written guide flashing over to FT from shibby tomato 1.40.

From reading, AdvancedTomato can't do direct flashing but no easy info about this FT fork.

curryloti

Reaction score
Seem unable to find any written guide flashing over to FT from shibby tomato 1.40.

Can answer this myself after more reading and research - just simply do a flash upgrade from within the shibby UI.

Now my test set is finally running on the latest version of FreshTomato.

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Can answer this myself after more reading and research - just simply do a flash upgrade from within the shibby UI.

Now my test set is finally running on the latest version of FreshTomato.

Is the wireless performance good when on Tomato?

Last time I tried the shibby version, but didn't like the weaker wireless performance (maybe due to the wireless drivers on the firmware) and flashed back to stock.

tank_t

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Used 1 d link years back. Super unstable. Never get any after.

curryloti

Reaction score
For this router, best is still the stock firmware from Starhub
Probably a lot of truth there cos it is easy to rather brick this router playing with 3rd party firmware due to overloading the small amt of onboard nvram. Still, it was fun tinkering with it nonetheless. :D

Just did it to one set while trying to apply shadowandy's adblocking script, it rebooted to a blinking power LED and was stuck there at the recovery mode.

Anyone knows where to get a USB-TTL adapter to clear the nvram?

curryloti

Reaction score
Yeah, tried that way before and it worked, just not this time.

It is definitely stuck at the recovery page at 192.168.0.1, accepts the firmware file but goes back to the recovery page. So it probably needs to clear the nvram via serial pins.

curryloti

Reaction score
For anyone else interested in serial recovery, check out these links
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1060677
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=974411#974411

ziddey said:
You will need a serial connection in order to flash this. USB TTL cables are cheap. If you don't want to wait weeks for shipping from China, this one is available via Prime at $7: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QT7LQ88

To open the router, you'll need to remove the rubber feet on the bottom to expose 3 screws. Then, you'll need to remove the circular sticker up top (it's a very sturdy piece of plastic and can be removed easily without damage). Underneath is another 3 screws.

Then you can separate the case and find the serial connection between the two LEDs: * ***

Connect the green wire to the first one, the black to the 3rd (in between the cluster of 3), and the white to the rightmost one. Unless you have a high wattage iron, you may have difficulty with the ground (black) one. Feel free to use any ground if necessary. The red wire does not need to be attached.

Use 115200/8/N/1, and keep trying ctrl+c on powerup. You should land at CFE> if successful.

Now, issue: flash -noheader : flash1.trx

Timing is critical and you may need to try a few times to get it. Set your ip static to 192.168.1.2/255.255.255.0 and tftp your firmware of choice.

So far, I've only tried shibby's tomato, and everything seems to work well except for 5ghz.

edit: flashed the stock dlink a1 firmware and still no 5ghz. I downloaded the openrg firmware (.rms file) but don't know how to flash this. Any tips would be appreciated.

update 20160204:
To fix 5ghz on OOL devices (and possibly B1?):
Code:
nvram unset devpath1
nvram commit
reboot

devz3ro said:
flow control to none in putty

Now off to ordering a USB-TTL adapter and pogo pins online... :s22:

Christyles

Reaction score
Unable to upgrade to DD-WRT Firmware

Can anyone advise me on this? My current version is 1.22SHC and using Hardware Version A1. I'm trying to flash from Factory to DD-WRT first. I tried the latest firmware even the old firmware but it doesn't seem to work. This site says https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/D-Link_DIR-868L it should change the IP to 192.168.1.1 but it's still the same 192.168.0.1 for me.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.