Anyoone tried using YouTrip?

mojipei

Reaction score
Is it safe and is it convenient to use, is there any catch?

Apparently, we put S$3000 in our phone wallet. Once we arrive in Japan, we can withdraw the cash from any Cirrus or Maestro ATM machine. There will be a charge of S$5. However, if you charge to the Mastercard, they claimed that there will be no charges. Any other hidden agenda here?

The S$3000 actually goes where?

Any expert here, please advise. Thank you.

Niaoson

Master Member
Reaction score
The 3000SGD is stored in the card account.
You can either use the card for shopping (online or in real life) or for cash withdrawal.
5SGD charge applies for cash withdrawal.
No charge applies for shopping payment via Master.
Based on what other people have shared, seems like there is a 100000JPY cap per withdrawal.
Factoring in the 5SGD service charge, not sure whether you will be better off just exchanging cash locally.
Checked the rate at money changer just now - 12.28SGD:1000JPY whereas YouTrip offers 12.21SGD:1000JPY.
Marginally better but might be offset by the 5SGD charge

dexboi

Master Member
Reaction score
Am in Japan now. Already used YouTrip physical card to make a few purchases. Rates are much much better if you let youtrip do everything for you upon swiping your card automatically.

I.e. Do NOT perform SGD to JPY exchange in the app. Keep the monies in SGD wallet and let YouTrip do the rest when you make your spendings. I am getting as high as 1SGD = 82.63JPY for my spends today @ Universal Studio Japan, whereas the currency exchange function only gives you 82.10.

Still, I exchange about S$1000 worth of JPY cash in Singapore cos not many places accept cards.

Niaoson

Master Member
Reaction score
Am in Japan now. Already used YouTrip physical card to make a few purchases. Rates are much much better if you let youtrip do everything for you upon swiping your card automatically.

I.e. Do NOT perform SGD to JPY exchange in the app. Keep the monies in SGD wallet and let YouTrip do the rest when you make your spendings. I am getting as high as 1SGD = 82.63JPY for my spends today @ Universal Studio Japan, whereas the currency exchange function only gives you 82.10.

Still, I exchange about S$1000 worth of JPY cash in Singapore cos not many places accept cards.

Wow that is a very good rate!
Based on your rate, it is equivalent to 12.10SGD:1000JPY
Spot rate at the moment is 12.13SGD:1000JPY

sendtolee

Reaction score

I remember that there is no refund for unsee credits/money inside youtrip. Am I correct?

If yes, have to spend everything liao...

Vitacimin

Reaction score
I remember that there is no refund for unsee credits/money inside youtrip. Am I correct?

What's wrong with the money inside a prepaid mastercard? You can use it practically everywhere

s7460597

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

You can transfer funds into your card just before use. Good thing can be easily and quickly done. Of course load one time is less troublesome.

vling

Reaction score
I've used Youtrip card during my Tokyo trip 2 months ago. Almost 80-90% of my spending is using the card, it's very convenient. But do bring some cash along too because some smaller eateries like ramen shops etc do not take card payment. Have not tried atm withdrawals though.

peepee

Reaction score
I just converted sgd to yen. Then I thought about checking HWZ. Well now I too have S$1000 worth of yen or 79161 yen...ok not converting anymore but keep in sgd. thanks for the advice

peepee

Reaction score
I think no. I try in 7-11 but think lady don’t understand me. Also some outlet use magnetic strips instead of the smart chip and card fail. But today I’m in Kyoto station, it go through! I also don’t know why. Left with 8 k yen cash but don’t really want go atm since got 5$ charge

Anyone knows if we can top up Japan IC cards using Youtrip?

peepee

Reaction score
Strange now in Nagoya but the magnetic strip don’t work again and restaurant don’t have smart chip.

Sprinter261

Reaction score
Sounds like Youtrip is not a good backup option in Japan. When you top up at Kyoto station, did you use those machines similar to our SG GTM? There's an option to pay by Visa/Master?

I think no. I try in 7-11 but think lady don’t understand me. Also some outlet use magnetic strips instead of the smart chip and card fail. But today I’m in Kyoto station, it go through! I also don’t know why. Left with 8 k yen cash but don’t really want go atm since got 5$ charge

hermes76

Master Member
Reaction score
So this YouTrip card can use as a credit card? No need topup to the wallet to be used right? For the ATM pin, is a 4-digit pin same as YouTrip pin? I dun wanna later card kena eaten in Japan then jialat

Sent from HUAWEI EVR-L29 using GAGT

BigMonkey

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So this YouTrip card can use as a credit card? No need topup to the wallet to be used right? For the ATM pin, is a 4-digit pin same as YouTrip pin? I dun wanna later card kena eaten in Japan then jialat

Sent from HUAWEI EVR-L29 using GAGT

it is not a cc, it is a pay wallet. you have to top up sgd into the wallet to use it.

edixian

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If top up $1k, but end of hte day, spending is $999, so the balance how? Can't be so exact amt spending

it is not a cc, it is a pay wallet. you have to top up sgd into the wallet to use it.

invigo79

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Went to Japan last month and use this card.

Only can top up max 3k. Made the mistake of converting all 3k to yen. Cannot top up card coz all transactions are still pending.

Have to wait 2-3 days then can top up a bit. Really troublesome.

Lesson learn: leave the money in SGD and let them convert for you when you do any transactions.

Sent from Home using GAGT

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.