Info on Grants/Subsidies Available For First Timer

psychosoccer

Reaction score
Hi, I have a question about the '12 months continuous employment' too.

My wife is a foreigner, so her income will not be taken into account in the HDB loan.

But her income will be taken into consideration for grants? Also, what if I as the Singapore citizen was not in continuous employment for the past 12 months but she is. Will we still qualify for AHG and SHG?

And also, if we apply with our Singaporean child, will we be eligible for the First Timer grants or is it still the Non-Citizen Spouse scheme?

Thank you!

Hi, I am unable to answer you with regard to your qn on grants. You will be eligible for the first timer grant if you apply with both your foreign wife and singaporean baby as you have formed a family nucleus hence it will not be under non-citizen spouse scheme. This is provided that you have fulfilled other eligibility conditions as a first timer.

jeremy_k

Reaction score
Hi, I also have a question regarding the 12 months continuous employment requirement. My gf and I are considering to apply for the next upcoming BTO, which will be held in May 2019. I started working in July 2018 which means by end of May 2019, I would have worked for 11 months continuously. I understand that the submission of AHG/SHG application is during flat booking appointment, which is roughly 6 weeks after flat application. By then, I would have worked for 12 months continuously. However, I understand that the clause stated I have to work for 12 months continuously prior to the "flat application date" so I am not sure whether will I still be eligible for AHG/SHG. Anyone encountered similar case before?

vinz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, I also have a question regarding the 12 months continuous employment requirement. My gf and I are considering to apply for the next upcoming BTO, which will be held in May 2019. I started working in July 2018 which means by end of May 2019, I would have worked for 11 months continuously. I understand that the submission of AHG/SHG application is during flat booking appointment, which is roughly 6 weeks after flat application. By then, I would have worked for 12 months continuously. However, I understand that the clause stated I have to work for 12 months continuously prior to the "flat application date" so I am not sure whether will I still be eligible for AHG/SHG. Anyone encountered similar case before?
Actually its 12 months prior to flat application (submit application online for BTO ballot, pay $10) , not flat booking (which i assume you meant the stage where u get to choose the unit of your choice)

From HDB website :
You and/ or your spouse/ fiancé(e) are employed at the time you submitted the flat application, and have been continuously employed for the 12 months prior to the flat application

For your case, you are obviously not eligible, so maybe you want to skip this BTO or skip this grant.

Pls click : First-Timer Applicants AHG / SHG

Take note, they are quite strict on this 12 months deadline and really want income payslip + cpf proof.

From May 2018 onwards, they actually relax this rule for couples who are both studying or in NS etc.

From HDB website :
Both parties of a couple must: Be full-time students or National Servicemen (NSF); or
Have completed studies or National Service (NS) within the last 12 months prior to the flat application.

pls click : Deferred Income Assessment

Pls check which is relevant to you. The new rule (May 2018) should be the more applicable one.

-vinz

Last edited:

jeremy_k

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply vinz. If you take a look at the HDB first timer housing grants, it is stated that “If eligible, please download the relevant AHG application form or AHG/ SHG application form and submit it to us during your flat booking appointment.” So I wanted to try my luck to apply for AHG/SHG since I only need to submit the housing grants application form during flat booking appointment. Yes, I understand the chance is slim and I did not meet the “continuously employed for the 12 months prior to the flat application” and HDB has recently announced that the waiting time for balloting result will be shortened from 6 weeks to 3 weeks, which means I might not even meet the 12 months employment prior to flat booking appointment (provided my ballot is successful). Maybe I would like to ask what is the intent of meeting this requirement of “continuously employed for the 12 months prior to the flat application” in order to apply for housing grants? Rules are rules but they are always created for a reason.

Last edited:

vinz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Real reason, please write in to HDB to ask.

My personal opinion :
HDB want to ensure the lower income group (thus eligible for this grant) are actually in some form of full time employment (12 months) before they attempt to "BUY" a bto. This at least make sure they are self sustaining themself ,and with HLE (maximum loan allowed) + some form of AHG SHG grant, they are able to proceed with the purchase, and most important able to pay off the monthly loan.

I would had think of the headaches HDB officer face when a owner default on payment due to lost of job etc . Imagine a part timer working every alternate month and expect a loan from HDB (and this AHG SHG too). Sooner or later problem will come for the owner and HDB also.

Louis93

Reaction score
Hey A little Help here please . Would like to know if my sale of balance flat choosing of location has been approved .. next step is for the unit selection . Isit possible if i want to change the location instead ?.

ssian84

Master Member
Reaction score
Change location would be giving up current exercise and you have to apply in next exercise.
You will receive letter or check your account?
You should be receiving email

Hey A little Help here please . Would like to know if my sale of balance flat choosing of location has been approved .. next step is for the unit selection . Isit possible if i want to change the location instead ?.

ngufree

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, got a quick question, first time looking at BTO and everything here.

I am looking at Kallang/Whampoa (mature town) selling price including grants, $518k.

http://esales.hdb.gov.sg/bp25/launch/19feb/bto/19FEBBTO_page_6280/$file/about0.html

1) Am I right to say that they assumed the minimum grant available ($5k) under AHG for those with combined income ceiling of $5k, and they deduct from $523k?

2) Also, if I am eligible for additional grants, like PHG ($20k), do I further deduct $20k from $518k?, and then work out my down payment, and HDB loan amount from there?

3) Do the above calculations work for resale flats too?

Thanks in advance!

Peasantboy

Master Member
Reaction score
The grants can be used for the downpayment (e.g. HDB loan means 10% downpayment) then if you wish to take a smaller loan and pay off more, you can use your CPF OA and cash.

Just fyi, PHG is only for resale flats.

Hi guys, got a quick question, first time looking at BTO and everything here.

I am looking at Kallang/Whampoa (mature town) selling price including grants, $518k.

1) Am I right to say that they assumed the minimum grant available ($5k) under AHG for those with combined income ceiling of $5k, and they deduct from $523k?

2) Also, if I am eligible for additional grants, like PHG ($20k), do I further deduct $20k from $518k?, and then work out my down payment, and HDB loan amount from there?

3) Do the above calculations work for resale flats too?

Thanks in advance!

8zaoyu

Reaction score
If you intent to buy a >$500k flat at Kallang, I think it's probably for a good unit (high floor) of a 3-room flat only and dependent on a good queue number. The 4-room BTO in this mature estate (SHG not applicable) costs up to $674k!(What is this future family going to feed on if earning below $5K which is the max. household income for getting a $5k AHG) For this price, you can get 4 -room resale in District 12 with a $20k proximity grant (to be sunk into your CPFs later upon selling of flat with interest)

ecstatic

Reaction score
Hi, I'm getting a resale unit with my mom.
I'm a first timer while my mom has purchased house twice with my late dad.

I was told I'm m not entitled to any grants 😕

Propertee

Reaction score
Hello Yihao93,

Yes, that is true, at least of you must be working >12 months to have your combined income assessed. Hope this helps

Propertee

Reaction score
Hi, I'm getting a resale unit with my mom.
I'm a first timer while my mom has purchased house twice with my late dad.

I was told I'm m not entitled to any grants 😕
Hello Ecstatic,

Since the previous flats were under your mum's name, I believe that she will not qualify for any first time grants. However, if the incoming resale flat is under your name, you will need to fulfil some criteria in order to qualify for the grants. e.g at least of 35 years old. I have seen this on Carousell's blog and I thought it might be of great help! > https://blog.carousell.com/property/hdb-resale-flat-singapore-grants/[/QUOTE]

Nbnbna

Reaction score
just to check, i just know my hdb grant. i got housing grant 50k but additional housing grant only 15k which is too low because i only earn 3.5k but my wife has not been working for more then 1 year and i have a 7 month old son. So i'm wondering why my additional housing grant is not 35k as i believe my average monthly income should be 3.5k / 2 ?

Hi I would like to clarify with you. For the housing grant if we are eligible we sure will get? Cos I'm also earning around 3500 - 3800. Wife is housewive so no income for her. For me the housing grant means alot. Thank you.

psychosoccer

Reaction score
Hi I would like to clarify with you. For the housing grant if we are eligible we sure will get? Cos I'm also earning around 3500 - 3800. Wife is housewive so no income for her. For me the housing grant means alot. Thank you.

If you fulfill all the requirements, i don’t see why hdb will not approve your AHG and SHG. Based on your income, your AHG should be 15k as you fall in the $3501 - $4000 bracket. The average income refers to total household income (you + your spouse) for past 12 months from application date divide by 12 months. Hope it clarifies.

Nbnbna

Reaction score
If you fulfill all the requirements, i don’t see why hdb will not approve your AHG and SHG. Based on your income, your AHG should be 15k as you fall in the $3501 - $4000 bracket. The average income refers to total household income (you + your spouse) for past 12 months from application date divide by 12 months. Hope it clarifies.

Understood! Thank you for the clarification!

20LEGEND

Reaction score
thanks for sharing your resources guys. very helpful cos i will be in the market for a BTO soon.

Reaction score
regarding the AHG and SHG grant, the average monthly household income over 12 months is referring to me and my spouse?

and also the the calculation is it:

(my monthly salary x 12 + my spouse monthly salary x12 ) / 12

where

monthly salary is the gross salary without incentives, allowance and also 13th month AWS?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.