*Official* BBCWatcher club

pmstudent

Reaction score
All Seasons (Growth) for the lowest TER of 0.50% with higher equities component than the Standard version. It does include 30% bonds though

If you don't want the bonds, you can go for Infinity Global (TER 0.81%). Infinity US 500 has a lower TER of 0.72% but is not as diversified.

Thanks Tangent.
Will go for Infinity Global despite the higher TER,for 100% equity exposure.
For SRS which is long term in nature, makes perfect sense for full equity because over the long run, equity outperforms bond. Furthermore, SRS prevent me from panic selling during market crashes,which is a big plus.

ftpofmpo

Banned
Reaction score
Hi BBCWatcher,

If we have an LLC in the states, as an alien non-resident how do you recommend we optimise our tax returns and do you recommend any tax filing software?

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If we have an LLC in the states, as an alien non-resident how do you recommend we optimise our tax returns and do you recommend any tax filing software?
I don't have any specific recommendations in either event. The U.S. LLC is often constructed partly for tax reasons, already.

RonnieB1

Reaction score
Insurance terminating question

Hi BBWC

Hope to get your input again

I have whole insurance policies (ILPs) some with critical illness riders (bought at a time when it was in vogue but ill advised)
I have been holding them for >20 years . I will be off full time work soon and am 63 and may not want to continue with the premiums.
would you cash out from the policies and if so how would you do it ?
take the full surrender sum or take a max ?loan and let the policy run out ?

Your advice would be much appreciated

tangent314

Reaction score
If you post the latest Revised Benefits Illustration for the policies, we may be able to calculate for you which ones may be worth keeping and which ones may not.

power789

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi, read through many pages and did a lot of search and reading n ready to jump into us stocks with $100k, learnt from Shiny and BBC that should not over invest in only SG market. Thinking back, really missed lots of US stocks opportunity.....

Would like to see your advise too, understand this thread is meant for u.

I am interested in IWDA and S&P for a start.

1. If I get it through LSE via SCB is 15% dividends witholding tax rite?

2. For S&P, I am confused as it seems there are lots of ETF tracking S&P like vanguard, blackrock...etc. It appears after research that CSPX is a good fund under blackrock to track S&P?

3. I also saw some posts suggesting that I should not have all ETF from a single provider like blackrock, should also diversify from fund provider. Are there any S&P funds under Vanguard which is also under LSE so I can dodge the 30% witholding tax? If yes, which one is recommended?

4. What other ETF providers are the recommended ones? I mostly see blackrock and vanguard only.

5. I have been watching these IWDA and S&P for some time, seems like it keeps going up. Should I wait for a dip to purchase?

Thanks for advice.

JuniorLion

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I also saw some posts suggesting that I should not have all ETF from a single provider like blackrock, should also diversify from fund provider. Are there any S&P funds under Vanguard which is also under LSE so I can dodge the 30% witholding tax? If yes, which one is recommended?

LON: VUSD is your Vanguard version of S&P500.

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just bear in mind that IWDA (or VWRD) already have a large fraction -- more than half, actually -- invested in U.S. listed/traded stocks. I don't think there's any need to "double up."

RonnieB1

Reaction score
Hi BBCW/ tangent

Thanks will try to collate them
Do you guys know of any financial adviser who is good for insurance advice non insurance co guys.
I really need an independant assessment of my policies
I do not mind a fee based assessment . If it is too sensitive please send me a private email
Thanks so much as always

elisee1

Reaction score
For young adults who taking up a HDB loan (2.6% pa) to buy a BTO, it's always a good idea to use any spare cash to pay off the principal amount of the BTO loan right, rather than proceed with my usual etf investing, right?

Let's say someone has a windfall of $10,000 cash. Possible moves are:

Pay off principal amount with 10,000: Approximately $260 savings from future interest payments (2.6% pa loan rate from HDB)

Don't pay off principal amount, buy risk free product like SSB: Approximately $200 gains from ssb (2% pa SSB dividends)

(I try to make the comparison fair by comparing paying off a fixed rate home mortgage to buying a risk free product. Because paying off mortgage early = risk free way of reducing future interest payments, is this fair to say?)

Reaction score
Hi BBCW,

My portfolio is now 50-20-30 IWDA-ES3-SSB. IWDA I try to DCA every month. ES3 I accumulate to buy every half year as SCB have $10 min charge. Does this make sense? May I ask if there's a good template of spreadsheet I can/should use to track my investments? I now try key in every detail but not too sure what are the impt things as I DCA in.

Thanks a lot!

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My portfolio is now 50-20-30 IWDA-ES3-SSB. IWDA I try to DCA every month. ES3 I accumulate to buy every half year as SCB have $10 min charge. Does this make sense?
It can make sense, sure. You're a little bond heavy (especially when consider CPF inflows) if you're in your accumulation years -- under age 55, for example.

A simple list of assets and account numbers is important for survivors, and keep monthly/annual account statements. Beyond that, don't worry about it.

power789

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi BBC,

LON: VUSD is your Vanguard version of S&P500. What is the difference between VUSD vs CSPX?

You wrote: IWDA (or VWRD) , is there a difference between these 2?

Yup, I plan to over weigh on US stocks, so want to go with IWDA and S&P combo.

MrHighlander

Master Member
Reaction score
Overweight when the US is at the longest bull run ever ? Caution

Hi BBC,

LON: VUSD is your Vanguard version of S&P500. What is the difference between VUSD vs CSPX?

You wrote: IWDA (or VWRD) , is there a difference between these 2?

Yup, I plan to over weigh on US stocks, so want to go with IWDA and S&P combo.

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Planning to retire soon? Concerned about retirement finances? You might want to consider retiring outside Singapore. International Living suggests the following retirement countries (their “top 10” in this order): Panama, Costa Rica, Mexico, Ecuador, Malaysia, Colombia, Portugal, Peru, Thailand, and Spain.

I’d caution that countries and immigration policies can change quickly, so you’ll probably want to maintain a basic “escape hatch” that allows moving back to the country where you have an unrestricted right of abode. However, even if you end up spending 10 or 20 years elsewhere then return, you can often stretch your retirement dollars further.

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Planning to retire soon? Concerned about retirement finances? You might want to consider retiring outside Singapore. International Living suggests the following retirement countries (their “top 10” in this order): Panama, Costa Rica, Mexico, Ecuador, Malaysia, Colombia, Portugal, Peru, Thailand, and Spain.

I’d caution that countries and immigration policies can change quickly, so you’ll probably want to maintain a basic “escape hatch” that allows moving back to the country where you have an unrestricted right of abode. However, even if you end up spending 10 or 20 years elsewhere then return, you can often stretch your retirement dollars further.

such surveys probably score the cost of healthcare rather than the quality of healthcare. I would not be surprised if the 'elite' of those countries go to Singapore or other developed countries for their healthcare :s13:

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
such surveys probably score the cost of healthcare rather than the quality of healthcare.
No, not usually. You can check the original survey for details on their methodologies, but generally they include healthcare quality as a scoring factor. If they didn't then you'd probably see some extremely low cost of living countries in Africa and Asia appear on their list, but that's not what happened.

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No, not usually. You can check the original survey for details on their methodologies, but generally they include healthcare quality as a scoring factor. If they didn't then you'd probably see some extremely low cost of living countries in Africa and Asia appear on their list, but that's not what happened.

I think Portugal , Costa Rica , Thailand are definitely candidates for retirement. Malaysia, only because you can go back to Singapore.... like the guy who got shot in Malaysia and drove into Singapore with gunshot wound for treatment .

But I would want my retirement country to have a certain healthcare standard so maybe not the others...

First rank: WHO - Health System Performance
Second rank: Lancet 2018 - Healthcare Access and Quality Index
Both studies looked at 190+ countries.
Singapore: rank 6 / 22
Portugal rank 12 /32
Costa rica: rank 36 /62
Thailand: rank 47 / 76
Malaysia: rank 49 / 84
Mexico: rank 61 / 91
Panama: rank 95 / 82
Ecuador: rank 111 / 101

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think Portugal , Costa Rica , Thailand are definitely candidates for retirement. Malaysia, only because you can go back to Singapore.... like the guy who got shot in Malaysia and drove into Singapore with gunshot wound for treatment .

But I would want my retirement country to have a certain healthcare standard so maybe not the others...

First rank: WHO - Health System Performance
Second rank: Lancet 2018 - Healthcare Access and Quality Index
Both studies looked at 190+ countries.
Singapore: rank 6 / 22
Portugal rank 12 /32
Costa rica: rank 36 /62
Thailand: rank 47 / 76
Malaysia: rank 49 / 84
Mexico: rank 61 / 91
Panama: rank 95 / 82
Ecuador: rank 111 / 101

These indexes are averages and mean nothing for individuals. In fact you if you have the money you have better chances of getting top class healthcare in low cost country than the waiting period in a 1st world country.

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
These indexes are averages and mean nothing for individuals. In fact you if you have the money you have better chances of getting top class healthcare in low cost country than the waiting period in a 1st world country.

then how to explain so many 'elite' including political leaders and their relatives from developing countries coming to SG for medical treatment? =:p

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.