Malaysia and Indonesia DTV reception

joshhd

Reaction score
@joshhd
If you click on the link to download the pdf document, you can see on p.19 & 20 that Batam is transmitting on Ch 28 at a power of 2Kw. Those transmitters on Sumatra and elsewhere are too far away from sg. This is clearly shown on p. 18.

Needless to say, this is the only frequency/channel that we can hope to receive.
What are the channels available on Ch28 (530MHz)? For Indonesia DTT, are they like Malaysia, where they sandwiched all channels into one frequency, which is Ch28 530MHz?

Or, is Batam already transmitting DTT signals anyway? Cuz it seems like Indonesia are having lots of conflict over the migration to DTT, which causes the delay in ASO.

Shion

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
Transmitter at Taman Sentosa
uoFr4th1rE5Gm6S57dRacHh9aAWMtXF3Lsrxm7RBHfq8sOGyghruF3fukUYPcFmC53n8ZOujWPKK2NYOWjpP-xD1dcf7CUSW9YkaY6tuqVTPQxyYylTbkieTHSHy1YFSaw=s16383

The building at Taman Sentosa belongs to TM, which is in dispute with MYTV. That explains the interuption to the reception of digital tv.

No wonder. And yes, the hanging problem started during last year's year end.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
What are the channels available on Ch28 (530MHz)? For Indonesia DTT, are they like Malaysia, where they sandwiched all channels into one frequency, which is Ch28 530MHz?
Yes, both use the DVB-T2 technology, so as you say, many channels are sandwiched in one channel/frequency.

Or, is Batam already transmitting DTT signals anyway? Cuz it seems like Indonesia are having lots of conflict over the migration to DTT, which causes the delay in ASO.
Unknown until we receive user feedback.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Reading all these threads got me interested. In the past football world cup I would use an amplified analog antenna to tune to RTM but the reception and image quality can be a bit iffy.
You can try Batam RCTI (Ch 43 analogue) and SCTV (Ch 47 analogue). See my post #150.

How is the reception using digital signal from MY channels?
Bad to impossible as observed by many in this thread. Reason explained in post #155 and confirmed by mrclubbie.

Shion

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
You can try Batam RCTI (Ch 43 analogue) and SCTV (Ch 47 analogue). See my post #150.

Bad to impossible as observed by many in this thread. Reason explained in post #155 and confirmed by mrclubbie.

Interesting. I re-positioned my antenna and used another one (pic below) and managed to receive malaysian channels, but the signal intensity is around 20%. Possible the transmission power has been reduced ?

Then I noted that there seems to be a problem with my NMS antenna ? The signal quality and intensity for local channels have dropped to around 50%.

I proceed to use my old antenna, and both signal quality and intensity for the local channels jump back to close to 100%.
Both antennas placed at same position.
YoISP4R.jpg

Hmm ?

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I re-positioned my antenna and used another one (pic below) and managed to receive malaysian channels, but the signal intensity is around 20%. Possible the transmission power has been reduced ?

Then I noted that there seems to be a problem with my NMS antenna ? The signal quality and intensity for local channels have dropped to around 50%.

I proceed to use my old antenna, and both signal quality and intensity for the local channels jump back to close to 100%.
Both antennas placed at same position.
YoISP4R.jpg

Hmm ?
Thanks for the update!! But I am confused by the terms "my antenna" and "my old antenna"? Are they the same antenna? With pic or name please I attempt to comment further.

Basically I think the built-in balun in the NMS antenna is faulty. More technical explanations to follow after clarification.

Shion

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks for the update!! But I am confused by the terms "my antenna" and "my old antenna"? Are they the same antenna? With pic or name please I attempt to comment further.

Basically I think the built-in balun in the NMS antenna is faulty. More technical explanations to follow after clarification.

Antenna A, NMS:
dW8Xmzn.png

Antenna B, (whats this called, loop antenna ?)
YoISP4R.jpg

Re-positioned Antenna A along my window, no luck for MY channels, and signal intensity + quality for SG channels drop to ~50% when I place it back to its original spot.

Changed to Antenna B, re-positioned along my window and received MY channels, but signal intensity ~20%, so it appears that transmission power has been reduced ?

And my antenna B picking up near 100% signal quality + intensity for SG channels

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Antenna A, NMS:
dW8Xmzn.png

Antenna B, (whats this called, loop antenna ?)
YoISP4R.jpg

Re-positioned Antenna A along my window, no luck for MY channels, and signal intensity + quality for SG channels drop to ~50% when I place it back to its original spot.

Changed to Antenna B, re-positioned along my window and received MY channels, but signal intensity ~20%, so it appears that transmission power has been reduced ?

And my antenna B picking up near 100% signal quality + intensity for SG channels
Thanks for the clarifications. Let's call your antenna B Mestic Dapat (MD).

While it is not possible to see through the intestine of NMS, it appears to me, based on the outline, that it is a folded dipole antenna, same as MD (see pic below).

attachment.php

Actual performance between the two antenna may vary slightly because of dimensional differences and the physical diameter of the tube/conductor. But it may not be critical.

From your observations, I am convinced that the balun in the NMS is faulty. The purpose of a balun is for max signal transfer. A faulty one affects both signal strength, and standing wave ratio (swr) which has an impact on picture quality.

If you received MY digital channels previously with much better than 20% signal strength using the MD in exactly the same spot and orientation, then it can be concluded that the transmission power has dropped, or perhaps the coverage area has been adjusted. Another possibility is that the signal path (not necessarily in direct line of sight) may have been affected by new buildings/structures.

Shion

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
Hi mrsun18, thanks for the explanations :)

Thanks for the clarifications. Let's call your antenna B Mestic Dapat (MD).

While it is not possible to see through the intestine of NMS, it appears to me, based on the outline, that it is a folded dipole antenna, same as MD (see pic below).

attachment.php

Actual performance between the two antenna may vary slightly because of dimensional differences and the physical diameter of the tube/conductor. But it may not be critical.

From your observations, I am convinced that the balun in the NMS is faulty. The purpose of a balun is for max signal transfer. A faulty one affects both signal strength, and standing wave ratio (swr) which has an impact on picture quality.

I guess it is time to get a better antenna instead ? :)

A Funke perhaps, or those cheap antenna <$5 I saw on Shopee (they are smaller in size - space constraint hence previously I chose to use NMS's instead of the bulkier MD) ?

If you received MY digital channels previously with much better than 20% signal strength using the MD in exactly the same spot and orientation, then it can be concluded that the transmission power has dropped, or perhaps the coverage area has been adjusted. Another possibility is that the signal path (not necessarily in direct line of sight) may have been affected by new buildings/structures.

Everything happened suddenly.

On 11/03 I could still receive the MY channels and since 12/03 the signal's totally shut already.

I guess even if use other antennas also cannot get the channels in the original spot and orientation ?

Last edited:

joshhd

Reaction score
Yes, both use the DVB-T2 technology, so as you say, many channels are sandwiched in one channel/frequency.

Unknown until we receive user feedback.

No harm to try:

Frequency Indonesia Station Name
24 UHF (digital) RCTI,*MNCTV,*Global TV,*iNews TV
32 UHF (digital) MetroTV
34 UHF (digital) tvOne,*antv,*Sport One
36 UHF (digital) BeritaSatu TV Jakarta
40 UHF (digital) Trans TV,*Trans7,*Kompas TV National
42 UHF (digital) TVRI Nasional,*TVRI Jakarta,*TVRI Budaya,*TVRI Olahraga
44 UHF (digital) SCTV,*Indosiar,*O Channel
48 UHF (digital) Rajawali Televisi

Good luck.....
Is it just Batam, or entire Indonesia uses 1 mux nationwide, or only selected states/province in Indonesia?

Then how about what Durian Shell said?
Practically speaking, is it even possible for Batam to transmit these DTT frequencies mentioned above at this point of time? Cuz these DTT frequencies mentioned seems to clash with existing Malaysian and Indonesia analogue TV frequencies.

And as what I know, especially after Singapore allocated frequencies onwards (>610MHz), Indonesia's Batam are on odd channel number, Malaysia is on even channel number. It is to prevent adjacent channel interference.
Example:
Indonesia CH 39, 41, 43, 45, 47
Malaysia: CH 40, 42, 44, 46, 48

This is proven to be true from current Indonesia Batam's analogue TV frequencies.

It is quite opposite than what Durian Shell mentioned... So I wonder where did Durian Shell got those frequencies from. Are those frequencies is for other parts of Indonesia, or what?

joshhd

Reaction score

On 11/03 I could still receive the MY channels and since 12/03 the signal's totally shut already.

I guess even if use other antennas also cannot get the channels in the original spot and orientation ?
Why not consider active antenna?

The thing is, as long the Indonesia's analogue TV station, SCTV and Southern Johor's DTT frequency kept interfere with each other, causing co-channel interference, this reason will always be the main culprit on why some viewers could not receive Malaysia DTT channels.

Indonesia SCTV analogue: 679.25MHz (675.25MHz-683.25MHz)
Malaysia DTT mux: 682MHz (678MHz-686MHz)

See the frequency clash there from the frequency range?

And not just in Singapore, some viewers in Southern Johor could not even receive Malaysia DTT channels properly and easily, and can only receive Singapore DTT channels.
Stay in Malaysia, but can only receive Singapore TV channels.

Indonesia's TV tower transmit power (particularly Batam) isn't as high as Malaysia and Singapore's. Which also explains that not many viewers in Southern Johor can receive Indonesian analogue TV channels easily.

You could consider yourself lucky that if you can receive Malaysia DTT channels in Singapore, that maybe because so happen Indonesia's SCTV analogue TV signal are weak in your area.

That's why the best we all can hope is, Indonesia to shut down analogue TV as soon as possible (or at least in phases, start with Batam first), then Singaporeans can hope to be able to receive Malaysian DTT channels easily without any potential harmful interference.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score

A Funke perhaps, or those cheap antenna <$5 I saw on Shopee (they are smaller in size - space constraint hence previously I chose to use NMS's instead of the bulkier MD) ?

A "better" antenna means one that works. But since the transmission is so erratic, one with a good specs may not work. While one that is not so impressive and cheaper may be good when the "mood" of the signal is good. When there is no transmission, the question becomes irrelevant.

As I said before, you only know after you have tried them out.

Shion

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
Why not consider active antenna?

The thing is, as long the Indonesia's analogue TV station, SCTV and Southern Johor's DTT frequency kept interfere with each other, causing co-channel interference, this reason will always be the main culprit on why some viewers could not receive Malaysia DTT channels.

Indonesia SCTV analogue: 679.25MHz (675.25MHz-683.25MHz)
Malaysia DTT mux: 682MHz (678MHz-686MHz)

See the frequency clash there from the frequency range?

And not just in Singapore, some viewers in Southern Johor could not even receive Malaysia DTT channels properly and easily, and can only receive Singapore DTT channels.
Stay in Malaysia, but can only receive Singapore TV channels.

Indonesia's TV tower transmit power (particularly Batam) isn't as high as Malaysia and Singapore's. Which also explains that not many viewers in Southern Johor can receive Indonesian analogue TV channels easily.

You could consider yourself lucky that if you can receive Malaysia DTT channels in Singapore, that maybe because so happen Indonesia's SCTV analogue TV signal are weak in your area.

That's why the best we all can hope is, Indonesia to shut down analogue TV as soon as possible (or at least in phases, start with Batam first), then Singaporeans can hope to be able to receive Malaysian DTT channels easily without any potential harmful interference.

Previously under analogue, I can receive SCTV and RCTI directly from the rooftop antenna, together with Malaysia's RTM2, TV3, 8TV, NTV7, Channel 9

Thanks for the info !

Shion

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
A "better" antenna means one that works. But since the transmission is so erratic, one with a good specs may not work. While one that is not so impressive and cheaper may be good when the "mood" of the signal is good. When there is no transmission, the question becomes irrelevant.

As I said before, you only know after you have tried them out.

Thanks a lot for your assistance :)

joshhd

Reaction score
Previously under analogue, I can receive SCTV and RCTI directly from the rooftop antenna, together with Malaysia's RTM2, TV3, 8TV, NTV7, Channel 9

Thanks for the info !
Okay, but how about now?
If you can't receive Malaysia's DTT channels, that probably because of the interference between SCTV and Malaysia DTT.

Which city you living in?
Is your rooftop antenna facing towards Malaysia, which is north or northwest (if stay in eastern Singapore)? Try realign it and see if you can receive Malaysia digital TV channels. If after doing so still can't get anything, then hmm, try using a signal booster perhaps? Although signal booster (masthead amplifier) doesn't seem to be commonly used in Singapore...

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Is it just Batam, or entire Indonesia uses 1 mux nationwide, or only selected states/province in Indonesia?

Then how about what Durian Shell said?
Practically speaking, is it even possible for Batam to transmit these DTT frequencies mentioned above at this point of time? Cuz these DTT frequencies mentioned seems to clash with existing Malaysian and Indonesia analogue TV frequencies.
The info of 1 mux nationwide is based on the ITU pdf document. You have to decide on the reliability of the info.

And as what I know, especially after Singapore allocated frequencies onwards (>610MHz), Indonesia's Batam are on odd channel number, Malaysia is on even channel number. It is to prevent adjacent channel interference.
Example:
Indonesia CH 39, 41, 43, 45, 47
Malaysia: CH 40, 42, 44, 46, 48

This is proven to be true from current Indonesia Batam's analogue TV frequencies.

It is quite opposite than what Durian Shell mentioned... So I wonder where did Durian Shell got those frequencies from. Are those frequencies is for other parts of Indonesia, or what?
For your reference here is another link for details of transmitters in sg, including transmission power. From there there are further links to Indonesian and Malaysian transmitters. Do note the details may not be up-to-date and some are incorrect.

https://www.asiawaves.net/singapore-tv.htm

Shion

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
Okay, but how about now?
If you can't receive Malaysia's DTT channels, that probably because of the interference between SCTV and Malaysia DTT.

Which city you living in?
Is your rooftop antenna facing towards Malaysia, which is north or northwest (if stay in eastern Singapore)? Try realign it and see if you can receive Malaysia digital TV channels. If after doing so still can't get anything, then hmm, try using a signal booster perhaps? Although signal booster (masthead amplifier) doesn't seem to be commonly used in Singapore...

2 days ago I could still receive, but the signal totally gone on 12/03.

I am not using rooftop antenna to receive digital channels.

Had to adjust the position using another antenna to receive the MY channels (unless I hold onto the antenna while watching TV, else the new position is not convenient)...

This NMS antenna comes with a USB component. Is this the booster ?

Thank you :s12:

Last edited:

Shion

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
Summary:
My existing antenna ("NMS") is positioned at Point A, unable to receive MY channels (used to be able) + SG channels signal quality and intensity ("q" and "i") both drop to ~50%

Changed to another antenna ("MD" - refer to pic in previous post), position it at Point A, SG channels signal q+i both near 100%, but no MY channels. Re-position this MD along the windows and found only 1 specific spot + angle that has enough strength to receive MY channels (at ~20% signal i and 0% signal q)

Revert back to NMS and put back at Point A, but this time connect to a power inserter, and both signal q+i for SG channels hit 100%, MY channels signal q <5% (no image, no sound).

Assumption 1: Since MD appears to be better, if I connect it to the power inserter, possible to receive MY channels again at Point A ? -> Will test it out tomorrow

Question 1: I connected the power inserter to the USB port of my wireless router (the nearest device with a USB port) -> What is the effect on my wireless router in the long run ?

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.