M2 SSD completely dead?

Reaction score
My sis desktop's M2 SSD is unable to boot and I did the following steps so far to try to retrieve the data from it. Are there any other methods :(:(:(

- Booted Linux Live Distro, Ubuntu unable to detect the SSD.
- Placed the SSD in a M2 to USB enclosure and connected it to another PC, no PC can detect it. It shows up in Disk Management, but it is listed as 'Unknown' and 'Not Initialised'. Initialising it to either MBR ot GPT will result in "The request failed due to a fatal device hardware error" .

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
nowadays even ssd cannot be trusted media liao:(

There is no such thing as a trusted media. Even if you carved it on stone, it will also wear out after some time. When it comes to storage, one should always backup important data.

matrix05

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My sis desktop's M2 SSD is unable to boot and I did the following steps so far to try to retrieve the data from it. Are there any other methods :(:(:(

- Booted Linux Live Distro, Ubuntu unable to detect the SSD.
- Placed the SSD in a M2 to USB enclosure and connected it to another PC, no PC can detect it. It shows up in Disk Management, but it is listed as 'Unknown' and 'Not Initialised'. Initialising it to either MBR ot GPT will result in "The request failed due to a fatal device hardware error" .

How old is the M2 SSD and which brand?

LiLAsN

Master Member
Reaction score
- Never ever buy a DRAM-less SSD.
- And always side aside 10% of your SSD as empty (aka Over provisioning) to help optimize the performance and lifespan of your SSD. It is good practice.

Also, best if you can do a clone of your entire OS partition on an external SSD. That way, if your main SSD kaputs, you can boot up your Windows that is just a few months older but have the necessary software and settings on it to keep working while you either RMA your current SSD or attempt to recover any loss data too.

Windows 10 recently screwed up their OS with an update where when I used System restore that is just a few days old, and it made Windows get BSOD upon boot. Seeing how corrupted the OS is, I might as well restore back an old Image that I created 4 months back and now, all I have to do is just update some software and not much else. Everything is working as it is supposed to without having to reinstall everything.

matrix05

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
- And always side aside 10% of your SSD as empty (aka Over provisioning) to help optimize the performance and lifespan of your SSD. It is good practice.

Also, best if you can do a clone of your entire OS partition on an external SSD. That way, if your main SSD kaputs, you can boot up your Windows that is just a few months older but have the necessary software and settings on it to keep working while you either RMA your current SSD or attempt to recover any loss data too.

Windows 10 recently screwed up their OS with an update where when I used System restore that is just a few days old, and it made Windows get BSOD upon boot. Seeing how corrupted the OS is, I might as well restore back an old Image that I created 4 months back and now, all I have to do is just update some software and not much else. Everything is working as it is supposed to without having to reinstall everything.

What is the typical size of an installed OS? Possible to clone to Flash drive?

matrix05

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Windows 10 swallows 20 GB easily.

Running Windows off the flash drive is the worst possible decision you can make (unless you are using Windows 10 Enterprise to go). Most flash drives cannot tolerate the amount of reads/writes for a long period of time, and most of the time you will end up with dismal transfer rates (or a hot-arse flash drive).

Not to run but as clone for HDD.

Reaction score
What brand is the M2 SSD?

Tough luck bro, cannot detect means is likely to be dead...

How old is the M2 SSD and which brand?

Adata SP900, 3 years+. Didn't expect an SSD to fail that fast :s22:

Oh that interesting to know, I didn't know about the DRAM aspect of SSDs. It seems that it results in lower write endurance?

Actually I re-looked at your post. Your drive is still detectable which is a good sign.

Google Testdisk and use it to rescue the M2 SSD. It is likely that your M2 SSD maxed out it's write life.

If you want a simpler interface you will probably need to opt for expensive solutions.

I have tried Testdisk, it doesn't detect the SSD too.

matrix05

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Oh that interesting to know, I didn't know about the DRAM aspect of SSDs. It seems that it results in lower write endurance?

M2 SSD 3 yr plus is painful but not so painful. Even some HDD experience failure 3 yr+. Do you have the original HDD to restore Win10? Nowaday, Win10 is no longer 'generic' and attached to the computerData-restoration wise, not sure how to help.
As for M2 SSD, do they also come in Dram & Dram-less?

LiLAsN

Master Member
Reaction score

Just because the SSD looks cheap, doesn't mean it is good. Make sure the vital features such as DRAM is there.

Without a DRAM, it does not only impact speed, but shortens its lifespan significantly. My Samsung 840 Pro SSD was from 2013 when all I own was an Alienware laptop vs now it being used as a data storage on my Desktop. It's been 6 years and is still working fine.

Why will the speed be impacted? Your data is moved constantly inside the NAND flash storage (to prevent wear and tear). Thus, it needs a map to keep track of where the data is when Windows needs to retrieve the data for you. This information is stored on the DRAM since its way faster.

And due to Windows having to find your data in your SSD and the way Windows constantly reads and writes data, without that DRAM, you can be assured your SSDis going to die sooner.

Also note, in case of a Power failure, the DRAM will be able to transfer whatever last remaining data it is storing to the NAND Flash before it itself loses power. This helps to prevent Data corruption that I'm sure you've experienced now due to data being cut off half way.

That is why, always stay away not from Adata specifically, but any sort of drives like WD's NVMe SSD and more for as long as they do not have DRAMs.
Adata's latest NVMe SSDs do have DRAM. So its all good.

Reaction score
shucks, another one fallen to ADATA...

Did your sis force turn off her computer before the crash. If she did, then she did kill the SSD.

You may need to opt for a more expensive solution I guess.

Nope, the SSD just crashed unexpectedly while the desktop was left on. Not many apps were running at that time too. She said there's some diagnostics screen which appeared though, not sure what's that.

M2 SSD 3 yr plus is painful but not so painful. Even some HDD experience failure 3 yr+. Do you have the original HDD to restore Win10? Nowaday, Win10 is no longer 'generic' and attached to the computerData-restoration wise, not sure how to help.
As for M2 SSD, do they also come in Dram & Dram-less?

Nope I don't. The desktop originally came with the M2 SSD. It seems like the ADATA SP900 is DRAM-less :s22:

sendhalp

Reaction score
PS, borrow topic.

May I know what are some reliable or commonly used applications that can check the health of SSD in OS X/ Mac?

Thanks

matrix05

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nope, the SSD just crashed unexpectedly while the desktop was left on. Not many apps were running at that time too. She said there's some diagnostics screen which appeared though, not sure what's that.

Nope I don't. The desktop originally came with the M2 SSD. It seems like the ADATA SP900 is DRAM-less :s22:

Win10 is attached to the SSD. SSD dead (w/o backup) does that mean you need to buy new SSD and Win 10?
Can SSD expert here recommend some cheap and good dram sata m.2 ssd brands.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the best of the best SSD in the market right now

SLC > SuperMLC > MLC >TLC

This is not a comparison of SSDs, but a comparison of the types of flash NAND. I would also like to clarify the myth that good NAND = good SSD. That is not always the case, and it depends on how the manufacturer implement it. For example if you look at Adata SU900, it comes with MLC NAND, but yet don't seem to perform as well as a TLC SSD.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.