AMD Ryzen NB Discussion| Lenovo Thinkpad E495/E595/T495/X395 Well-rounder performance CPU + GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Zero info on what kind / model of SSD it is. Given price, it may be M.2 SATA, which is alot slower than the NVMe M.2 drive of the Thinkpad E485/E585. Also TN panel for screen and only 1 yr standard off-site warranty for this HP laptop. Hmm

That's why I mentioned there will be serious cost cut to get to this price point. But to be honest, it's still very good in value to me. At this price point and in the Intel camp, you likely will get a Pentium Silver laptop with 64/128GB eMMC, and not even a SATA3 SSD.

8-lane

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Slowdown

Master Member
Reaction score
My E585 is a Ryzen 7 and I have not used Ryzen 3 yet. I do have a mini PC running N5000 quad-core that I used for causal surfing. I have no issue using it for internet browsing and watching stream or video. For work wise (like using Excel) I would use a better processor like my E585 notebook. It will run faster.

I have three setup at home. Daily-use like internet surfing and you-know-what, I use my mini PC. Low powered. Thus can be 24x7. If gaming I turn on my desktop with ryzen 5 2400g. For mobility I uses my E585 notebook.

Lol ok.. hey do u know if Intel Pentium N5000 quad-core is better than Ryzen 3 dual core for a laptop?

8-lane

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My E585 is a Ryzen 7 and I have not used Ryzen 3 yet. I do have a mini PC running N5000 quad-core that I used for causal surfing. I have no issue using it for internet browsing and watching stream or video. For work wise (like using Excel) I would use a better processor like my E585 notebook. It will run faster.

I have three setup at home. Daily-use like internet surfing and you-know-what, I use my mini PC. Low powered. Thus can be 24x7. If gaming I turn on my desktop with ryzen 5 2400g. For mobility I uses my E585 notebook.

Icic.......

Last edited:

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Lol ok.. hey do u know if Intel Pentium N5000 quad-core is better than Ryzen 3 dual core for a laptop?

I don't have the answer either, but my gut feel is that the Ryzen 3 is definitely faster even though it is missing 2 physical core to compete. Even though the Pentium Silver chips have 4 cores, they are typically limited to run at 10W, shared between the CPU and GPU. Assuming equal power rating, the Ryzen core will still be quite a bit faster, running alongside with a fairly powerful Vega 3 GPU. You can get a good indication by checking say an Intel i3 vs a Pentium Silver comparison.

8-lane

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don't have the answer either, but my gut feel is that the Ryzen 3 is definitely faster even though it is missing 2 physical core to compete. Even though the Pentium Silver chips have 4 cores, they are typically limited to run at 10W, shared between the CPU and GPU. Assuming equal power rating, the Ryzen core will still be quite a bit faster, running alongside with a fairly powerful Vega 3 GPU. You can get a good indication by checking say an Intel i3 vs a Pentium Silver comparison.

Oh r u saying that a Ryzen 3 is as fast as an Intel i3?

8-lane

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Icic.. thanks guys.. :s12:

BabyTurkey

Reaction score
Hey, just updated to the latest version of Chrome (73.0.3683.75). That seems to solve the facebook and youtube video problems. No longer need to disable hardware acceleration or the ANGLE D3D9 workarounds.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey, just updated to the latest version of Chrome (73.0.3683.75). That seems to solve the facebook and youtube video problems. No longer need to disable hardware acceleration or the ANGLE D3D9 workarounds.

I also suspected could be chrome issue not graphic driver.
For those who after update still encounter issue, suggest
reinstall Chrome from fresh.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I also suspected could be chrome issue not graphic driver.
For those who after update still encounter issue, suggest
reinstall Chrome from fresh.
Which is why I don't bother enabling hardware acceleration. I am one that don't update driver if its working fine for me. However Chrome updates automatically, which tends to break or cause issues from time to time.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Which is why I don't bother enabling hardware acceleration. I am one that don't update driver if its working fine for me. However Chrome updates automatically, which tends to break or cause issues from time to time.

True, same for me my Chrome the auto update is disabled.
I only update once a while or when there is a big version.

akloaklo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys ,
I'm thinking of getting a E585 / A485.

Want to customize it. So a few questions.

In A484 1st and 2nd hard disk are SSD. What's the difference between 2 SSD vs 1x Bigger capactity SSD?

Is A485 the better model and better wifi chips?

Last edited:

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys ,
I'm thinking of getting a E585 / A485.

Want to customize it. So a few questions.

In A484 1st and 2nd hard disk are SSD. What's the difference between 2 SSD vs 1x Bigger capactity SSD?

Is A485 the better model and better wifi chips?

A485 is the better model not only the WIFI, the chassis,
ports and etc. are are much better.
A485 also have docking port if you intend to get a docking station.

SSD wise recommended just get a m.2 SSD minimum 128GB for OS
will do.
No really recommended to get a big SSD for data storage, a HDD
will be much better over SSd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.