Xiaomi TV Discussion Thread III [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcuser123

Master Member
Reaction score
Just received my 75' MiTV. Well, for starters, its big, well-built.

Panel looks ok.

However, facing issues.
1. Netflix (from Aptoide) crashes very often. Have never been able to watch anything.
2. Youtube (from Aptoide): crashes when I try to sign in with my google account.
3. Youtube: does not seem to display in 4K
4. Dragon TV: my fav IPTV/VOD app does not seem to be able to load.

Suspect cos the PatchWall OS is pure Chinese. Can't support Google logins. Not sure. But that does not explain why Dragon TV does not work.

Alternatively, I now using back as original setup (treating MiTv as a normal display with no "smarts"). More problem occurs, I've always been using a MIbox (global) with my previous tv. And now the remotes are getting mixed up. It seems to control both the MiTv and MiBox. For example: click "back" forces my display to revert back to the MiTV HOME page instead of existing from an app on the MiBox.

Sigh .... have to figure this thing out.

Problems might go away if only the MiTV supports Android TV OS. That would easily eliminate any use of my Mibox.

You might have to install different types of video player as the Chinese don't normally watch netflix, youtube etc; therefore, they might not have all the players installed

http://skyjuiceiswater.blogspot.com/2018/02/xiaomi-tvs-and-box-changing-default.html

It should be known that the Chinese normal version does not support google play except their Pro version or those versions used in India and Indonesia. The Pro version has Andriod TV OS but many have complained because they have not perfected the OS.

It should also be known that for the Chinese version, one cannot sign into youtube because it does not have google services. Have to use Smart Youtube or other Youtube versions.

As for the confusion in using remote controls, you can play around with the CEC control of the Mibox and the TV so that when Mibox is connected to the TV through HDMI setup, Mibox will be able to turn on the TV and take control.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_Electronics_Control

Last edited:

pcuser123

Master Member
Reaction score
I notice something:
There aren't a lot of comments by owners on the picture quality and the brightness etc..
I see that most are buying this brand because
- it's cheap
- it's cheap
- and might work as a substitute for a TV box.

So you may be getting what you pay for .. again YMMV...

Caveat emptor. (not saying it's not good, but one should decide based on your own needs)

For example, if you have a Starhub box, and just need a screen to view some TV channels, news etc, and don't want to pay too much, it's not a bad buy)

When buying Chinese TV (Not only xiaomi), one must remember that many of them especially xiaomi are budget TV minus all the bells and whistles that they don't use in China; other components are roughly the same i.e CPU type or TV screen. Xiaomi used TV panels supplied by Samsung and LG. The quality of motherboard etc are not that bad as can be seen from this article. One thing good about the Chinese TV is that parts are available at Taobao at very cheap price.. only the TV panel is not worth repairing..

http://skyjuiceiswater.blogspot.com/2018/10/how-is-quality-of-xiaomi-tv-mitv.html

In my case, I own 2 Nos of AC Ryan 4K TVbox as well as MiTV4. I found the MiTV4's reception is better than AC Ryan when playing the youtube.

Last edited:

galliano

Master Member
Reaction score
You might have to install different types of video player as the Chinese don't normally watch netflix, youtube etc; therefore, they might not have all the players installed

http://skyjuiceiswater.blogspot.com/2018/02/xiaomi-tvs-and-box-changing-default.html

as for the confusion in using remote controls, you can play around with the CEC control of the Mibox and the TV so that when Mibox is connected to the TV through HDMI setup, Mibox will be able to turn on the TV and take control.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_Electronics_Control

Thanks for the advice. My main issue is whether I can remove the need for the PatchWall OS? Leave it as a ‘dumb’ tv. Cos whenever I click back on the universal remote (Harmony 650) , it kicks me out of the mibox and back into the PatchWall.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. My main issue is whether I can remove the need for the PatchWall OS? Leave it as a ‘dumb’ tv. Cos whenever I click back on the universal remote (Harmony 650) , it kicks me out of the mibox and back into the PatchWall.

I do not think it is possible to disable the Patchwall OS. In your use case it is better to use a dumb TV since you have the Mi Box Global version already. Unfortunately it is not easy to get a decent big screen dumb TV now.

Your Mi TV should come with a Bluetooth remote, so you can cover the infra window of the Mi TV so that your IR Remote will only control Mi Box.

Or get an Air Mouse (with USB receiver) to use with Mi Box. They are pretty cheap. But I guess you still like to use the universal IR remote.

Last edited:

pcuser123

Master Member
Reaction score

Understand most MiTV that sold locally have been customised to have english menu and also, many of the popular APKs and additional players are preinstalled such as to satisfy their customers. If one is not so familiar with the workings of MiTV, it would be good to order MiTV locally although the price is slightly higher as they will have to include the 1 year mandatory warranty etc..

galliano

Master Member
Reaction score
Understand most MiTV that sold locally have been customised to have english menu and also, many of the popular APKs and additional players are preinstalled such as to satisfy their customers. If one is not so familiar with the workings of MiTV, it would be good to order MiTV locally although the price is slightly higher as they will have to include the 1 year mandatory warranty etc..

I did purchase mine locally w 1 year warranty. But YouTube does not allow login, maybe cos my account is gmail. And the Netflix from Aptiode store kinda crashes.

pcuser123

Master Member
Reaction score
I did purchase mine locally w 1 year warranty. But YouTube does not allow login, maybe cos my account is gmail. And the Netflix from Aptiode store kinda crashes.

Try going back to them for advise. They might have solution. One can never log into using original Youtube as there is no google services. Must use other youtube alternatives. I use Smart Youtube. No problem

ABuNeNe

Banned
Reaction score
Anybuttie managed to get Toggle app installed on
the MiTV with Patchwall OS? Or got it running on the new MiTV with Android OS?

galliano

Master Member
Reaction score
Your Mi TV should come with a Bluetooth remote, so you can cover the infra window of the Mi TV so that your IR Remote will only control Mi Box.

Or get an Air Mouse (with USB receiver) to use with Mi Box. They are pretty cheap. But I guess you still like to use the universal IR remote.

Hi, you're very spot-on.
I can't seem to find the silly IR port on the MiTV4, neither are there guides online.

Any help much appreciated.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, you're very spot-on.
I can't seem to find the silly IR port on the MiTV4, neither are there guides online.

Sorry I do not have MiTV. I have a lousy dumb 1080p TV myself to be used with my SingTel TV, old Chromecast 1st gen and old Apple TV 3rd gen, mainly for kids.

Then my Android TV boxes are connected to a 24 inch 1080p monitor, mainly for my own use.

The MiTV users should be able to help you.

pcuser123

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi, you're very spot-on.

MiTV can be controlled by both Bluetooth and IR remote except the older model which is only IR remote. The Bluetooth and IR receiver is usually located at the center directly underneath the TV.
Yes, if you are using IR remote, you can try to cover up the window to try.

Shawshankredempti0n

Reaction score
Try buying a new set of cat 7 cable for better ethernet speed. Google the ethernet cable cat 5, 6 and 7 to understand the features of each type of cable and inform yourself that now cat 7 cable is the bare minimum.

All my ethernet connections from wifi router to pc, fibre modem to wifi router and wifi router to sony x85E tv use cat 7 cables.

Sorry for digging a dead thread.

Cat 7 as minimum? You sure or not.

My 15 years old Cat5E is still doing 1Gbps.

My brand new office in 2017 is using Cat 6.

You smoking what ah?

viklee

Reaction score
anyone is using XiaoMi TV with bluetooth sound bars? do you get static/crackling sound when the input is from HDMI?
I notice when using local apk like youtube, the sound is ok. No issue also if using the tv built in speaker.

pcuser123

Master Member
Reaction score
anyone is using XiaoMi TV with bluetooth sound bars? do you get static/crackling sound when the input is from HDMI?
I notice when using local apk like youtube, the sound is ok. No issue also if using the tv built in speaker.

Very common problem found also in PC and other brands of TV. Some said is due to cable, some said due to YouTube. some said a factory reset fixed the problem, some said change cable, other said to leave the TV off a few minutes then turn it on.

https://www.reddit.com/r/youtube/comments/9ytbtd/lg_43uj635t_static_crackling_sound_with_youtube/

I have the feeling that they have not perfected the ARC of HDMI or rather some TV like Xiaomi cannot properly control when to activate the 5.1 or 2.1 in HDMI ARC. Youtube regular actually does not quite support 5.1 but some movies are in 5.1. Youtube will do the conversion automatically to 2.1, may be not quite perfect in its conversion process.

You can try to turn off the 5.1 in your soundbar and see if they will improve or just use other means such as bluetooth or SPDIF. some claimed YouTube red or the premium version can play 5.1.

pcuser123

Master Member
Reaction score
Sorry for digging a dead thread.

Cat 7 as minimum? You sure or not.

My 15 years old Cat5E is still doing 1Gbps.

My brand new office in 2017 is using Cat 6.

You smoking what ah?

Agree. don't need high speed Ethernet bandwidth to play Movies.. even for 4K movies, the max is 30 Mbps. Cat 5 cable can deliver up to 100Mbps.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
The rated ethernet port speed of most tv sets today is 10/100M. It is not clear if TS has solved his problem. If not I suggest that he should ruled out faulty cable by a known good working cable.

viklee

Reaction score
Very common problem found also in PC and other brands of TV. Some said is due to cable, some said due to YouTube. some said a factory reset fixed the problem, some said change cable, other said to leave the TV off a few minutes then turn it on.

I have the feeling that they have not perfected the ARC of HDMI or rather some TV like Xiaomi cannot properly control when to activate the 5.1 or 2.1 in HDMI ARC. Youtube regular actually does not quite support 5.1 but some movies are in 5.1. Youtube will do the conversion automatically to 2.1, may be not quite perfect in its conversion process.

You can try to turn off the 5.1 in your soundbar and see if they will improve or just use other means such as bluetooth or SPDIF. some claimed YouTube red or the premium version can play 5.1.

My sound bar is not using arc, its bluetooth. Will factory reset clear those preload apps and english translation that the vendor have put in?

galliano

Master Member
Reaction score
MiTV can be controlled by both Bluetooth and IR remote except the older model which is only IR remote. The Bluetooth and IR receiver is usually located at the center directly underneath the TV.
Yes, if you are using IR remote, you can try to cover up the window to try.

Many thanks. Now using the TV with my Mibox(global), which is currently most viable option to enjoy google experience + 4K Youtube + 4K Netflix.

Will wait patiently for MITV OS (mines Android 6.0.1 ver 1.3.86) to be upgraded to Android TV ... ait.

Last edited:

galliano

Master Member
Reaction score
The box for the 75' is huge! Problem disposing it.
IMG_5289.md.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.