Votes: 3 3.5%

• Total voters

elmariachi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

elmariachi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. Good to know that their Z390 mobos are fine.

It was quite a disgusting experience trying to update the bios on my Gigabyte mobo lol. Their software is really horrible, worst of the bunch.

Unfortunately I'm stuck with Gigabyte's software on my laptop. Can't use it properly without installing some of their intrusive software and drivers. Living nightmare.

They should sack their software team and hire better people. Its a damn $2B revenue company.

BIOS updating should always be done via Qflash in the bios itself. So upload the BIOS bin file onto a thumbstick and flash it within the BIOS.

Gigabyte is crap for software. I've not installed a single Gigabyte software on my board because it just takes up too much CPU usage and makes your games stutter and run badly. I found this out the hard way.

But if you run it clean and set all the settings within the BIOS, you're golden. At least with my Z390 and my 9700k, it's been nothing short of flawless. I only went back to Gigabyte because my Z170X paired with my 6700k worked so well for so long which was heavily overclocked as well. I've sold the board after 3.5 years and it's still working with the new owner. Hardware yes, software big NO.

ra[g]e

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
BIOS updating should always be done via Qflash in the bios itself. So upload the BIOS bin file onto a thumbstick and flash it within the BIOS.

Gigabyte is crap for software. I've not installed a single Gigabyte software on my board because it just takes up too much CPU usage and makes your games stutter and run badly. I found this out the hard way.

But if you run it clean and set all the settings within the BIOS, you're golden. At least with my Z390 and my 9700k, it's been nothing short of flawless. I only went back to Gigabyte because my Z170X paired with my 6700k worked so well for so long which was heavily overclocked as well. I've sold the board after 3.5 years and it's still working with the new owner. Hardware yes, software big NO.
You would think that more than 10 years after BIOS flashing within Windows was introduced, it would be more stable and reliable now! Luckily for me I've never had an issue doing that across multiple devices for many years. I do understand that there is a non-zero risk but its super easy to do. Except for Gigabyte.

For my desktop I've had to install RGB Fusion to control the RGBs on the mobo. That and the BIOS flashing utility. Both are horrible. Never installed anything else.

For my laptop...........

ah_khoo

Reaction score
Msi for me, simply becoz their AMD boards are best bang for bucks:

1.they use very decent components (especially for mosfets) for its price

2. They bothered to update d bios for rather dated board (my b350 tomahawk still gettin bios update for fixed/override option for vcore/vimc, previously only override mode available)

3. Their software is gettin better (ui mite not be as chio but get d things done)

4. Excellent support from corbel folks.

:)

Shutterbox

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Have used gigabyte, msi, Asus, asrock, biostar, nforce, Tyan, aopen, DFI, ECS, Intel

All good leh, but I tend to buy msi much more.

Haven't tried supermicro, evga, Chaintech, Soyo, Epox

@Corbell

Suspended
Reaction score
Hi bro,

Corbell is now the disty for GBT notebook. Saw your comment about your Aero 15X. We want to see what can we help for your issues.

Can you PM me a picture of your invoice and product serial number? Cheers. :)

For those looking to buy Gigabyte motherboards, please make sure you research the particular model you are interested in.

I blindly followed the brand name and chased the beautiful RGBs and have big regrets.

Some of Gigabyte's motherboards have extremely poor VRM cooling. At OC the VRM temps will exceed 100 degs. This is because of extremely poor factory design of the heatsinks (in particular the tolerances with the screws), they hardly press on the thermal pads even after tightening. You have to remove the washers and force it, causing the motherboard to bend.

For some of the affected motherboards, Gigabyte released a "v2" that supposedly corrected the problem with even bigger heatsinks - after reviewers tested the "v2", the exact same problem was there, because of poor tolerances, the heatsinks hardly press on the thermal pads.

Gigabyte says this is "okay" but who would want OC VRM temps at 100+ degs when other mobos have OC VRM temps of under 90 degs. Its like saying that its okay to have CPU temps at 100 degs since its within specifications.

The next thing that I noticed about Gigabyte was the very poor motherboard software. To me its the hardest and most un-intuitive to use - personally I've also had Asus and MSI mobos previously.

So, I would avoid Gigabyte mobos like the plague.

Side Note - Gigabyte Aero 15X

I also bought this laptop from Gigabyte because of the very good ratings on Amazon, and again noticed how poor the workmanship is on their products.

For the mobo they designed it such that the VRM heatsinks didn't screw in tight enough. 1-2mm off.

For their laptop, multiple reports of keyboard keys getting stuck, and I had to pluck out the switch to file the plastic down. Their factory just cannot manufacture items to specific tolerances well. Cost savings?

Not to mention coil whine issues and the nightmare of making sure the specific drivers are used so that the battery life does not drop from 8hrs to 3hrs. If Windows auto-updates, battery life crashes.

Poor software, poor hardware.

Should have stuck with Asus products ARGH!

/rant

Pocoyoz

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Using msi h97 gaming. Cos Corbel near moi house.

Sent from Pocoyo fan club using GAGT

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.